PDA

View Full Version : Carfax says Total Loss Vehicle?

Preslow
09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm looking at a vehicle that is in absolutely mint shape. I've worked in the auto industry and i know when a vehicle has been in an accident, i specialized in appraisals. This vehicle has perfect body panels, the inside engine bay lines up nicely, every single piece on the body looks mint. However, I did a carfax on it, and it says "ALERT! Total Loss Check reported on --/--/--"

However, I look at the Other Information, and it says "no structural or frame damage reported", no "airbag deployment" no "odometer rollback" "ACCIDENT CHECK ISSUES" but still no manufacturer recall check, etc.
however, this car is not titled as a rebuild as well.. its branded as NONE.
The vehicle was a fleet vehicle for a Nissan dealership and had documented history until 146xxxkm which was in the year 2004. The vehicle was worth roughly thirty thousand dollars. Than on May 1/2004 says "VEHICLE declared TOTAL LOSS" and "CARFAX began reporting this information on
09/06/2008." However one month and 5 days later it was registered again..
why the delay for the 4 years for this apparent accident to show up? and secondly, when reading about Total Loss the glossary for carfax.com says
"An insurance or fleet company declares a vehicle a total loss when a claim exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value or if the vehicle is stolen and not recovered. This damage threshold varies by company. These companies typically take possession and obtain the title. Not all total loss vehicles result in a DMV-reported branded title. This may occur when an insurance company's definition of a total loss is different than the state DMV's definition for a branded title or when the owner of the vehicle is a self-insured company, like a fleet or rental company."

Was this possible this car was stolen? because to fix up 75% of the damage of a car worth 30 thousand dollars in 2004 in one month would be absolutely insanely fast... was possibly the car just stolen and declared a Total Loss? I've heard of insurance companies doing this. And why the clean title and not a rebuild ???

BlackArcher101
09-22-2008, 02:08 AM
You should accompany the carfax report with one from carproof.com (if it's canadian). It will search the insurance history and give you a more complete report probably.

urban.one
09-22-2008, 09:20 AM
coulda been stolen as you say, and not recovered for an extended period of time.

total loss could also be from damage such as a flood.