PDA

View Full Version : RANT: U of C Subway

Pages : [1] 2

nonlinear
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
i've been working at the U of C since 2001, and have been going to the Subway there since it opened (2004-ish?).

I absolutely hate this franchise, though, and only go because the on-campus options are so limited and overpriced.

I really hate the asshole owner guy (brian, or something). He's a jerk to everyone, and i've seen him literally get into fights and yell/scream at customers. not a good way to run a business. one time, this lady wanted bacon on her salad, and the idiots working were totally fucking up the salad, and Brian yelled at the lady that her attitude wasn't helping. she walked away and he THREW the salad across the room. Thankfully, he hasn't been working in the last year or so.

However, he has caught the 'one napkin policy' that seems to be contagious on campus (starting with the chinese food places first, of course). I always order 12-inch subs, and I can tell you from major expereince that one chinsy napkin IS NOT ENOUGH for a huge, messy, oil-dripping foot long sub. what the fuck does a napkin cost? $0.01???? and then today I asked the dumb girl working there for a couple of extra napkins, and she gave me 1!!!!

Also, they don't give out plastic bags by default, and instead have a sign up saying "help us conserve" or some bullshit like that. i'm sure their prikorities are saving the $0.01 for the bag, and not the environment. so you're forced to bag it yourself if you want a bag. Also, they hardly wrap up the subs, so half the time everything spills out of the wrapper and into the bag.

and don't even get me going about the lack of ingredients. today, I wanted green peppers (extra). the container was empty except for a few shreds stuck to the sides and bottom. instead of going to grab a new container, which would have to be done in a second anyhow, the bitch starts scraping the tiny chunks off the sides and bottom. fucking disgusting :barf: I almost walked away at that point.

anyonw else wanna comment on how shitty this place is? i'm writing a letter to coporate headquarters now.

EDIT: Oh, and their subs always make me INCREDIBLY thirsty. anyonw know if they put MSG in them somehow?

and what's up with the $30 lobster sub??? are they fucking serious???!??!?!?!!

5hift
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah this Subway does suck. Its obvious that owner Brian is cutting corners everywhere. I remember a thread about this before, and I know a lot of people have already complained to corperate so I doubt anything will change.

RedStealth
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
That's the worst subway I've ever been to. The bread is almost always stale and it stinks up the entire lower floor of mac hall

nonlinear
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by RedStealth
That's the worst subway I've ever been to. The bread is almost always stale and it stinks up the entire lower floor of mac hall

yea, they should fine that dude for air pollution LOL

Toms-SC
09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
People still eat at Subway?

viff3r
09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Quizno's FTW

rc2002
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I have it at least a few times a week.

I find that service is that much worse when you go when it's busy which at the University is all the time (or used to be anyway).

Problem is there is only one subway and way too many students so they could care less if you stop going. There's no incentive to provide good service.

nonlinear
09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

i try not to, but like I said, the U of C has a very limited, overpriced, uncompetitive (and probablly price-fixed) market. so yea, at the U of C, people still eat there.

I avoid it like the plague if I have options, though.

Originally posted by viff3r
Quizno's FTW

Quizno's is OK (I find it better in the states), but the best sandwiches are at Jimmy john's in the Midwestern USA. they are seriously 32948723984798457498375 times better than subway or quiznos. Erbert's and Gerberts is good as well.

a social dsease
09-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I never ever eat at the UofC subway. Ate there once in first yr, it was crap, never again.
Why would you even bother, Bake-Chef has much tastier subs, also The Upper Crust in ST has some good ones too.

89s1
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
How hard is it to ask:

"would it be alright if i got some green peppers from a new container? One of the reasons i come here is the fresh ingredients" Bam, fresh stuff.

On more than one occasion I've literally just asked for "more care" or something in making my sandwich and they are always good. :angel:

Don't be so spineless, make it right then and there. That way I dont need to read your sissy rant next time.

three.eighteen.
09-19-2008, 01:45 PM
subway in general sucks pretty bad now...

403Gemini
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I miss the way they used to cut them, where they would cut out the top/middle of the sub and load your toppins in then put the bread back so stuff NEVER fell out. I also miss the old sub sauce

/sigh

hrdkore
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
actually i dont think brian owns that place anymore.

Baron O' Funk
09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
Quizno's FTW

Word, best. :thumbsup:

DJ_NAV
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
quizno's was good until they made limited toppings...
subways is still a good exprience once a month for me...
subways in downtown i go to is awesome.. quick service and and they usually put everything the amount i want ... the only shitty part is that after the lunch rush they stop making breads so i only get limited choice if i go after 2pm.

sabad66
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? You have to think that there is only one Subway on a campus of over 20,000. Combine that with the fact that it is hard to find good fast food workers and that is why the service sucks. I go there about once a week and it's really not as bad as you make it out to be..

nonlinear
09-19-2008, 05:44 PM
so having only one subway on a campus of 20,000 is ann excuse to have the worst service of any subbway i've EVER been too? what is the logic in that?

also, having a labor shortage and crappy workers is NOT an excuse for only giving out 1 napkin per 12-inch sub and not offering plastic bags to the customers. that is a policy put in place by the owner.

this particular franchise is "not a participating location." the only other time i've seen that was in the Beavis and Butthead movie. c'mon now, give me a fucking break.

actually, the above poster said the franchise was sold by brian, which would make sense because there is now an older chinese gentleman around there who seems to be the manager. and, as we all know, chinese restrauntuers seem to think they're gonna get rich by giving out single napkins to customers.

and when I ask for a 'couple more' napkins, the bitch should give me 2 more, not 1 like she did.

:guns: :guns: :guns:

cherpintow
09-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I miss the way they used to cut them, where they would cut out the top/middle of the sub and load your toppins in then put the bread back so stuff NEVER fell out. I also miss the old sub sauce

/sigh

ahhh, the good old 'u-gouge' cut. Just isn't the same without it.

badatusrnames
09-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm guessing Brian was the Jewish guy with the milfish wife?? I thought he was fairly nice, I had no qualms about the quality when he was running it - the staff always was good.

I believe he sold the franchise to some Asian owners last year.

I saw the staff in the back one day cutting footlong bread into thirds and selling it as six inches. The new staff now also mostly sucks - they don't have much sandwich artistry. I vowed to never return - but even a bad cold cut with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sub sauce, mayonnaise, salt & pepper and toasted please it better than no cold cut.

I got into a huge argument with the cashier because I wanted a drink with my sub but no combo - she told me it wasn't allowed: "must have cookie or chip!!"

But like the OP said, most of the food options on campus are ridiculously overpriced. I can get a six inch cold cut for four dollars and change from Subway or get a sandwich half as filling from First Cup for in the region of $6.50.

The Pizza 73 isn't too bad - $3.50 for a big slice. But the downside is that it's ridiculously greasy and I really don't want to eat that crap every day.

msommers
09-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I agree dude! That place is not only sketchy, dirty and dishonest but overall just disgusting. I really don't care if it saves me 1.50. The fact the other places can actually speak English and have a clean counter is enough for me to say a big fuck you to that Subway. Although, spending 5.50 on a 2 second made sandwich at Pastel's is stupid, it's at least fresh (or so it appears!).

In the end, it is still better to bring your own lunch, so we can't really complain all THAT much;)

pinoyhero
09-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Comment with your dollars guys, just don't go there. If you keep going you as the market signal that their practices are just fine.

7thgenvic
09-20-2008, 07:55 AM
the only thing good about that subway is his milf wife....

nonlinear
09-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Comment with your dollars guys, just don't go there. If you keep going you as the market signal that their practices are just fine.

this only works in a competitive market though

eb0i
09-20-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure I posted this story awhile back. But i'll post it again. A few years ago I was in there during the rush hour. The owner was working the till. There was a blind man in front of me and he was trying to use the interac. However he wasn't familiar with the pad and the lay out of the checking/savings buttons. So the transaction would fail. It failed twice before I realized he was blind and helped him out. Meanwhile the owner (at the till) was getting all pissy because the line was backing up. He was actually saying "hurry up" and then when the transaction failed (before I helped) would fling his arms up in the air in disgust. What a douche. That was the last day I ate there.

I know what you mean though nonlinear. They barely put toppings on your sub, and they have the worse customer service there. The only places I eat at the U nowadays is Opa (great service), pita on the run, bake chef and oriental wok.

nonlinear
09-20-2008, 09:57 AM
yea, i agree that opa has great service. those dudes know what they're doing

pita on the run is OK, but I think those $6 donairs they sell should be about twice the size, and the meat should be freshly sliced off the spit, not heated in a goddam microwave!!!! but those flatbread things they have are great

bake chef is good, but not when that jamaican lady makes the subs LOL. she's fucked mine up at least a couple of times

yesterday i went by that food court in engineering, and noticed that they had a daily lunch special. it was all sold out. i asked her what it was and what time they usually sold out, and she said it was burritos and that they never sold out before and she didn't know what was going on LOL :nut: they also had a daily breakfast special that included eggs, meat, and toast for like $3.95. i've always been a fan of school hot lunches (for real LOL) so i'm gonna give this place a try on monday

flipstah
09-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I usually go there when it's 'dead' so not during that lunch-hour rush or... just now. :)

Anyways, I've always gotten good service and the owners are nice, sometimes even working the front lines. This one manager (some big bronwn guy)... not so much.

I asked for tomato, lettuce and extra cucumbers. The artist obliged and when the manager saw the finished product, he complained how there's too many veggies, even though I asked. It's kinda odd to have a policy on that when it's suppose to be customized. Otherwise, why have it in the first place?

I defended her but he still got ticked.

pinoyhero
09-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

this only works in a competitive market though \

As in other food to buy there as well as the fact that you can bring your lunch? Seems like enough comp, its not like you have to eat there.

nonlinear
09-21-2008, 11:25 AM
^^that's like saying the Canadian telecom market is competitive because people don't have to buy cell phones and internet service....

have you ever been to mac hall and looked at the quality, prices, and variety of food options, and then compared this to any other food court in the city of calgary? there is a serious lack of competition. actually, i wouldn't be surprised if there is concerted price fixing going on in that place.

i''m really surprised that the SU seems satisfied as long as the rent is being paid, but has no concern for the priced gouging and lack of quality and variety in that place.

pinoyhero
09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
^ I hear ya, I know its not that great, but really, just bring your lunch then ... if shops in there can't sell / survive they will be weeded out

nonlinear
09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
yea, i know i can bring my lunch, i mean i even have a lab with a fridge and microwave and toaster over and boiling water, etc. so it's even easier for me than the average person

the thing is, the shops there can sell and survive, despite having inflated prices and poor quality -- the subway mentioned above is a prime example.

like i said earlier, that store is 'not a participating location' and doesn't carry the same promos as the other subway stores, etc. the shop can get away with it because the campus is HUGE (23000 undergrads + grads + staff + faculty + construction workers + visitors)... with that many people, you only need a small fraction of a percent of the population to come each day and you are still going to have never ending lines at your shop.

these shops have a captive market, and they know it, and are taking advantage of the situation. "free market capitalism will work this out" is what many people say, but this isn't a competetive free market.

and we all know how well capitalism works... just look at what is happening now in the US with the gov't bailout that amounts to socialized risk for privatized gains!!!!!!!! :guns: :guns: those crooks!!!! LOL

Vagabond142
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I actually used to work at that subway, under Brian and one of his dickwad supervisors...

I ended up suing him and winning for unpaid wages and misrepresentation of wages (he paid me less than what he told me, and then some times he would say "oh, you're not working today" when I was on the schedule). I came out of the deal only a few hundred dollars richer (because I agreed on some points that I didn't really have a case, but he was desperate to settle out of court, and we got as far as a sitdown with a judge who ruled in my favor).

I don't know if that franchise is still his, but when I worked there (late 2005), I was out back cutting tomatoes for the front, and at the bottom of the box were about 5-6 crushed, rotten tomatoes that I just found when I got to the bottom. So what did I do? I took all the tomatoes I had cut and immediately dumped them in the garbage. He FLEW back from the front screaming "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!?!?" and I explained that the tomatoes I had cut had possible been contaminated by the moldy, rotten ones. He cut my shift short and sent me home for practicing food safety -_-

I won't say the other food safety atrocities that happened out back, but I do know that in 2006 he was nearly shut down by the Food and Health Safety Board after like 20 people got sick in one day after eating there and reported it.

badatusrnames
09-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I won't say the other food safety atrocities that happened out back, but I do know that in 2006 he was nearly shut down by the Food and Health Safety Board after like 20 people got sick in one day after eating there and reported it.

Please tell.

nonlinear
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
yea, he either sold it or it's now being managed by some chinese folks. I haven't seen him there in like a year.

at least that jerk isn't out front yelling at customers anymore, but things have gone even further down hill with the 'one napkin and no bag policy." It's funny how they give you one napkin even with a 12 inch sub. i'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it when i have sub sauce and mayo and shit dripping all over my face and hands. i'm pretty sure that the the subway corporation would not be cool with that policy.

i remember when Brian owned it, and he hung up a sign saying that you could only redeem one stamp card at a time (i.e. buy a drink and get a free 6 inch but not a 12 inch). a bunch of people wrote to subway headquarters and he was forced to take down his sign LOLOL

smurfette
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
:eek:

badatusrnames
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by smurfette
It's very interesting to hear these comments cuz my parents' own this Subway (Brian does not own it).

Then learn from these comments and tell your parents to take note.

I definitely patronize Subway less often due to the decline in service and quality. I can't even get my sub put in a bag anymore??

Afrodeziak
09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I work at MRC and can say the Subway here blows as well. I'll go to Mr. Sub 11 times out of 10 than Subway on the campus.

Subway = shitty customer service, chincey on toppings. Prices aren't all that great. I pretty much have to always ask for more of this and that.. maybe I'm a fat ass ? haha

Mr. Sub = rad service, the peeps that have worked there will load up your sub, taking great care and if you ask for more of something they aren't shocked. They have pineapple.

anyways yea subway blows.. lol

if anyone has some good idea's I wouldn't mind making some decals on my cutter to mess with the logo.. ie. starf*cks coffee.

beecue
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
How little toppings are you guys talking about? I used to work at Subway and we were supposed to put 6 on a 12" and 3 on 6" for every topping. This was supposed to be the same at all Subways so everyone had the same experience.

:rofl: 3 Olives is not that much .. I would pretty much load every sub but be able to close it .. most of the time that was hard hard .. I only tried to do less if the boss was around

Weapon_R
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
a bunch of people wrote to subway headquarters and he was forced to take down his sign LOLOL

Try writing them again and complain about the cheap tightwads that own it now. I don't understand why people think they'll get rich being so goddamn cheap. A couple lost sales a month will buy you enough napkins and bags to keep your customers happy all month.

nonlinear
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
It's very interesting to hear these comments cuz my parents' own this Subway (Brian does not own it).

You should tell your parents that they are losing customers by trying to save a few cents here and there. you should tell them to 1) start bagging the subs by default again, like every other subway I've ever been to, 2) start giving out more than 1 napkin per 12-inch sub, and 3) start running the promotions that other subways have.

I buy lunch on-campus about 6 or 7 days per week, year round, and have only been to subway about 2 or 3 times since your parents took over. Granted, I had stopped going so frequently back when Brian owned it (because I didn't like how he treated staff or customers), but was even more turned off by the napkin and bag policies that your parents implemented.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

I don't understand why people think they'll get rich being so goddamn cheap. A couple lost sales a month will buy you enough napkins and bags to keep your customers happy all month.

absolutely man! I am a case in point, and in a university of 23000+ undergrads, i'm sure there are hundreds or even thousands like me

toyboy88
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Just had a BLT bagel from the little place by the red/gold gyms...totally worth it, my new favorite place to go! :drool:

mazdavirgin
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Reminds me of the Arby's at Northland mall where they will not give you more than 2 packets of ketchup. If you want more they ask you to pay extra for more ketchup... :rofl:

smurfette
09-24-2008, 01:44 PM
:drool:

TYMSMNY
09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
LOL. What a poser. :rolleyes:

so why would you even be remotely interested in these comments? (according to your initial post)

dannie
09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
What an idiot.

Skyline_Addict
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh shiet, I meant my parents' FRIEND :zzz:

good job! now go home.

dannie
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh, look at that, she changed her dumbass remark....

89s1
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
:drool:

Have you shown your parents this thread yet?

Is shit going to start getting better there or is an attempt to save 18 cents a week going to cost them their business?

TYMSMNY
09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Have you shown your parents this thread yet?

Is shit going to start getting better there or is an attempt to save 18 cents a week going to cost them their business?

... it's smurf's friends' uncles' nephews' brother in laws' niece that owns it. :rolleyes:

Anyone prefer Quizno's here? I know I sure do. Now that's a :drool: place.

09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think the self-bagging thing is a big deal since it's up to the customer but they are pretty cheap, 1 napkin wtf. If the customer had access to napkins without asking the workers there it wouldn't be a big deal either but they don't.:thumbsdow

tomt64
09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
The Subway across from Sait is awful, I went there twice and couldnt take it anymore. Food tastes like crap, nothing is fresh in there. :barf:

Best subway that I pretty much go to most of the week when Im working is the one in Heritage Meadows across from Best Buy near Pho. They always give me an extra cookie or a bag of chips w/ the cookies and everything in there is fresh and clean. :thumbsup: for them.

r0g3r
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
I only ate at there during my first year, after experiencing the horrible service of those asian international students, I got fed up and vowed not to go back there again.

They always missed something that I asked for, and when I mention it they get all pissy and roll there fucking eyes, that pissed me off so much. The last time I went there I just walked out on them while she was making the sandwhich.

max_boost
09-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by tomt64
The Subway across from Sait is awful, I went there twice and couldnt take it anymore. Food tastes like crap, nothing is fresh in there. :barf:

haha oh man, that one asian guy that works there late is such a douche.

I finish my workouts around 11pm and this location is open till midnight and close to home so I go there by default. Cheap on the toppings, and yeah, things aren't fresh.

Last time I went, he had a sign up, "come back in 15mins" and dude sees me at the door and still walks away. WTF?!

He's so sketchy. Don't know if he's an owner or worker but when you pay by cash, he doesn't ring it in, keeps it for himself. lol :rofl:

Anyway, any other Subways open till midnight?

Altezza
09-25-2008, 01:33 AM
C'mon guys, lighten up. I've met the owners of Subway at the U and they are great people. Just your typical family running a business. I also know the owners of the Arby's at Northland personally and heck, I don't even get more than two ketchup packets, lol. Not like they are all gazillionaires laughing at you cuz they save two napkins a day. Trust me, if you were in their position running a family business, you'd do the same thing. If you want an extra napkin or bag, ask for it. Is it really that hard? I've even been to a Subway where they give you NO napkins, NO bags, and NO lids for the drink cups. When I've asked for it, they claim they're all out ....so you Uni guys are getting it good!

Krayzie
09-25-2008, 01:41 AM
all the things listed above are pretty bad but i stopped going to subway because they don't change their gloves. At times the gloves are so disgusting it looks like they have been wearing them all day. If you ask the person to change their glvoes they give you the dirtiest looks. :whipped:

sea of ash
09-25-2008, 02:22 AM
i just like going there to hear people in line freak out when the dumbasses working there fuck up their sandwiches

"I SAID OLIVES NOT OLIVE YOU FUCKING RETARD"

badatusrnames
09-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Altezza
C'mon guys, lighten up. I've met the owners of Subway at the U and they are great people. Just your typical family running a business. I also know the owners of the Arby's at Northland personally and heck, I don't even get more than two ketchup packets, lol. Not like they are all gazillionaires laughing at you cuz they save two napkins a day. Trust me, if you were in their position running a family business, you'd do the same thing. If you want an extra napkin or bag, ask for it. Is it really that hard? I've even been to a Subway where they give you NO napkins, NO bags, and NO lids for the drink cups. When I've asked for it, they claim they're all out ....so you Uni guys are getting it good!

:rofl: Good people or not - they aren't running their business properly. And like people have been saying, the napkin this is just one of many...

nonlinear
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM

dude, if i owned a business i would definately not do the same thing. actually, my father is a mechanic and owns a few auto repair shops in minneapolis/saint paul, and he was the one who taught me that customer service andass kissing is the way to do business. when someone comes in to my dads shop with a minor problem like a dead signal light or a squeaky door or things like that, he fixes them on the spot for free. yea, he might be losing a couple of bucks there, but he knows that investing in service like that will result in a return customer as well as word of mouth advertising, which can't be beat.

Hell, his shop still offers grease, oil and filter for $30 USD. he loses money on oil changes, but does it to keep his customers coming back

so whatever, i guess this is a total different business philosophy than those people runing subway have.

but like Weapon_R said, if they stopped worrying about the napkins and bags, and ran the business like a normal subway, it would only take like 1 or 2 sandwich sales per month to cover those costs, and you would be keeping the customer happy with the service they expect, and you wouldn't have threads on the internet like this one!

Fiasco
09-25-2008, 05:49 PM

Lol GFY cock sucker GFY clearly you have never eaten at this subway garbage dump

RANT TIME:

yes i did eat there 1/2 year and let me tell you its a piss hole. That brian guy actually made fun of me for ordering Tuna everytime i was there cuz im a muslim and its either tuna or veggie...anyways i remember that the international asian people would get mad if you told them to toast the sub after they started making it and not before, at times i TOLD THEM to toast and they never heard or smth..

so anyways this one day i ordered a 6 inch tuna and the guy (brain) puts one scoop of tuna on LMFAO i told him isen't there anymore and he said thats what we put on, so next day i complained to the subway feedback thingy, got free sub coups in the mail next week...being an idiot i used them at the UC..haha guess who's working there BRIAN lol so he says were i got these..and obviously he got heat from whoever talked to him and sent me the coupons, i lied and said my bro got them from the MRC subway lol, never eat at that shit whole again...

the 5 dollar signs are down so this lets me believe that maybe its sold

imma say something i said in the original thread a few years back::

This brian guy really perpetuated the stereotypes about this race

msommers
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Sorry to break this to you, but the fact that they are nice people doesn't increase business or justify running a shitty one. Imagine going to Toronto trying to expand your oil company, and your catch line in "hey, I'm a nice guy! EHHHHHHHHHHHH." Feelings don't belong in business, that's all there is to it.

max_boost
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM

lol dude, you better tell them to smarten up and do a better job. They are representing the franchise and they are giving it a bad rep.

Subway at the U of C should be a cash cow, yeah??? Should be laughing all the way to the bank!!!

schocker
09-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by tomt64

Best subway that I pretty much go to most of the week when Im working is the one in Heritage Meadows across from Best Buy near Pho. They always give me an extra cookie or a bag of chips w/ the cookies and everything in there is fresh and clean. :thumbsup: for them.
haha, i went there the other day, and paid for my sub while it was toasting then got the toppings and such on, seemed like meager amounts, then the guy is like what kind of sub is that, and i was like what, i just payed you :dunno:

mazdavirgin
09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Just your typical family running a business. I also know the owners of the Arby's at Northland personally and heck, I don't even get more than two ketchup packets, lol. Not like they are all gazillionaires laughing at you cuz they save two napkins a day.

You don't think it is wrong to charge people for more than two packets of ketchup? What kind of shaddy people are running these places now anyways? You never have problems getting ketchup from any of the other fast food joints just these people who somehow seem to think they are entitled to be pricks to the customers. How the hell can you justify charging me additional money for more ketchup? That's just stupid and I am sure against franchise policy...

aklalani
09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

You don't think it is wrong to charge people for more than two packets of ketchup? What kind of shaddy people are running these places now anyways? You never have problems getting ketchup from any of the other fast food joints just these people who somehow seem to think they are entitled to be pricks to the customers. How the hell can you justify charging me additional money for more ketchup? That's just stupid and I am sure against franchise policy...

im against it as well but i can see why they do it. I know so many people that ask for ketchup and use maybe one pack. It to avoid wastage, although most owners are cheap fucks as well!

eb0i
09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak

Mr. Sub = rad service, the peeps that have worked there will load up your sub, taking great care and if you ask for more of something they aren't shocked. They have pineapple.

I just went to Mr. Sub today on 16th. It was FANTASTIC. Screw Subway. It's all about Mr. Sub. Too bad there aren't many locations in the city.

nonlinear
09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
yea mr. sub rules!!!!

can you still get canned mushrooms on your sub LOL

Vagabond142
09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I love Mr Sub. Why? Mostly because it's entirely Canadian.

Anyways, I've received lots of requests about what I experienced at the Campus Subway, so I will post!

-The bad tomatoes story as posted earlier

-Reusing food bins (what they grab your veggies/cheese/meats out of) without running them through the wash/antiseptic/rinse stations at the wash station (like, dump out old cucumbers that look about as good as a mummified testicle, then immediately, without even a wipedown, putting in new cucumbers)

-Fridge temperature not at safe levels (warmer than 6C a few days at a time, as displayed by the fridge thermometers both inside and out). Didn't know this regulation at the time, but food storage fridges containing meat products must be kept at 5C to 1C to ensure bacteria do not have time to form, nor the environment to form

-Scarily, some people would drop knives/ladles/spoons out back, and would pick them up off the floor and keep using them. When I dropped a knife, it was instantly pick it up, into the wash station, get a new, clean knife. Then I would wash my hands thoroughly because my hand had been in contact with the floor. This got most of the supervisors and the manager rippingly mad because I spent the 90 seconds to make sure I was following proper food handling sanitation.

-Cutting countertops not wiped down. The cutting boards were on a rotation in/out of the wash station, but the metal cutting counter itself would only get a wipedown maybe every other day. I always wiped it down between each different ingredient, as well as changed cutting boards between each different ingredient. This, again, got the management steaming at me because I was taking the 30 seconds to follow sanitation rules.

As a result of all these "infractions" and the fact that I butted heads with management and supervisors over sanitation and customer service (I'll let everyone elses post about Brian and the supervisors speak for themselves), my hours were reduced to zero but I was not terminated, nor was I informed that I had made any infraction, and was not granted hours on request. Long story short, I sued, I won, he lost lots of money in legal fees, and I'm happy :)

sneek
10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I used to know a guy that worked there, I think he got fired for being hung over at work. I have been pretty loyal to subway since I was in grade 7...At least a 2 subs a week. I ate at the subway several times in first year, but after feeling that the subs sucked...I have since gone else where. UpperCrust isnt bad, but sometimes their bread is really chewy. I have started packing lunches too because of this shitty subway!

PS: I am ultra choked that Coyote Jacks is a Pizza73. I thought the Pizza73 in Mac hall was already shitty enough...did we really need another one? I really will miss those fries!!!

Fiasco
10-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by sneek
I used to know a guy that worked there, I think he got fired for being hung over at work. I have been pretty loyal to subway since I was in grade 7...At least a 2 subs a week. I ate at the subway several times in first year, but after feeling that the subs sucked...I have since gone else where. UpperCrust isnt bad, but sometimes their bread is really chewy. I have started packing lunches too because of this shitty subway!

PS: I am ultra choked that Coyote Jacks is a Pizza73. I thought the Pizza73 in Mac hall was already shitty enough...did we really need another one? I really will miss those fries!!!

it was pizza pizza before pizza 73, if you're looking for more homestyle food try the food court in education decent pizza's and food.

sneek
10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
in SB? ..when was it a pizza pizza?

tabouli
10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Retard of the year. A prominent display of North American ignorance.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
How the hell can you justify charging me additional money for more ketchup?

It's a product. A physical, consumption based, sales product. Any idea how much waste is created in our society by allowing idiotic consumers to moderate themselves? Some of the fat fuckers that go into these places take so many extras you wouldn't imagine cutting a profit. I heard this over-weight asshole bitching at the counter on Monday about how they charge for refills at the drink dispenser. :rolleyes: Of course they do fatty, you'd drink away their monthly take if they didn't. Can't afford the 50 cents? Probably.

We've had a free ride for way too long in North America. We're so used to promotions and freebies that the slacking poor people in our society are trying to take a stand against paying for what they want.

Get a job, you losers. Then maybe you can afford ketchup & refills.

[/asshole]

89s1
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

lol dude, you better tell them to smarten up and do a better job. They are representing the franchise and they are giving it a bad rep.

Subway at the U of C should be a cash cow, yeah??? Should be laughing all the way to the bank!!!

They have truely ruined a chance at something fantastic.

Fatass Jared did all their advertising, they just needed to make a decent sandwich and take out the fucking garbage every once in a while.

I guess they thought the idea was "make a garbage take-out sandwich." Pitty how such a minor error in symantics can make such a difference.

schocker
10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by sneek
in SB? ..when was it a pizza pizza?
It was a pizza pizza until about 1 year and a bit ago i believe. I used to go there all the time, it was excellent, and I would always get it right out of the oven with huge pieces.:facepalm:

Fiasco
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by schocker

It was a pizza pizza until about 1 year and a bit ago i believe. I used to go there all the time, it was excellent, and I would always get it right out of the oven with huge pieces.:facepalm:

yea it was decent good prices too 3.00 for cheese now its 3.50 for cheese. On the bright side i got a massive piece of veggie though, it wasen't the greatest.

mazdavirgin
10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by tabouli
Get a job, you losers. Then maybe you can afford ketchup & refills.[/asshole]

:rofl: Why is it ignorant or arrogant when everyone other franchise does so? I just vote with my feet and refuse to frequent those places and well if you think two packs of ketchup is enough for fries well I donno man. Seriously it is franchise policy to not charge for those items. If I was so inclined to report them they would get in crap with the head office. See thats the thing if you run a franchise you have to abide by the rules you can't just make them up however you want because you don't own the restaurant. You are in effect renting the place... If you want to be a ketchup nazi or skimp on the vegetables open up your own private restaurant and stop abusing the franchises good name.

PS: Glad you sunk down to ad hominem. I am neither "fat" or unemployed not that it would matter in the least when it comes to this point.

TYMSMNY
10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
^ how do you know it's in the franchise agreement? I agree that places should NOT charge for items like ketchup as it's a cost of doing business but some people just take it too far sometimes. Grabbing 5-6-10 packs of ketchup and not using it all/returning it. I'm just using ketchup as an example.

edit: what about debit charges? some places charges ~$0.25 to use it but like ketchup, it's a cost of business and should NOT be charged.

nonlinear
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Fiasco

it was pizza pizza before pizza 73, if you're looking for more homestyle food try the food court in education decent pizza's and food.

yea, there is also a cafeteria in engineering that offers a daily lunch special. it's 'hot lunch'-type food, you know, like they used to serve you in school as a kid.

anyhow, i'm a HUGE hot lunch fan and proponent, so i've been going to that cafeteria lately.

they have things like burritos ($3.50 or 2 for $6), chili with bun, etc. it's not gordon ramsay, but it's cheap and convenient and changes every day for variety that you don't have to think about!

nonlinear
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by tabouli
Retard of the year. A prominent display of North American ignorance.

It's a product. A physical, consumption based, sales product. Any idea how much waste is created in our society by allowing idiotic consumers to moderate themselves? Some of the fat fuckers that go into these places take so many extras you wouldn't imagine cutting a profit. I heard this over-weight asshole bitching at the counter on Monday about how they charge for refills at the drink dispenser. :rolleyes: Of course they do fatty, you'd drink away their monthly take if they didn't. Can't afford the 50 cents? Probably.

We've had a free ride for way too long in North America. We're so used to promotions and freebies that the slacking poor people in our society are trying to take a stand against paying for what they want.

Get a job, you losers. Then maybe you can afford ketchup & refills.

[/asshole]

you, sir, are acting like a first class prick.

i am not overweight, and i don't refill my drinks at fast food chains, but just wanted to stand up for the consumer. the price of these 'extras' is supposed to be built in to the prices - not added on after the fact. it's like the cheap bastards who make you pay a $0.25 interac fee, when instead they could add a fraction of a cent onto each item sold, and no one would ever know the difference. $7 for a cheap ass big mac meal??? are you effin' kidding me???? those used to go for $2.99 when i was in university in the states back in late 90s early 2000s. we now have parity of dollar, and you can't tell me food costs have risen $4 in 6 years.

also, you do know that the disposable wax-lined paper cup that the soda is served in costs more than the soda itself.

nonlinear
10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by schocker

and they had the 'frugal friday' special, 2 slices and pop (i think) for $5.

Mckenzie
10-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Brain was an absolute assholes but his wife was a total gem. She used to hook up free cookies and would always talk with me even when it was busy. I've never seen a guy treat his staff and customers so horrible.

On the other hand, they are open during odd hours and are relateively the most healthy / consistent eating option around.

toyboy88
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Oriental Wok special $2.75 :rofl:

Boosted Gtir
10-02-2008, 12:49 PM
didnt realize food was such a heated topic :dunno:

diamondedge
10-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I haven't eaten at Subway in a while. After reading some of the stories, ick. Now I just bring my own lunch and stuff in my homeroom's fridge. And we got cheap snacks, 75cent chocobars. Mmm, Nestle CRUNCH!

Anyway, on-topic.

Opa is pretty damn tasty, LOVEEEEE the pita bread they got. It's so fluffy! Contrast, shitty food right next door to good food.

nobb
10-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Yea some engineering homerooms have cheap food. Nothing in chem though. I wonder if I am allowed to just walk in to the electrical homerooms and grab a cheap drink once in a while?

nonlinear
10-02-2008, 07:59 PM

rm777
10-04-2008, 05:50 PM

you, sir, are acting like a first class prick.

i am not overweight, and i don't refill my drinks at fast food chains, but just wanted to stand up for the consumer. the price of these 'extras' is supposed to be built in to the prices - not added on after the fact. it's like the cheap bastards who make you pay a $0.25 interac fee, when instead they could add a fraction of a cent onto each item sold, and no one would ever know the difference. $7 for a cheap ass big mac meal??? are you effin' kidding me???? those used to go for $2.99 when i was in university in the states back in late 90s early 2000s. we now have parity of dollar, and you can't tell me food costs have risen $4 in 6 years.

also, you do know that the disposable wax-lined paper cup that the soda is served in costs more than the soda itself.

Are you sure you went to university? Because you sound like an idiot. Food cost has risen dramatically in the last 18 months. Furthermore, there are running food shortages in Canada and other developed nations. Hence, higher prices. Just compare the price of something simple like rice to how much it cost one year ago.

Second, the shortage in the Calgary labor market has also had a large impact on costs, especially in the restaurant business. Owners are having to pay wages that are almost ridiculous.

Just to save you from looking like a jackass when you respond, I was in the restaurant business for 16 years. Do yourself a favor, NEVER open your own business, it will be a guaranteed failure.

diamondedge
10-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Yea some engineering homerooms have cheap food. Nothing in chem though. I wonder if I am allowed to just walk in to the electrical homerooms and grab a cheap drink once in a while?

ZOO membership money pays for the drinks/snacks; so in essence, if you're part of CESS, beg them to give you guys cheap snacks, haha.

D_flore
10-05-2008, 05:39 AM
fyi the cups the pop is sold in does cost more than the pop. just thought id chip in lol

nonlinear
10-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by rm777

Furthermore, there are running food shortages in Canada and other developed nations. Hence, higher prices. Just compare the price of something simple like rice to how much it cost one year ago.

i remember the rice shortage just as well as you do (that's the ONLY food shortage I am aware of, and your ONLY example). i'm not sure if the price of rice has dropped since spring, but i can guarentee you they don't sell rice at subway.

i shop for groceries just like you do, and haven't noticed higher food prices in general. especially for the shit they serve up at subway.

that's great that you have 16 years of experience in the restaurant business. not sure if you're one of the cheap bastards that hoard napkins and charge extra for ketchup and interac, but if you are i can guarantee you that you're losing the business of customers like myself (and others in this thread) because you're trying to save a couple cents.

like i said earlier, my father runs a large and very successful auto repair shop. my grandfather opened the shop in the 1950s and it's been there ever since. they have never paid for advertising, relying instead on word of mouth. they routinely make small/minor repairs for free (like when someone stops in with a broken tail light) and they also offer grease oil filter service by an ASE certified mechanic for $30. they lose money on oil changes. their philosophy is that the business will be most sucessful and profitable if the customers are happy.

so don't tell me that I don't understand how a sucessful business should be run. i guess these are just different philosophies but i for one will patronize establishments where i get good service.

and please lay off the insults and personal attacks. I said you were acting like a prick, because you were (and still are) acting like one. i didn't, however, call you a jackass or insult your intelligence because i disagree with your business philosophy

good luck

rm777
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM

i remember the rice shortage just as well as you do (that's the ONLY food shortage I am aware of, and your ONLY example). i'm not sure if the price of rice has dropped since spring, but i can guarentee you they don't sell rice at subway.

i shop for groceries just like you do, and haven't noticed higher food prices in general. especially for the shit they serve up at subway.

that's great that you have 16 years of experience in the restaurant business. not sure if you're one of the cheap bastards that hoard napkins and charge extra for ketchup and interac, but if you are i can guarantee you that you're losing the business of customers like myself (and others in this thread) because you're trying to save a couple cents.

like i said earlier, my father runs a large and very successful auto repair shop. my grandfather opened the shop in the 1950s and it's been there ever since. they have never paid for advertising, relying instead on word of mouth. they routinely make small/minor repairs for free (like when someone stops in with a broken tail light) and they also offer grease oil filter service by an ASE certified mechanic for $30. they lose money on oil changes. their philosophy is that the business will be most sucessful and profitable if the customers are happy.

so don't tell me that I don't understand how a sucessful business should be run. i guess these are just different philosophies but i for one will patronize establishments where i get good service.

and please lay off the insults and personal attacks. I said you were acting like a prick, because you were (and still are) acting like one. i didn't, however, call you a jackass or insult your intelligence because i disagree with your business philosophy

good luck

It's not about philosophical differences. An auto repair shop and a restaurant are two VERY different businesses. I can guarantee you that there are a number of small costs in the restaurant business that can spiral out of control very quickly. As a result, keeping small costs in line
can make or break you.

In terms of food shortages, look at the price of produce, meats and chicken, these are all used by Subway. My point is, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

I will not comment on the auto repair business as I have never been in that industry. By the way, it sounds like it is your father's business and not yours, therefore your comments have been taken with a pound of salt.

nonlinear
10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
^^it's still all about service. i can guarantee you that 10 minutes of an ASE certified mechanic's time cost WAY more than your napkins and soy sauce packets.

anyhow, back on topic.

went back to U of C subway last week and asked for sub sauce and got some sweet shit instead. didn't realize it until i was back in my office. fired an email to subway customer service and told them i wanted to be contacted. someone actually called me back and left a voice message... so i'll call them monday and see what happens. i'm hoping they talk to the new owners of this franchise and get them to address some of these issues

rmk
10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
It is hilarious how you keep going back :rofl:

nonlinear
10-05-2008, 05:48 PM
well shit man, like i said earlier, it's a captive market and there is no competition. there are only like 5 different cuisine options in all of mac hall (cause there is too much overlap among outlets), and i'm not gonna eat A&W or greasy chinese/viet or taco time every day

keep in mind also that i've been at U of C since 2001, so options get really old.

i guess it's like high gas prices.... those suck too, but i still need to drive so have to pay the high prices

msommers
10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
What's the problem with bringing your own fucking lunch?

nonlinear
10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
too much planning

msommers
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
So basically, you're too damn lazy to pack your own lunch and are getting mad because the service at a chain restaurant sucks balls. Well guess what? No one here is going to give you sympathy because with all the effort you've spent bitching about subway or all the other crap food places in mac hall, you could have made yourself a sweet lunch. And here is a thought, if you don't like a restaurant, don't support them; ie: buying their product.

My first year at the U I loved subway. Now I'll never eat there or even other subways. Service sucks my ass, toppings have been reduced significantly, prices have gone up and my order usually gets fucked up. So what did I do? MADE MY OWN LUNCH. No one is to blame if it tastes like ass but myself. Not only that, I can pile on as many fucking pickles as I want!!

Cole's Notes: Stop being lazy and reward yourself with a lunch you've made the way you want.

Vagabond142
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Easy as fuck lunch to make and bring yourself: Slow cooker chili

On sunday morning:

Brown 1 lb ground beef in frying pan with a little cayenne for punch. Drain grease off, dump beef in cooker. Add 1 large can tomato sauce, two cloves smashed garlic, 1 medium roughly diced onion, 1 can drained and rinsed dark kidney beans, if you like em toss in some diced green pepper as well. So far, time spent = ~15 minutes.

Add chili powder to taste, optional herbs (basil is pretty common) to preference, stir generously, put on lid, turn on low, leave it all day. Turn it off an hour or so before you hit the hay, and just before you go to bed, put the entire crock pot (cooled) in the fridge.

There you have it, about 3 days worth of lunches that promote metabolism, are healthy, and taste fucking great :)

Also, all the ingredients to make it cost less than a sandwich combo at subway.

rinny
10-09-2008, 09:56 PM

went back to U of C subway last week and asked for sub sauce and got some sweet shit instead. didn't realize it until i was back in my office. fired an email to subway customer service and told them i wanted to be contacted. someone actually called me back and left a voice message... so i'll call them monday and see what happens. i'm hoping they talk to the new owners of this franchise and get them to address some of these issues

Revenger is always good....transfer funds from one bank account to another, leaving only a dollar in the primary one. Go order 2 footlongs and combos and then go try and pay for it. Youtube that shit!

-Jay21-
10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
The subway at deerfoot meadows by best buy know how to keep their customers happy, others have been hit and miss though.

Eleanor
10-09-2008, 10:48 PM
^ :werd: that location has given me the best service before. I go there fairly often (I work near there) and he always gives me a bigger drink or a free cookie. Little things like that guarantee repeat customers :thumbsup:

LongCity
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
Oriental Wok special $2.75 :rofl:

Those things used to come in the big trays 2 years ago.:(