PDA

View Full Version : Need your guys' help: Recently purchased car from BC.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-18-2008, 12:09 AM
A good friend of mine purchased a car from Vancouver with intent to drive it back to Calgary. A few hours into the drive, the car overheated and was slowly dripping coolant. My friend then filled the radiator with water, as he did not have access to coolant, then proceeded home. Five hours without overheating, the car then spilt the entire conents of the radiator through "the engine near the pully" as he told me.

He left the car in Golden, BC. After he explained to me the situation, I drove out with parts I thought would fix the problem; a water pump, silicon etc.. When I got there I noticed all the water pump bolts backed off so the water pump was barely intact.

We towed it back to Calgary, where I fixed the water pump. After I fixed the water pump, the car wouldn't start- it flooded. I took out the spark plugs to find green fluid in 3 cylinders. So either the HG is gone or the block is cracked.

What I'm getting to is, is there any gov legislation/code/bylaw or whatever (I have no clue about this sort of thing)in the PROVINCE OF BC, where we are able to get his money back/reimbursed for labour and parts? I'm familiar with Bills of Sales being under the condition of "as is", however when this incident happens literally a few hours after signing it over?!?!

Thanks in Advance

revelations
09-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Nothing in BC.... I've bought a few vehicles there - and each one went through a comprehensive check, including compression test - but its definitely buyer beware.

Joe-G
09-18-2008, 01:01 AM
What kind of vehicle was it?

zieg
09-18-2008, 01:01 AM
^seconded.

eglove
09-18-2008, 01:16 AM
pretty sure you're SOL.

maybe call the seller, lay the heat down on him. maybe he'll crack and spill the (real) details

max_boost
09-18-2008, 01:38 AM
:werd:

So the car drove fine, passed inspections and then started acting up 3 hours into the drive home? Shitty deal for your friend, total pwnage. Doubt the seller is going to do anything. He's got his money, time to peace it.

Casa
09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
oh shit!

project240
09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
I had a similar experience happen when I was 17 and bought a car. I lived in Sask at the time and bought a car in Calgary. On my drive home the front passenger axle broke snapped and caused a few thousand in damage.

I tried to get some money back, but was unsuccessful. I only bought the car for $4000 and figured why spend the money on an inspection, seems like a good car....

Sounds like he made the same mistake as I did at the time, an inspection would have caught this.

Live and Learn.

Stunt66
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Was it a private sale or dealer?

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
It was a private sale. Yeah the car was fine when he picked it up, the car uses rubber gasket to seal the water pump if it was loose on pick up it would have been leaking already. So the Bolts backed off from vibration of the car.

revelations
09-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Bought from what part of the city - Surrey? :nut:

eglove
09-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Bought from what part of the city - Surrey? :nut:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk111/lornesbored/44.jpg
bumper sticker

Synne
09-18-2008, 12:40 PM
What kind of car??

revelations
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by eglove

bumper sticker

All the stereotypes are so true!!

dragonone
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
if you think about this from the other side..... you let the buyer take it for a thorough test and everything was ok. no one could argue that you knew or didn't know something was wrong when you were selling it. would you pay for any repairs AFTER the transaction was done? I know I wouldn't. Surely on the contract that they drafted up on any second hand vehicle there are words along the lines of "AS-IS".

Accord_tunerx
09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
ill give the owner hell. I wouldn't let that shit SLIDE! at all. One you fly out there to even look at that car, second you would expect that the car is driveable back to calgary, just call the owner and see wtf is going on.

what car is bought over there? i brought a car back from victoria b.c a week or two ago. i was scared cause teh only flight out i got was at 9 pm and there wasnt a dealership around for me to take inspection. but the owner was honest about the car. but took some shit off the car, before i got there that was shady!

in the end it really how you talk to them.

EDIt: that my opinion thats all

Crymson
09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Look, wether the owner knew or not. It's ALWAYS BUYER BEWARE in a used market. If there was ANY doubt as to the condition of the vehicle, the owner's integriy, etc.. etc.. the buyer can 1) get pre-purchase inpsection done at ANY dealership, like 200$ 2) decide to walk. It shouldn't matter if the car shit the bed 5 seconds after signing the paperwork or 5 years. Cars are visciously complex and random shit happens all the time.

FAR too often people get themselves into this situation because they think a 5 minute test drive is enough to know the vehicle, or 2) because they're so infatuated with the look/make/model, they won't walk away from a shifty salesman.

Mabey the seller was trying to pull a fast one, but if i was in his shoes, and just sold your buddy what i thought was a good car -- i wouldn't returned a thing. If i had a guilty conscience because i knew something was wrong, and sold it anyway -- mabey i'd give something back, so it's worth talkign to him.

finboy
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by eglove

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk111/lornesbored/44.jpg
bumper sticker

best bumper sticker ever :rofl:

Zero102
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
So, the car had water pump issues, fine, minor mechanical issue. Your friend overheated it, and now it has headgasket issues (probably warped head). Likely the car had recently had a new water pump installed if this problem just cropped up now. Sounds like the seller was doing preventative maintenance and your friend didn't help any by driving it after it started overheating.

revelations
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
^ on that note, I am reminded of an incident where my sister-in-law was driving around in her '89 corolla with about 0.5L of coolant.

The coolant temp gauge showed no problems BECAUSE THERE WASNT ANY COOLANT TO MEASURE - so of course she didnt think the car was overheating.

The stupid thing still ran for another 2-3 years after that (tranny failed).

Sorath
09-19-2008, 01:29 AM
ur fault for not doing an inspection before purchasing, either way i think ur sol

Kavy
09-19-2008, 01:42 AM
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/ebay-psp-demotivational-poster.jpg

Tik-Tok
09-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD
When I got there I noticed all the water pump bolts backed off so the water pump was barely intact.

We towed it back to Calgary, where I fixed the water pump. After I fixed the water pump, the car wouldn't start- it flooded. I took out the spark plugs to find green fluid in 3 cylinders. So either the HG is gone or the block is cracked.

I'm guessing he cracked the block when he poured cold water into an overheated engine. As for why the water pump bolts were backed off in the first place is a good question, but no there is no legistlation to help him.