PDA

View Full Version : Going back on creatine. Should I load again?

cjay^
09-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey guys i started using creatine about 2 months ago, and after the first month on it i started working a lot more and had less time to go to the gym so on days where i wouldnt work out, i wouldnt take creatine, and eventually i just stopped. Well, i haven't touched the stuff in 2 or 3 weeks and still have about 400g left and now that I am only working 16 hours a week (i'm back in school) so i have more time to work out and want to get back on creatine.

Now my question is, should i start a loading phase of 20g a day for 5 days like when i first started? i've tried searching but cant find any answers

tm88
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I am always in the same boat. I take it properly for a couple months but then get real busy with work and end up stopping. The last time it was because i ran out of creatine. (ordered some Xyience lastnight as i have not seen much bad stuff about it)

Anyways, every time i re start i go through the loading phase again however i reduce the amount per serving in the loading phase.

zipdoa
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Toma (I may be wrong, either him, or one of the active posters in the health and fitness forums, but we'll just go with toma), gets Creatine @ Superstore for $12/kg, and then eats corn flakes to create an insulin spike before taking it and working out. A much cheaper alternative to taking xyience.

As for loading, Whenever I am off creatine for more than a couple months, I double up the reccomended dose for the first 5 days at the gym, as it seems to get it pumping through my system better.

Another Q for those in the know... Does taking creatine POST workout really have any benefit? I've heard (from unreliable sources, albiet still sources) that it just goes to waste if you're not pumping.

doggystyle
09-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Generally your body can only metabolize about 10g of creatine per day on a fairly strict workout regime (depending on your weight and muscle mass). It is a waste if you are loading more than 10g into your body as you will just urinate the excess. If you are just getting back into working out while on creatine you should be loading this 10g into your body with a 5g dose with food about 45 mins before your workout and then 5g post-workout. After about a week of this routine drop back to 5g pre-workout and remember to drink at least 2-3L of water per day to really get the full effect. :thumbsup:

tm88
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
It may be 12$ a kg at superstore but that is just the pure creatine without any of the other additives.

I got the xyience off ebay, a 400g container of fruit punch for 20$ cdn shipped.

I just want to try it as i have taken the cheap route and the more expensive route. I am trying to think of what it is called, X-pand or something and i noticed better gains all around with the higher end stuff. Keep in mind i wasnt taking corn flakes with the cheap stuff

:devil:

403ep3
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
400g is very tiny. Me and my buddy ordered a six pack for like 130-150? and that was the bigger containers. It lasted quite a while and xyience is okay. How do you guys feel about no xplode? I haven't been on creatine for about 8 months. Has anyone tried it?

civic_rida
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
the caffiene in no-xplode is awesome. Got great pumps using this product.

403ep3
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm guessing popeyes is the best place to get it, right?

zipdoa
09-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Popeyes is better than GNC. And those are the only two local stores i've been to. I prefer to get shit online... try fitnessone.com, they have borderless shipping which means you get your parcel fast =).

I also take Xpand and find it very effective, and no-xplode claims to have CEM3 which actually does not exist. I find no-xplode just makes me dizzy at the end of a workout and would rather drink a bit of coffee, plus considering the amount of creatine in it is a lot less compared to xpand or xyience, I feel that it's really not a great deal. Just personal opinion however... I have some buddies who love spending $80 a month on the shit!

cjay^
09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I think I will try 5g pre-workout in a high carbohydrate drink to get the insulin spike, and then 5g post workout with my shake.

Originally posted by zipdoa
Another Q for those in the know... Does taking creatine POST workout really have any benefit? I've heard (from unreliable sources, albiet still sources) that it just goes to waste if you're not pumping. [/B]

Once you are in a maintenance phase as far as i know there is no benefit at all in taking it pre workout, as your muscles are already saturated, however as the creatine is used up during your workout, you can replenish it when you take creatine post workout.

Can anyone confirm this?

JAYMEZ
09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Not gunna lie , I think its funny seeing people talk about Creatine as if its a steriod cycle lol. I would only use Creatine if I was dog tired and needed an upper in the gym.

zipdoa
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Not gunna lie , I think its funny seeing people talk about Creatine as if its a steriod cycle lol. I would only use Creatine if I was dog tired and needed an upper in the gym.

I think you'd want something like no-xplode or coffee if you wanted an 'upper' in the gym. AFAIK Creatine doesn't give you a big rush of energy, but rather allows you to pump harder and retain more water, both effective means of accelerating your strength and size.

Not gunna lie, I think it's funny seeing people on steroid cycles.

Please Refer to this (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/223898/wtb-calgary-goin-out-uniform/) thread.

Darkane
09-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Sure you can load up again if you're using Creatine mono.

If you got Creatine ethyl ether use 8g/day dose. Split it 4g before, and 4g after workout.

On non-workout days just have it inbetween meals like 2g a time.

For Mono do it the way you've been doing it if that's what you got.

I've never used creatine, but that info came from My trainer when I asked him about it.

kerry
09-23-2008, 12:22 AM
OR just get some Tren.

Check your exp date on Xyience. That shit may be expired seeing as how the company went tits up a while back.

403ep3
09-23-2008, 01:11 AM
We sold the other 4 xyience we didn't use. I'm looking for more of a creatine based supplement. I would like the caffeine but there is no need for that. I take creatine until my jug is done and then lay off for a while..6months plus?

DSM_1
09-23-2008, 02:21 AM
I usually go for Gaspari's Superpump250 before workout, and SizeOn for creatine after. It tastes good, works great... just recently started using Muscletech creatine... (cell-tech), but next month im going back to gaspari products, along with Allmax's Isoflex protein.

pinoyhero
09-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Or you can dump the stuff and eat more red meat, get your size from natural sources, it will pay off in the end. I know for more serious athletes this is not a solution, but unless your "at the level" I would suggest fixing your diet before supplementing.

zipdoa
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Or you can dump the stuff and eat more red meat, get your size from natural sources, it will pay off in the end. I know for more serious athletes this is not a solution, but unless your "at the level" I would suggest fixing your diet before supplementing.

Very important... I tend to assume kids asking questions here already know that, but yes, eating 6 evenly spaced meals a day is key. I find making huge portions of spaghetti with lean ground beef is the easiest way to get big.

Rocky
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you! There's a few sensible people left.

I don't know when and where this "creatine revolution" started, but it's ridiculous. People start working out and a month later they're saying they want to start taking supplements. Your body has enough of what you need to gain muscle, and all you need is a sensible diet (enough protein, etc). Work out for 2 or 3 years consistently and then start talking about supplements. Otherwise pay your dues.

max_boost
09-23-2008, 06:36 PM
^^

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. It's not like I need to go on Creatine but I was actually researching and thinking about it for the past few days lol and I've only been working out for two months :nut:

Anyway, can you clarify this part
Work out for 2 or 3 years consistently and then start talking about supplements. Otherwise pay your dues.

Why 2-3 years? Other than the commitment shown to the fitness :D

Is that the average time most people plateau? Slow gains? Has the body adapted to the routine?

Thanks.

Rocky
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Eventually you'll hit a wall, basically a point where you are constantly working out but you just can't seem to get past a certain amount of weight, where you just don't seem to see results physically, etc. Supplements like creatine, protein, can help you get past those. So yeah, basically when you plateau.

Therein lies the problem though. So many people think they hit those plateaus after some extraordinarily little amount of time because they don't know what they're doing in the gym. That seems to be a big reason (at least IMO) why you have so many people hopping on the supplement bandwagon (often younger guys 16-18). I also think the heavy marketing of a lot of supplements as seen in UFC -- which is more popular than ever nowadays -- is a big factor, but that's an aside.

If you're working out properly, doing the right exercises, the right amount of weight, the right amount of sets, etc, there shouldn't be any true walls you can't overcome naturally for a good 2-3 years. If you feel like you're plateau'ing at a certain point, do some research and try to find new exercise (i.e. sets) to help specifically build what you're having trouble with. That's also what I mean when I say "pay your dues" -- results aren't meant to come easy but they're sure satisfying when they do arrive. Just have to be patient and committed.

pinoyhero
09-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. It's not like I need to go on Creatine but I was actually researching and thinking about it for the past few days lol and I've only been working out for two months :nut:

Anyway, can you clarify this part

Why 2-3 years? Other than the commitment shown to the fitness :D

Is that the average time most people plateau? Slow gains? Has the body adapted to the routine?

Thanks.

I was kinda just cuffing a time but really I think that's how long it takes to try a number of routines, get to know your body, learn to stick to eating right and doing enough research to know where you're realy at. I didn't mean to suugest that your weren't a serious fitness guy but really you'll get far more gains and improvements from a good diet than you will with taking supps. TRUST ME :)

SteveMo600
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I find it ridiculous that so many guys new to working out want to hit supplements. I'm all for a protein supplement, but if you're just starting out, you really don't need anything more than a multi-vitamin.

I agree with what a lot of these guys are saying. 2-3 years, then maybe look into it. Stop trying to take the shortcut.

Allocate your time and money towards a smart diet full of the right carbs, fat and protein instead of hittin a product that you know nothing about.

Darkane
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I agree with all you guys. I still won't use creatine lol.

I also don't like the water retention look you get. Vascularity makes you look scarier anyway :D

Also people HARDLY ever reach their natural genetic limits. People don't know how to train or eat properly.. Never taught, can't be blamed.

For example post workout drinks. So many people don't utilize these. They don't know how or why.

Post workout with in 30-45minutes is the "prime time". Your body is like a sponge. It NEEDS fast carbs to replace glycogen. Insulin sensitivity is at it's highest post workout. All the sugar will go to the muscles, the faster the sugar the better.

I suggest everyone do this post workout: 20-30min after workout drink 60G of sugary carbs. I like gatorade, however ONLY the powder for it has Sugar/Dextrose. The drink might have some other forms like fructose syrup. 10 minutes after that drink 60G whey.

Right after that as soon as you're hungry EAT, but make sure it's lean protein and minimal fat. You want another fast meal in your system. Fat slows down the absorption.

50G protein (lean meat [Chicken, fish, Beef]), 50g slow carbs (Oats, Brown rice,) and have some broccoli or other green veggies.

People try this if you're stalled and see what happens to the weights. If you're still stalled take a deload week, or a week off totally and focus on eating CLEANLY. Key word there.

Food, Work > Supplements. I've read before supps are only a 5% thing anyway. I tend to agree for the most part. There are a couple that are "good" out there however.

Rocky
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I love post-workout "burning mode" :D

What else would you recommend for "sugary carbs" besides powder gatorade?

Darkane
09-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I love post-workout "burning mode" :D

What else would you recommend for "sugary carbs" besides powder gatorade?

Anything that creates a big insulin spike. Corn flakes work good.

Waxy Maize is the best though. That shit'll give you diabetes! Joking obviously.. But it's faaast :D

Maltodextrin works great too. The key in all of this is Insulin sensitivity. By being sensitive the glucose will 'force' itself into your muscle and they will accept it. By being resistant (fat, lazy, no workouts) the insulin will 'force' the glucose into the fat.. and it will gladly accept it! :D

Few things that help with Insulin sensitivity: Fish oil, Cinnamon, Heavy lifting.

broken_legs
09-23-2008, 11:35 PM
I took three serious* 5 week creatine cycles back in the day and quite frankly I thought it did wonders. When I work out I plateau. Get to a place where no matter how I change up the exercises through routine, weight, reps, etc, I can't get my muscles sore anymore. I can just work them until they are tired.

When I was on the creatine I felt like I had a wicked pump when I was on it. It just 'felt good' to push weight when I was on it and I was able to rip muscle quite easily again. My max lifts went up, i got bigger (all went away after i was off it, but the strength stayed) Your experience may vary.

I took a name brand mono hydrate like Pro labs and took it with a 30 g serving of Dextrose from the wine kit store. Did this AFTER my work outs and just mixed it with my isolate.

Worked wonders for me.

EDIT:

Darkane,

Always interesting to read your input on things since you are so well studied it seems.

Why haven't you tried creatine?

cjay^
09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Why?

Are you trying to say creatine monohydrate isn't natural yet its in the red meat you are advocating?

I dont see why I should spend more money on my diet (which you have no idea about, so how would you know I need to "fix" it) in order to eat more fatty red meat when I am already meeting my daily requirements of carbs and protein in my 5-6 meals a day, PLUS getting all the creatine my muscles can hold all thanks to suppliments?

Creatine mono is dirt cheap ($25 for 600g where I get it) and gives me a nice boost in the gym. Whats the problem?