PDA

View Full Version : trailer maneuvering

erwin11
09-14-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm new to trucks. Could someone give me a link to the manual on trailer maneuvering? Preferably with pictures.

ryder_23
09-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Theirs one in the drivers hand book

5.9 R/T
09-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Steer left, go right, steer right go left. What kind of man are you that you need to read a manual? haha j/k

ryder_23
09-14-2003, 01:10 PM
just put ur hand on steering wheel down below, ur hand upside down, and if ur hand goes to the right, thats where the trailer will go, if it goes left, thats where the trailer will go. thats how i think of it when i do it

ramminghard
09-14-2003, 01:49 PM
go in an open place. Start practicing. it all depends on the length of the trailer, and other things like the size of it. it just takes pracitce

C_CRX
09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
just put ur hand on steering wheel down below, ur hand upside down, and if ur hand goes to the right, thats where the trailer will go, if it goes left, thats where the trailer will go. thats how i think of it when i do it

That's probably the best advice I can give to a n00b. I haul/move trailers at work and that's how I got into knowing how to back them up properly. Another thing I suggest is putting a hand at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, whichever way you move your hand the trailer will go. I also suggest in lots and lots of practice and get a feel for the trailer. Getting a good run at the parking spot (go in close to it then crank the wheel and drive parallel to it) to get the trailer in position helps a lot. then you just have to move the steering wheel a tiny bit to just straighten it out.

Things such as weight distribution, length (mostly length to the axels) and other smaller factors all play a role in how well the trailer will move. And if the spot is tight or you feel unsure, get a SPOTTER and use those mirrors for what they are good for. HTH

ryder_23
09-14-2003, 08:33 PM
^^

isnt that what i said?

4wheeldrift
09-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by C_CRX
And if the spot is tight or you feel unsure, get a SPOTTER and use those mirrors for what they are good for. HTH Mirrors are only useful if you can see anything in them. Backing our trailer into the parking space behind the house with our van, I find it MUCH easier to just lean all the way out the window, since the mirrors are so tiny you really can't see shit in them. Good trailer towing mirrors are another story though.