PDA

View Full Version : yet another playground zone rant

hampstor
09-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I know i'm not the only one that is annoyed with people who have no idea when playground zones actually start and end!

Every morning I head to work, I pass through 2 playground zones about 7:30 and 7:45am. On special mornings, I run into people who slow down for these playground zones.

This morning, a woman (in an X5 mind you...) slows down to 30 about a block before the playground zone - and a block after too. Being the douche I am, I rode her bumper down the hill :rofl:

At the next light she rolls down her window and yells at me (had my window open). Something to the effect of, "You know that you have to slow down for playground zones." I yelled back, "I hope you realize playground zones don't start until 8:30am".

The bitch rolled up her window and stopped talking to me!!

teggypimp95
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Haha i have this happen to me all the time also. Drives me nuts, but i love giving people hell for it lol.

PINOY-X
09-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Pollywog
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

At the next light she rolls down her window and yells at me (had my window open). Something to the effect of, "You know that you have to slow down for playground zones." I yelled back, "I hope you realize playground zones don't start until 8:30am".

The bitch rolled up her window and stopped talking to me!!

I've been behind those people before, only HOPING that a similar conversation would arise. Thats funny man. :rofl:

Eleanor
09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah I know, I love it when everyone is crawling through a school zone at 7 at night. They all look at me like I'm the anti-christ :rofl:

Civ2NR
09-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Kids in my neighbourhood are on bus stops and hence in playground zones around 7:30am. Slowing down and adding 15 seconds to your commute is much better than having to live with mowing down someones kid, even if the zone technically doesn't start until 0830hrs.

hampstor
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Civ2NR
Kids in my neighbourhood are on bus stops and hence in playground zones around 7:30am. Slowing down and adding 15 seconds to your commute is much better than having to live with mowing down someones kid, even if the zone technically doesn't start until 0830hrs.

Please slow down to 30 while driving down every road in teh city because kids are walking down the sidewalk.

hampstor
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

I've been behind those people before, only HOPING that a similar conversation would arise. Thats funny man. :rofl:

I've been wanting the same thing for years now. I finally got my chance I knew EXACTLY what to say but the bitch rolled up her window!

em2ab
09-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa stfu
who cares!

Actually I didn't know so thanks for posting. I realize the times are posted on the sign but I can never read that many small numbers as I'm passing by. It's also until 1 hour after sunset, not a specific end time...I don't think.

Civ2NR
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
hampstor Originally posted by Civ2NR

Please slow down to 30 while driving down every road in teh city because kids are walking down the sidewalk.

Oh give me a break, we are talking about playground zones here not barlow trail. I'm just saying that just because its before 8:30 doesn't mean there are not kids around.

Pollywog
09-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Bullshit - Playground Zones and School zones do the opposite of what we should be doing in this country. It is "Bubble-wrapping" our kids, completely obliterating some of the pressures on parents, particularly with strictly informing children of the dangers of traffic and proper pedestrian etiquette at a young age. Kids walk the streets everywhere, not just around their school. If you are 6 years old and attending kindergarten you should know not to dart off the sidewalk onto the road - if not, thats what "survival of the fittest" is for.

tm88
09-18-2008, 09:18 AM
em2ab... Its playground zones that go to one hour after sunset

School zones have 3 times...I thought it was 8-930 (obviously this thread made it clear its not), some time around lunch and thena gain from 3-4:30

to the OP, people who ride my ass end up sitting at that next light longer than they wanted and sometimes are unfortunate enough to have to sit through another red if i time it right. I do know your frustration in someone not understanding the rules however being tailgated is the biggest piss offs imo.

Stunt66
09-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Bullshit - Playground Zones and School zones do the opposite of what we should be doing in this country. It is "Bubble-wrapping" our kids, completely obliterating some of the pressures on parents, particularly with strictly informing children of the dangers of traffic and proper pedestrian etiquette at a young age. Kids walk the streets everywhere, not just around their school. If you are 6 years old and attending kindergarten you should know not to dart off the sidewalk onto the road - if not, thats what "survival of the fittest" is for.

Is this an actual serious reply?

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe she stopped talking after cause you gave her the Nammer staredown :rofl: :rofl:

Ntense_SpecV
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by tm88

School zones have 3 times...I thought it was 8-930 (obviously this thread made it clear its not), some time around lunch and thena gain from 3-4:30

to the OP, people who ride my ass end up sitting at that next light longer than they wanted and sometimes are unfortunate enough to have to sit through another red if i time it right. I do know your frustration in someone not understanding the rules however being tailgated is the biggest piss offs imo.

School zones do not go away just because the kiddy's are back inside - they run from 8-5pm every day when school is in session.
Playground zones run from 8:30-1 hour passed sunset and the cops really do take the time the sun sets down in a record.

Pollywog
09-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66

Is this an actual serious reply?

I have no problem slowing to 30 in playground zones, and I always drive at or slightly under the max speed limit in town. However I, as well as many other people and whole towns/cities that have destroyed the "zones", will say that the whole point of playground zones is a band-aid on an increasingly more common traffic situations. Cars are growing in numbers, and roads are getting busier. We need to adapt children at a young age towards the concept of being very aware of traffic and your surrounding environment.

Besides, Calgary has even started to get the hint. They removed 28-something speed regulations in playground zones this last year, and kept a diamond shaped sign with children playing in it to remind drivers to stay extra aware of children in the area. When I moved here, I couldn't believe how many "zones" there are.

Kennyredline
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM

We should all just park our cars and walk everywhere...let's tear up all the roads and lay grass down instead.
PUUUSSSSSAAAAYYYYYY!!!

TunerBaby
09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a playground zone at my house only couple of meters long biggest piss off.

Kennyredline
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Do you drive a pick-up by chance?

Quiet10
09-18-2008, 09:42 AM
^ after that we should start going back to horses and wagon travel again

:dunno:

topmade
09-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I catch myself doing this sometimes. If someone is riding my ass, I'll take a quick look at the time and think what day it is, then floor it if I'm wrong, or stay steady at 30 right to the very end, then floor it if there're just being a douche.

lint
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM

This doesn't make any sense. Since when did they start putting ALL school bus stops in playground zones? When these kids are dropped off at school, that's a school zone.

em2ab
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM

This thread is a playground zone rant....:dunno:

hampstor
09-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Oh give me a break, we are talking about playground zones here not barlow trail. I'm just saying that just because its before 8:30 doesn't mean there are not kids around.

Kids can be out at any hour on any day - ANYWHERE! Barlow, 36th Street, 14th Street, Beddington, Elbow drive, etc.

You realize that kids dont magically appear inside a playground zone, that they actually have to walk from somewhere to get to the playground zone right? Do you think we should designate the path from every child's house to the playground zone a playground zone as well?

AS A PARENT, until my son old enough to understand he can't run out onto the road whenever he wants to, I am going to walk him to the playground and be there with him everytime he is near the road - whether it is in a playground zone or along a major road. If he's going to school and has to wait at a bus stop, then I will wait with him if he doesn't understand by that point. That's my job as a parent.

dansmith11
09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
one thing i notice a lot is people who cruise 40 down the road the entire time, they are doing 40 outside the playground zones where they should be doing 50, and then they keep doing 40 in the playground zones when they should be doing 30. its like they think they can just split the difference and it all evens up.

i see it almost everyday.

anyone else notice this? or is my area just full of morons?

kinda OT, but it ranks up there in how annoying it is right along with people doing 30 at 7am.

TC2002
09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

AS A PARENT, until my son old enough to understand he can't run out onto the road whenever he wants to, I am going to walk him to the playground and be there with him everytime he is near the road - whether it is in a playground zone or along a major road. If he's going to school and has to wait at a bus stop, then I will wait with him if he doesn't understand by that point. That's my job as a parent.

Well at least you would do that. I've been in playground/school zones where kids are playing at the park across the street, parent is sitting in their vehicle waving his/her child to run across the street because "we have to go now!"

Swank
09-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by dansmith11
one thing i notice a lot is people who cruise 40 down the road the entire time, they are doing 40 outside the playground zones where they should be doing 50, and then they keep doing 40 in the playground zones when they should be doing 30. its like they think they can just split the difference and it all evens up.

i see it almost everyday.

anyone else notice this? or is my area just full of morons?

kinda OT, but it ranks up there in how annoying it is right along with people doing 30 at 7am.

You read my mind, I want to beat and bury those people with the same shovel.

And people seem to think playground zones end as soon as they can't see the sun. It's an hour after sunset. You can find sunset and sunrise times just about anywhere you can find weather info.

Civ2NR
09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
We should all just park our cars and walk everywhere...let's tear up all the roads and lay grass down instead.
PUUUSSSSSAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Very intelligent reply.

I hear your arguments and can identify with most of them, but simply "kids should know better" isn't enough. Sometimes kids just get so excited by something that they become complacent and rational comes second to what's on their mind in that instant. I'm a little sensitive to this subject because my 4yr old cousin was hit and killed by a car in a playground zone. His soccer ball rolled into the street, his dad shouted and ran after him but...needless to say my uncle has never forgiven himself and that was over 20 years ago.

hampstor
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Very intelligent reply.

I hear your arguments and can identify with most of them, but simply "kids should know better" isn't enough. Sometimes kids just get so excited by something that they become complacent and rational comes second to what's on their mind in that instant. I'm a little sensitive to this subject because my 4yr old cousin was hit and killed by a car in a playground zone. His soccer ball rolled into the street, his dad shouted and ran after him but...needless to say my uncle has never forgiven himself and that was over 20 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Hearing stories like that really hits home for me now since my son is already 7 weeks old.

I do not trust or expect other drivers on the road to have my son's best interests at heart - be it driving 30kph in a playground zone or someone going 60 kph through a playground zone. To that end, until he's old enough to understand not to run out onto the road, it will be constant vigilance on my part - and if he gets hit by a car, I can relate to your uncle and doubt I would ever forgive myself for it either.

Melinda
09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm with you, Minh. It drives me nuts when people are stopping an hour or more before a zone comes into effect. I have zero issues obeying the law and slowing when I need to, but there are times on that sign for a reason. And regardless of times, I whole heartedly think drivers should be able to see kids running out into the street and be able to stop, 30 or 50 should make no difference. Most parks and schools have a no parking zone outside of them for that purpose alone.

Kennyredline
09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
At least be thankful that we have playgrond zones at all...if you're over-vigilant to this kind of thing. Some jurisdictions have a sign that reads "50km/hr unless children present".
If I'm there, looking for kids, doing 50km/hr and one jumps out from behind a parked car...does that make them "present" as I'm slamming my brakes on?

tm88
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ab/news/2006/Morinville_SchoolZones_2_Sep08-06.jpg

To the person who told me that there is no times for playground or school its constant throughout the day...

Yes playground is but school is regular speeds at 10am or 2pm type thing.

Unless this was changed recently, if so ive been driving like a douche.

toastgremlin
09-18-2008, 12:08 PM
It's illegal for homeowners to put signs in the middle of the road saying "SLOW CHILDREN ARE PLAYING," right?

A residential street I have to go down on occasion has taken to blocking off one of the lanes with that, forcing oncoming traffic into my lane.

Kennyredline
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM

To the person who told me that there is no times for playground or school its constant throughout the day...

I'd love to see CPS enforce that...

BigDannyCool
09-18-2008, 12:13 PM

that must be a new sign...all the older blue signs have the 8:30-5:00 or whatever time is on it

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM

I agree with you 100%, and by the sound of hampstor's replay, so does he. Its up to the parents to stop relying on the goverment making these "zones and rules" and start forcing parents to take their kids safety into their own hands. I will do the same thing with my children as hampstor does with his, i will stay glued to my child until such a time as he 100% understands DO NOT RUN ONTO THE ROAD. Parents these days arent doing their jobs anymore, it seems like parents arent teaching their kids street smarts anymore. Lets just let the tv babysit our kids, its too time consuming for us to do it. Isnt there an easier wayyyyy? Parents, get off your lazy asses. And to make the record clear, i also have NO PROBLEM slowing down for school zones and playground zones within the said time.

403ep3
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
On my way to school each day I see jackasses speeding through playground zones. I wanna make a sign that says, 'slow the fuck down asshole'.

rage2
09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Sometimes kids just get so excited by something that they become complacent and rational comes second to what's on their mind in that instant. I'm a little sensitive to this subject because my 4yr old cousin was hit and killed by a car in a playground zone. His soccer ball rolled into the street, his dad shouted and ran after him but...needless to say my uncle has never forgiven himself and that was over 20 years ago.
I don't want to sound like a dick, but doesn't that just prove that playground zones are useless? It didn't save your cousin. Just pointing out the obvious.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I agree with you 100%, and by the sound of hampstor's replay, so does he. Its up to the parents to stop relying on the goverment making these "zones and rules" and start forcing parents to take their kids safety into their own hands. I will do the same thing with my children as hampstor does with his, i will stay glued to my child until such a time as he 100% understands DO NOT RUN ONTO THE ROAD. Parents these days arent doing their jobs anymore, it seems like parents arent teaching their kids street smarts anymore. Lets just let the tv babysit our kids, its too time consuming for us to do it. Isnt there an easier wayyyyy? Parents, get off your lazy asses. And to make the record clear, i also have NO PROBLEM slowing down for school zones and playground zones within the said time.
If I can train my dog (who's slightly retarded sometimes lol) to be off leash and not run into the road, you'd think that parents can train their kids to do the same.

whiskas
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
It's illegal for homeowners to put signs in the middle of the road saying "SLOW CHILDREN ARE PLAYING," right?

A residential street I have to go down on occasion has taken to blocking off one of the lanes with that, forcing oncoming traffic into my lane.

When it's winter beater season just run it over with your car, that'll teach em.

badatusrnames
09-18-2008, 12:49 PM

This sign isn't from Calgary. Check the source on the link - it's for the Morinville RCMP, nice try with the deceptive picture buddy.

EDIT: Found the article which has your picture. The times are the provincial standard:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ab/news/2006/Morinville_SchoolZones_Sep08-06.htm

School zones in Calgary are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, continuously. All school zone signs in Calgary state so. Can't you read?

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/ama.html

"It is now more important than ever for drivers to remain alert in school zones," Sergeant Preston said. The speed limit in school zones is 30 km/h every school day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Parents can help increase traffic safety near schools by parking only in designated locations when dropping off or picking up their children.

You've been driving like a douche.

Ntense_SpecV
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

This sign isn't from Calgary. Check the source on the link - it's for the Morinville RCMP, nice try with the deceptive picture buddy.

EDIT: Found the article which has your picture. The times are the provincial standard:

School zones in Calgary are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, continuously. All school zone signs in Calgary state so. Can't you read?

Thanks for backing me up...I know I can read an english sign - this isn't an attempt to be ignorant as there are many people here in Calgary where they don't speak english as a first language at home.

rc2002
09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I think the people who go 30km/h when the playground zones aren't in effect should be ticketed. There's nothing worse than trying to get to work in the morning and encountering these jackasses.

In Toronto they don't even have playground zones. I haven't heard of records numbers of children being hit by cars there. Calgary and Alberta are both very backwards when it comes to stuff like this. There are too many "conerned parents" advocating for useless laws and regulations.

rage2
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
There are too many "conerned parents" advocating for useless laws and regulations.
That's because this city is overrun with Soccer Moms with lots of free time when the kids are in school haha. They make it a life long pursuit to force their values on all of us to make it a better place for themselves yet believing it's better for everyone. It's a powerful force.

And ya, Calgary is REALLY bad for soccer moms. When I take a day off from work and go for a bike ride around my area during a work day, it's like MILFs roaming the streets everywhere in the middle of the day by my house. They're doing their garden, they're walking around chatting with each other, it's like the Sims or something. So bizarre. They're just chatting it up on the streets talking about the next great thing they can force down our throats. I guess with rich husbands in O&G, they don't really have to go to work?

tm88
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
No need to be a prick about it, I am sure that i am not the only one who was not fully clear on times and what.
If you were not intending to be a prick i take it back however when people say buddy when correcting someone its condecending.
Anyways im not trying to start a e fight about this, I was wrong, you were right. I sit corrected.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

tm88
09-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Kinda sounds like you might be a part of the next truman show lol...

Originally posted by rage2

That's because this city is overrun with Soccer Moms with lots of free time when the kids are in school haha. They make it a life long pursuit to force their values on all of us to make it a better place for themselves yet believing it's better for everyone. It's a powerful force.

And ya, Calgary is REALLY bad for soccer moms. When I take a day off from work and go for a bike ride around my area during a work day, it's like MILFs roaming the streets everywhere in the middle of the day by my house. They're doing their garden, they're walking around chatting with each other, it's like the Sims or something. So bizarre. They're just chatting it up on the streets talking about the next great thing they can force down our throats. I guess with rich husbands in O&G, they don't really have to go to work?

cloud7
09-18-2008, 02:47 PM

That's because this city is overrun with Soccer Moms with lots of free time when the kids are in school haha.

Yes... the are free even when the kids aren't at school... yesterday, my stupid bitch neighbour had the nerve to tell me to slow down on our street when I was going just below 30 km/h. If she has problem with that, next time I'll go the speed limit of 50 km/h and see what she'll say.

Eleanor
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I guess with rich husbands in O&G, they don't really have to go to work?
http://youwintehprize.com/Images/teh-winnar.jpg

Grogador
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow three pages already?? Well a couple weeks ago I realized that the 100 meters of 30kph zone on my way to work is a SCHOOL zone, not a playground zone. I guess it didn't really click that it was right next to a... school. I had been going 30kph there all summer. Guess what? Nobody died or honked or gave me the finger, no one even had to taste my tire iron, I was just annoyed somedays, since you're not supposed to PASS in 30kph zones... Anyway I don't speed in school/playground/construction zones, everywhere else is fair game :thumbsup:

rant/tldr/3ppd yet??

toastgremlin
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

When it's winter beater season just run it over with your car, that'll teach em. Seems like it would teach a better lesson if I got the kid with the car instead while trying to avoid the sign. Hardly sporting, though: the sign did say they were slow.

SkittleFreak
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I saw lady today at 8:50 get pulled over by a charger in a playground zone

ShermanEF9
09-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

PUUUSSSSSAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Here, let me run over your kid when you have one and quote that infront of a judge.

l/l/rX
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
kids are fucking RETARDED. I was in Cochrane last wknd for a round of golf. This lady was cruising probably about 40km in a residential zone on the main blvd. There were no play ground zones or anything. All of a sudden a football bounced in front of her and the kid came n ran right in front of her.
The lady rolled down her window and flipped fucking balls on the kid, im glad she did to. As a kid I've never had any sort of close encounters with moving vehicles. I don't know how some kids could be so dumb.

nadroj23
09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
If somebody is riding my ass during the proper time for playground or school zones, i slow down to 20. Nothing pisses me off more then people that dont understand the times on the signs...Example in high school driving down a residential street i got yelled at by some lady that said i was goin to fast down her street, i said no the speed limit in residential areas is 50. She then decided to tell me it was a playground zone. Then i said you see that sign down the street thats where the playground zone starts not at your fuckin front door.

sr20s14zenki
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
kids are fucking RETARDED. I was in Cochrane last wknd for a round of golf. This lady was cruising probably about 40km in a residential zone on the main blvd. There were no play ground zones or anything. All of a sudden a football bounced in front of her and the kid came n ran right in front of her.
The lady rolled down her window and flipped fucking balls on the kid, im glad she did to. As a kid I've never had any sort of close encounters with moving vehicles. I don't know how some kids could be so dumb.

I'll tell you how kids can be so dumb, its simple. Stupid parents make stupid children. Simple as that.

Kennyredline
09-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9

Here, let me run over your kid when you have one and quote that infront of a judge.
Well, if you run over my kid, then the judge will probably be more interested in YOUR quote than mine.
"Yes your Honor, I ran over the child to prove a point."
GOOD JOB!!!

403Gemini
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I live right infront of a playground zone, trust me, i know you're pain. I slow down at ONE portion of the playground zone regardless of time (unless its like 6pm and later lol) , basically its a little daycare on the corner and i see parents always unloading their kids or picking them up. To me its safer to go 15-20km/h just past that one house than accidently hitting a kid who dodges out between the cars.

Also i believe its shawnessy blvd (I think thats what its called, been driving on that road for 14 years now you think i would know it!) there used to be a playground zone there, since there is construction they got rid of the signs and people STILL slow down , drives me nuts

JordanEG6
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM

It used to be like that in Calgary. It's not like that anymore...it's 8AM-5PM if I'm not mistaken.

They enforced that a couple years ago.

JordanEG6
09-19-2008, 01:17 PM

You should see Wentworth and Westside Recreation Center during the day...MILFs galore! They're everywhere! Especially on the treadmills and elipticals at the gym, it's insane.

BTW I caught a a good chunk of the Flames at Westside earlier this week, I guess that's where they work out from time to time?!
:goflames: