PDA

View Full Version : For those boaters on beyond...

rinny
09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I've been checkin around and looking at used boats to possibly pick one up in due time. Im looking for some stories of insight and experience with boats to keep in mind when looking...

Im looking for something no more than 15k, mainly just looking for a ski/sport boat. At bare minimum a 3L, 135HP, however a 4.3L would be favorable

I happened to find this on kijiji which almost seems too good to be true, both are Bayliner 175:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-2006-Bayliner-175-W0QQAdIdZ75592907

because this boat is the same year and about the same model that the other boat:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-2006-Bayliner-17-5-ft-W0QQAdIdZ64530135

Knowledge is much appreciated!

rookie101
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Kijiji is horrible for scams. If it seems to good to be true it is.

Personally I would stay away from the 3.0l if you plan on using the boat for much in the way of towing skiers or boarders as its a bit weak. Go with minimum the 4.3l and you will be much happier in the long run.

Some things to keep in mind before you take the plunge though are:

Where are you going to store it? If you don't have room at your house budget for 50 to 100 dollars a month.

What are you going to tow it with, and how is it on fuel? Plan on at least 150 dollars in fuel between the tow vehicle and the boat for every trip.

Who will come with you, and can they back the trailer in while you unload/load the boat. Trust me its handy to have help.

And finally budget 500 to a thousand dollars for safety gear, towables (tubes/wake boards/ect..) and water toys.

Boats really are a hole in the water to throw money, but they can be worth every penny if you enjoy being on the water. Hope this helps.

PS: if your serious, this really is the time of year to buy.

jonnycat
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
A new 18.5 footer with a 4cyl can be had for $20k. If you plan on pulling a and adult behind the boat, get a V6.

Here's a nice Larson

http://www.boat.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=32935629&pgno=2&srt=1

RoGZ
09-22-2008, 09:07 AM
what do you plan to do with the boat, skiing, wakeboarding wakesurfing? with any of those boats wakesurfing is out of the question do to the prop placement. Also consider the cost of a tower.

if you go the v-drive or d-drive route your maintenance and fuel costs will also go up.

if you can go to the states and pull something up, way cheaper and better bang for your buck.

DJ_NAV
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
get ready to spend like 10 grand on expenses over the 4 months over summer..... gas gas gas!, gas to tow the boat, gas to cruise the boat, gas to pull wakeboarders.... and remember that boats only take premium...

Stunt66
09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
it's gonna be expensive but 10k is a little out of whack unless you're doing a long trip every week. The season here is extremely short so you don't even get to use it as much as people think. If you have an option for a motor get the biggest you can if you wanna tow. We have a 5l v8 thats got 260hp and when pulling out 220 lb plus guys you can really tell their back there but it still does the job nicely. Boats should be really cheap now because of the off season and our crazy economy. You should definately check out the states if you can because those guys are getting hit hard and a lot of people are either selling their toys or getting them repo'd.

VW337
09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
get ready to spend like 10 grand on expenses over the 4 months over summer..... gas gas gas!, gas to tow the boat, gas to cruise the boat, gas to pull wakeboarders.... and remember that boats only take premium...

I work at a boat dealership and there is alot of boats that don't need premium.