PDA

View Full Version : Best places to buy a guitar?

Hi-Psi
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I've decided after years of ignoring my desire to learn the guitar that it's time to bite the bullet and learn.

I've been doing a little bit of research online but I'm having a really tough time deciding what guitar I want to start with and where I should be purchasing it from.

I know a lot of people say to start with something basic but I'm thinking I'd like to start with something a little bit nicer.

I'm looking at accoustic guitars as electric just isn't really my thing and since a lot of the music I like is accoustic I figured it's the best thing for me to start with.

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy a guitar, either here in Calgary or online. I know there are a lot of shops but I have no idea if any of them are better than others and if some have better prices.

And if you guys could make some suggestions for a good accoustic guitar to start with or maybe some tips on buying one, that'd be great too!

Thanks

Jay

Mibz
09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Ranjiit at Long and McQuaid on 58th is a buddy of mine. He's kind of a dick but he'll help you out ;)

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Mothers Music

Inzane
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Mothers Music

I've never been to their Calgary store, but I definitely like the one up here in Edmonton. Nice staff and good selection. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

I've never been to their Calgary store, but I definitely like the one up here in Edmonton. Nice staff and good selection. :thumbsup:

Nice selection, good staff, AWSUM price matching and beating....I saved hundreds on my DJ equipment when I got it through them

aznboi22
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
go to guitarworks on 16th ave or Crowfoot

Micho
09-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I've been to a few in Calgary, and I'll say that Axe and Guitarworks both have good selection and staff help.

I would recommended Long and McQuaid but I personally don't like it, probably because I can't afford half the shit there haha.

ae92gts
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Long and McQuaid definatly a fav of mine. all of the staff there are good and the selection is great

finboy
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by aznboi22
go to guitarworks on 16th ave or Crowfoot

no

L&M, possibly axe, check out some pawn shops, kijiji, etc.

depends what you want to play, and what your price range is.

Lex350
09-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I don;t think there is really only one answer. Its just like asking what brand is the best. Find a friend that plays and knows a bit about guitars and go out to a bunch of shops and play as may different guitars as you kind. At that point you will know which guitar you want when its in your hands.

I don't think I've bought any of my guitars from the same place

Micho
09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Not to thread jack, but any opinions on Bugera?

I'm thinking about picking up a Bugera 333XL-212.

Dumbass17
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
i want an acoustic..under $100 to learn on
is this a dumb idea?

mazda_maniac
09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
i want an acoustic..under $100 to learn on
is this a dumb idea?

Electric is easier to learn on. Also a cheap acoustic will probably be very difficult to learn on. When it comes to acoustics you definately get what you pay for.

ae92gts
09-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac

Electric is easier to learn on. Also a cheap acoustic will probably be very difficult to learn on. When it comes to acoustics you definately get what you pay for.

I have a epiphone acoustic that i paid about $120 for and it plays and sounds amazing just as long as you get it setup right.

speaking of getting it setup L&M give a free setup with every guitar you purchase
:thumbsup:

spikerS
09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
definatly goto L&M, great prices and a decent selection.

If i may, i would recomend a Art & Luthier guitar. made by the same guys as Simon and Patrick, as well as Godin.

Great guitars, and run between $180 and $400, but to compare them to any other guitar you are going to be looking in the $350-800 price range. they are made in quebec, so they don't have tariffs and duties on them, and they sound amazing with pretty much any set of strings and L&M will set it up for you. As well, Art & Luthier guitars are a lot better than most entery level guitars, and definatly more bang for the buck for a beginner.

nonlinear
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I also highly recommend Art & Lutherie guitars. They are made by the same folks that make Seagull guitars - some of the finest acoustic guitars IMO.

I used to have an art & lutherie solid cedar top guitar. I paid like $350 for it in the states around 1999. It was an excellent guitar, but I sold it when I moved to calgary because the solid top began to crack due to the dry climate (you will have the same problem here with any solid top guitar). this wasn't a problem where I had lived previously (minnesota), because it's waaaaay humid there. so moral of the story is that if you're getting a solid top, you need to keep it in humified conditions.

what dealers in calgary carry art & lutherie guitars?

Ashkente
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Guitarworks sells A&L. I have a solid cedar top as well. Sounds great, feels great. Just gotta keep it well humidified. Personally, I keep it in a hardcase and water a Keyser humidifer weekly.

spikerS
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
i have not had any humidity problems with my A&L, and I have had it 6 or so years now. I have never had a humidifier for it, and no cracking. i just keep it in my hard case.

finboy
09-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Ashkente
Guitarworks sells A&L. I have a solid cedar top as well. Sounds great, feels great. Just gotta keep it well humidified. Personally, I keep it in a hardcase and water a Keyser humidifer weekly.

that's why you go carbon fiber :D

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/Golden_Axe/Guitar_Unlimited/rainsong2-large.jpg

rainsong FTW :clap:

Graham_A_M
09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Ranjiit at Long and McQuaid on 58th is a buddy of mine. He's kind of a dick but he'll help you out ;)

You think so? I just think hes amazingly negative. I've yet to hear a single positive thing come from his mouth.
At best its "okay" nothing is ever "good" to him. :dunno:
Un-fucking-believably good bassist though. I'd bet money he is the best in Alberta, or even western Canada... he makes me look like I just picked up a bass yesterday :nut:

But a huge HUGE +1 for L&M. I've been to Axe, Music Center Canada, Mothers Music, Guitarworks... and absolutely nobody can touch the prices or the service & selection of Long & McQuade.
Those guys are just awesome. A set of pick-ups for my bass were $220 at Mothers... and that was their absolute below-cost price... as in "They'd be losing money if they sold them for any cheaper"
those exact same pick-ups were regularily priced at $132 at L&M.
:rolleyes:

Mibz
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
You think so? I just think hes amazingly negative. I've yet to hear a single positive thing come from his mouth.
At best its "okay" nothing is ever "good" to him. :dunno:
Un-fucking-believably good bassist though. I'd bet money he is the best in Alberta, or even western Canada... he makes me look like I just picked up a bass yesterday :nut: I think you hit the nail on the head there. I lack the social experience to accurately describe someones personality, I just know that when somebody reams me out for buying Metallica tickets, I think they're a dick :P

Ashkente
09-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by finboy

that's why you go carbon fiber :D

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM00/Golden_Axe/Guitar_Unlimited/rainsong2-large.jpg

rainsong FTW :clap:

Yeah, those are sweet. But probably overkill for a beginner, hah. ;) Can get a real nice electric for the price of one of those too..heh

finboy
09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Yeah, those are sweet. But probably overkill for a beginner, hah. ;) Can get a real nice electric for the price of one of those too..heh

you can probaby get 3 to 4 good electrics for the price :(

msommers
09-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Long and Mc and Guitarsworks on 16th ave both have a really good selection and in all price ranges. When I bought my acoustic, it was from Long and Mc. Prices are not set in stone with guitars so you can work a little but don't push your luck :)

If I was going to learn guitar all over again, I'd probably get something used/new but quite cheap. That way, when you learn to play, string, tune etc and fuck something up (somehow lol) it's not the end of the world. Additionally, you have a better idea of your personal play feel and sound, and can drop a large sum on something later you're more certain you will like. I find acoustics really exacerbate those features, more so than electrics.

Although electric may be 'easier' to learn on, I definitely find my finger tips hurt sometimes from my acoustic strings :rofl:

Graham_A_M
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
^ I kind of have mixed feelings about that. To start off with some ubercheap guitar, it makes learning very very frusterating.

When I first started playing bass when I was 15, I had this $230 Yamaha bass. It was horrible to play, boring sound, hard to finger-pick.. and just so plain. :( It honestly sucked in every possible way. The knobs weren't even on straight. :nut:

If I would have spent another $100, I probably would ended up with a much nicer bass (all things considered) and I probably would have kept playing after a year. But it just wasn't worth it for me, with that POS. Learning was so incredibly hard on it. Little did I know it wasn't me, it was the guitar. I wish I would have known that sooner :banghead:
It wasn't until a couple years ago that I decided to buy a decent bass and back into it. What a world of diference even a few hundred makes.

The amp, not so much.. but at least a semi-decent guitar, and not something from Sears would be a good place to start.
You can still get a somewhat nice guitar for $4-500 or so, and you wont have to treat it like its Jimi- Hendrix's old strat. :dunno:

finboy
09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
you can get decent guitars for $100 used, it's all in the set up.

my $150 squire telecaster plays as nice as my gibson sg :dunno:

acoustics are different, but you can still make a plywood guitar sound and play nice.

Hi-Psi
09-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks a ton for all the info guys, I'm gonna take a look and see what I come out with. I'm brutal for overspending so I'll probably end up with something decent, I just really hope I get into it and stick to it. I love music and I love writing songs, I'm hoping this will just be the next step and make writing songs that much easier.

Thanks again guys and I'll let you know if I have any other questions!

Jay

Hi-Psi
10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Well guys, after spending a good month or so looking through the forums and online, I finally went and spent a few days looking at guitars in the various shops here in Calgary. A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of Takamine guitars and I have to admit, I didn't want anything else after trying a few out.

I ended up walking into Canada Music Centre's NE Calgary location and immediately fell in love with this beauty: (EG523SCB)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar2.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar1.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar5.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar3.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar6.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar8.jpg

Now to learn how to play lol

Jay

flipstah
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi

I ended up walking into Canada Music Centre's NE Calgary location and immediately fell in love with this beauty: (EG523SCB)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/CalgaryJay/Guitar2.jpg

That's a beauty! Did you get a good deal? I got a Oscar Schmidt Washburn acoustic at Mother's Music for ~$130 and it's a good deal.

I haven't time to learn so it's sitting inside its' case. :(

For me, I found it hard to learn it by myself. I have experience with reading notes and proper tuning (euphonium player since forever) but I just found it difficult unless someone told me where to place my fingers, how to strum properly...

So I will now search for a guitar class or something.

DRKM
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Don't get me wrong but I thought that you wanted a cheap guitar to learn on? That is not a cheap guitar...

Was it used?

Takimine makes the best acoustics in my opinoin...

cityhunter2501
10-25-2008, 04:45 AM
dont know anything about guitars but went to mothers music calgary earlier and wasnt impressed by the store, however their edmonton store looked way better.

however my cousin didnt like the selection of guitars in MM and rather go to Guitarworks by 16th ave

finboy
10-25-2008, 04:37 PM
nice fiddle

TKRIS
10-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Great looking guitar.
Glad you found something you liked.

kaput
10-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Hi-Psi
10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by DRKM
Don't get me wrong but I thought that you wanted a cheap guitar to learn on? That is not a cheap guitar...

Was it used?

Takimine makes the best acoustics in my opinoin...

Read my first post, I never said anywhere I wanted a cheap guitar, I said I wanted a nicer guitar to learn on rather than some cheap junk.

It's new.

Hi-Psi
10-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by kaput
How much did you end up paying for it? I'm shopping for one myself and I'm curious what price range that would fall into.

I paid $650 for it, a little more than most people would spend on their first guitar but I wanted something nice so I paid a bit more to get what I wanted.

flipstah
10-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi

Read my first post, I never said anywhere I wanted a cheap guitar, I said I wanted a nicer guitar to learn on rather than some cheap junk.

It's new.

For sure you don't want to learn on a cheap-quality guitar but I think what Hi-Psi meant to say was that there are cheaper alternatives than buying new.

Pretty sure you can get a Takamine used, still the same quality, for <$650. Or even another brand, brand new, for less. If you're a beginner, you don't really need to spend a wad of cash. Just a good starter just in case you don't stick through it.

But to one's discretion I guess. Have fun learning! :D

Nitzer5
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I spent about $1400 on my takamine acoustic-electric and it's been nothing but a pleasure to play. They are amazing guitars and are especially good for songs with lots of open-string actions (fans by kings of leon, sail to the moon by radiohead, etc) beacuse they sound so bright