PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

EvolutionI
09-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Where would I get a mounting bracket for jl speaker? they are the 6.5 inch ones, to go in the rear. The stock one's screw holes didn't match up :(

Graham_A_M
09-19-2008, 08:50 PM
What size are the factory holes? 6x9? Most speakers should fit right in. If they dont, feel free to make holes. Its nice to have pre-fit holes to use, if not there is no real problem in using a wood screw to make new ones. Just make sure you use a gasket to create a proper seal do you dont have air rushing through the gaps between the speaker and whatever holes there might already be there.

EvolutionI
09-19-2008, 08:58 PM
well the old speaker was a paper one, was the exact same size as mine, but had on each corner tabs sticking out for the screw holes, which then screw onto the bracket, making the bracket screw holes farther apart. The old bracket also is not wide enough, so the new one gets caught up on the lip. With out the bracket, only about .5 cm on 2 sides of the speaker balance in the speaker hole? If that is what it is called.

Would it be possible to make a sub box, but it would be a speaker box?

Annnnnnnd how can I lengthen the wires running to the speakers? As in, what is the best way to do that.

blazzer
09-19-2008, 10:28 PM
well with the mounting one thing ive learned is "custom" if it dosent fit make it. now i dont mean force it in make it fit by modifying something obvisly without damaging anything(like your speaker)

this may sound like common sence but a lot of people dont really think about that like graham was saying make new holes or modify the brakect by your .5cm you are talking about

as for a speaker box sure why dont u make one?

you can lengthen wires in 3 ways

1 pull it and hopefully it will get longer :P

2 buy some longer wire

OR

3 mod the wire by this i mean either cut it OR attach some butt connector( can buy them at walmart or CT) or bullet connectors(i reccomend butt connectors though if you are wanting to make a wire longer) you will need crimps as well if you dont have these already

then you take the one current wire put it in the butt end and crimp take the new wire and insert on the other butt end and crimp and wa'la a longer wire

EvolutionI
09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
thanks, but what I was getting at for the speaker was that there is no way any modification would have worked to the original bracket.

Makes sense in hindsight that once I put the new speaker up to the old one (while it was still on) and starting removing the screws, I should have realized that it wouldn't be a screw out-screw in job :(

thanks both of you. Sadly this will have to wait till at least Tuesday. A couple days with only 3 speakers won't kill me.