PDA

View Full Version : Those who run summer/winter tires

bigbadboss101
09-20-2008, 10:00 AM
For those of you who run strictly summer and winter tires, when do you change up? Mid October? Chances are we will be running our winter tires when it's bone dry and warm, and also will get caught with summer tires when we get hail, wet snow, snow etc.

I am planning on buying the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 but don't want to mount them yet. But when it starts snowing the Falken 452 (the back two are bald) would be useless.

Yeah I don't have two sets of tires. Otherwise it would be more simple.

revelations
09-20-2008, 10:15 AM
I go by temp.

Once the overnight lows dip below 0, I change.

benyl
09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
get yourself two sets of rims as well. Saves the constant mounting and dismounting charges.

Tik-Tok
09-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Why not buy some steelies, or a cheap set of rims for winter?

ryanallan
09-20-2008, 10:18 AM
just buy a set of wheels and tyres now, and install them when you think the time is rite.

you wouldn't want to ruin your cady wheels in the winter anyways.

riced
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
mid-october to the end of october is usually when I change
that's when it starts to get cold and I don't wanna wake up one morning with snow all over the place.
It's happened once and I'm not gonna let it happen again

2EFNFAST
09-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Whenever it starts to snow - they're mounted on their own rims.

It's just not worth it to pay $80 to change tires and have the damage teh rims, again and again and again........

All you have to do is keep the car for ~5yrs and you break even and have a nice set of new aftermarket rims :clap: (or be like my dad and pimp steelies for $40/corner :rofl: )

89s1
09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
to answer the question as to when i change.

"To early" will be my answer. every year I change too early and then have beautiful weather and crumby steelies on the car.

EvolutionI
09-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I already changed em. Did it last weekend, had time, and once it snows, I know the last thing I will want to do is stay at work till 9 just to change my own tires over.

Doozer
09-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI
I already changed em. Did it last weekend, had time, and once it snows, I know the last thing I will want to do is stay at work till 9 just to change my own tires over. Haha, just did mine today, and thought I would be the only one. It's a lot better changing the tires when my hands aren't freezing off!

To be fair, my "winter" tires are just the stock all-seasons so I'm not really that concerned about wear on the dry pavement, but my summer tires absolutely cannot move the car on snow. I'm supposed to be in Banff next weekend, where the high is supposed to be 2C, with mixed snow/rain. There's no way I'm getting stuck on my useless summers in that.

Boomph
09-20-2008, 08:40 PM
I got mine changed this morning...its a bit early but i find it better to be early than late like last year where i was forced to drive in my summers on ice

max_boost
09-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Usually late October is when I get mine put on. Dunlop M3's are a performance winter tire so it won't eat away the tread compared to a softer tire so you'll be fine.

Destinova403
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Halloween Day usually is when i do it... we usually have snow that night :P

my stock rims are my winters and my Tenzos are my summers, its much easier if you have 2 sets of rims... you can even do it at home with basic tools.

GTS Jeff
09-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, it's still racing season for another month or so, so I think you guys are jumping the gun on changing to winter tires so quick.

Historically I use the Remembrance Day long weekend to either change tires or to park my summer car. By then, it has started snowing, but somehow it always clears up for that one weekend.

tirebob
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Rule of thumb to change your tires when the temps start consistently staying below 7 degrees celcius... It is at that temperature when the rubber in summer/all-season tires starts to firm up and affect traction levels.

JordanAndrew
09-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Rule of thumb to change your tires when the temps start consistently staying below 7 degrees celcius... It is at that temperature when the rubber in summer/all-season tires starts to firm up and affect traction levels.

Right from the tire expert! Thanks for the tip, I usually change mine around mid october as well to be completely honest. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the temp this month instead just to try your advice.

DC2
09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

:werd: thats some good advice from the tire master..
I'll keep that in mind from now on..

mekeni
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Halloween for me...

+1 for separate rims