PDA

View Full Version : Welder Apprenticeship

KeepItGully
09-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Looking for advice from somebody on getting into welding? Is there any work localy around calgary? Where do I start?

SkittleFreak
09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Industrial area of calgary, you start off usually in manual labour work and move into welding. Talk to Jlude (If he's still at RIMK)

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Yep, exactly what he said. I was fortunate enough to know the owners of my old shop before i got in, so i only did labor for 3 months before i was indentured. Unfortunately that shop went downhill in a hurry, so here i am, a third year in a new shop (=

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
My old work is always hiring welders but the thing is, its production welding and is nothing like actual real welding so I dunno if thats the place you wanna try it out at....if you do I'll give u the addy and they will train you intially how to weld if your a beginner

KeepItGully
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
My old work is always hiring welders but the thing is, its production welding and is nothing like actual real welding so I dunno if thats the place you wanna try it out at....if you do I'll give u the addy and they will train you intially how to weld if your a beginner

Real welding? Please explain!

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Yah, its good to learn how to weld with production, because you learn how to do good beads really fast. The thing im learning right now that was bad, is that i mostly did production welding and i never had to use my brain, now im in an atmosphere where i have to think, and im learning to fabricate..which is great, even tho its a bit late. I actually have to remove spatter....go figure :dunno:

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Yah, its good to learn how to weld with production, because you learn how to do good beads really fast. The thing im learning right now that was bad, is that i mostly did production welding and i never had to use my brain, now im in an atmosphere where i have to think, and im learning to fabricate..which is great, even tho its a bit late. I actually have to remove spatter....go figure :dunno:

EXACTLY, production welding is tedious and repetitive welds over and over and over again, you might get something different to weld depending on which bay your in, but the whole day its the same deal, all about the #'s and fast welds and you learn bad habits on production welding and also, everything you learned about welding in school does not apply in production welding....when your told weld up, at my old work, your supposed to go down or being told to pull your weld, its push it here....and yes I never welded in my life til I started here, then I could do good beads really fast also

But yeah you dont really use your brain much in production, its all how fast your hands are and how steady you can move ur lead so its fast and even enough to lay the cold weld down WITHOUT melting the steel ur welding

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Real welding? Please explain!

Real welding is actually fusing two pieces of metal together or etc. At my old place, production welding is, however many pieces of pipe are put into a jig, the space between those pipes, you fill up with weld, your basically laying cold weld over the gap inbetween the pipes which is a big no-no in real welding cause I know if I took a hammer to that joint, its broken easily

sr20s14zenki
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

EXACTLY, production welding is tedious and repetitive welds over and over and over again, you might get something different to weld depending on which bay your in, but the whole day its the same deal, all about the #'s and fast welds and you learn bad habits on production welding and also, everything you learned about welding in school does not apply in production welding....when your told weld up, at my old work, your supposed to go down or being told to pull your weld, its push it here....and yes I never welded in my life til I started here, then I could do good beads really fast also

I still did "real" welding, i built garbage bins unfortunately, but i built them from the ground up, big 20 yarders, and 12 yarders that you see at construction zones. Triple J, Garbage Good Guys, Big Blue, CWC, ABC, built them all. Atleast i could say i built the nicest and most square ones (=

anyways, its challenging learning to read drawings and fabricate, but ill get it no problem =p

dj_rice
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
To the OP, do you have any welding experience/training?And do u want the address to my old work

KeepItGully
09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
No welding experience. Its just always been an interest of mine.

Sure. Tell me more about your previous job.

Graham_A_M
09-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Try this rock crushing machine fabrication shop, called "Elrus"
They are RIGHT off of Glenmore and Barlow. If you take Glenmore east, stay in your right lane past Barlow, and turn off at the first or second exit (I forget which one) and it'll be right there.

They do apprentice welders (I know that for a fact), but I'm not entirely certain of the waiting list, or what else. :dunno:

They make HUGE stuff, basically whats used in the oil sands and so forth. Its not bad work, and a good company to work for, Just avoid the nightshift like the plague. :nut:

Destinova403
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I used to work at Jacobs, and the JIS division hired TONS of craft labour. It would probably mostly be site work, but if you are interested in making some serious money you could send them your resume.

Jacobs Industrial Services

if you P'M me i can get you a contact there.