PDA

View Full Version : WTB: canon EOS mount film camera.

Bukka
09-18-2008, 07:25 PM
My laptop recently broke, so I'm not able to transfer any images from my DSLR for a while. So, in the meantime I'm looking to buy a Canon SLR with the EOS mount so I can use my current lenses. I'm in not any rush to buy as I don't get paid till next week.

So, for now I'm just seeing what's out there.

KKY
09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
How much are you looking to spend?

Bukka
09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Not really sure, just seeing what pops up and I'll go from there.

jfulton
09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I have a basically brand new canan rebel 2000

let me know

Bukka
09-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Price?

jfulton
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
$200 obo sound fair ?

DJ Lazy
09-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I have a Canon Elan7 in mint condition. $100

Bukka
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
There was someone who pm'd me with an EOS 5.... Beyond doesn't let you check PM's when you're browsing the site from a berry... So can you please give me a call @

Josh.

freakin
09-27-2008, 04:46 PM
If you're looking for an EOS 35mm camera, then you should be able to find a nice one in the $100 range. I've had a few over the past couple of years, but wasn't really happy until I got my hands on a 1N. I paid $200 for mine with the power booster on it, which is reasonable for a pro body. If you don't need/want a pro body then $100 should be sufficient. Here are some examples of what I purchased in the last little while:

-A2E w/grip, $80
-5 w/grip, 2 focusing screens, manuals, QD back, $100
-Elan 7 w/grip, $85
-1, pretty much new, $90
-1N w/PB-E2, $200

I'd watch out with the old Rebels. There's nothing wrong with them, but they're really lacking in the feature department, and you can get much more camera for around the same price. Just keep your eyes open on eBay and Craigslist for local/domestic stuff.

Perhaps a rebel is what you want. If you're getting one for $50, then why not? Everyone shoots differently so these may not be an issue to you. But here are some common things to look for/look out for on the old Canons:
-I'm sure you know this, but EF-S glass wont work on them.
-Most of the cheaper ones won't have a DOF preview button. Most Rebels as well as the A2/A2E/5, are in this catagory as well. This one is a huge deal to me.
-Light meter in 1/2 or 1/3 stops. The A2 and A2E have a zero in the middle and arrows show if you're under or overexposing. No quantifying it, just an arrow. It makes bracketing a pain, but it can be done by counting the clicks on the iris or shutter wheel, or doing some math in your head. But more difficult than it needs to be.
-Spot metering, some have it, some don't and some aren't terribly narrow. I like to focus on the highlights, then look at the ratios before I decide where to land my exposure. If you're spot meter isn't terribly tight, or nonexistent, then this becomes more difficult.
-Shutter wheel on the vertical grip, the whole reason to having a vertical grip (unless it's a power booster), is to be able to take vertical shots with all of the controls in the same spot. For some reason, Canon decided not to put one on the Elan 7's grip. Making it pretty much useless.

I've been really happy with my 5, with the exception of the DOF preview issue, and my 1's (the 1N in particular). I know that I'll never shoot 10fps on film, but damn, it sounds amazing to hear it run that fast.

This came out as a bit of a rant, but hopefully it helps you find the camera that you want. Ton's of pros are dumping their film gear, so you can get some nice gear for cheap. You just need to keep looking.