PDA

View Full Version : Dear U of C Career Fair Round 1

msommers
09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Thank you for all the free shit I got from you guys today. Now, normally anyone with half a conscience would feel guilty just taking all this stuff (nice utility pen Exxon) without some genuine interest in getting a job. Unfortunately, everyone except for Nexen has complete retards representing their company.

Thanks again for the stuff and I'm looking forward to round 2:)

Crymson
09-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Make sure u go to the acience and engineering one tomorrow. More free crap. And better people at booths, less hr douches.

gqmw
09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I got so many brochures and I had to listen to the people talk before I could get my free stuff...
and then I left my bag that I got at the fair with all my free stuff.....at school... :(

nobb
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
There was nothing good today, except for that mini tape dispenser/staple/highlighter bundle from transcanada. Hoping to score some usb keys and crank flashlights for tomorrow.

gqmw
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
There was a pretty cool box thingy from I think transalta?
It had like a mini highlighter/pen thingy, mini stapler and like mini tape haha.

Crymson
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
you gotta go early the good shit is usually given away by noon

flipstah
09-22-2008, 11:11 PM
I got a cool tape measure/post-it note combo from Esso.

Kickass flashlight/screwdriver/level set from ExxonMobil and a mini office kit from TransCanada. :thumbsup:

Where's the Engg/Sci one tomorrow?

ZedMan
09-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Upper track, jack simpson 10:00am-4:00pm

badatusrnames
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Science and Engg one was pointless too - I'm not big into useless junk.

I'd prefer to actually speak to the people that I'm going to be working for and with and possibly leave a resume behind. Not to a clueless HR weenies that have no idea how their company operates and makes the money that pays them.

It seemed that some of the smaller companies had actual staff on hand. But all of the Oil & Gas companies had their HR retards manning their booths:

HR Staff: "Hi!"

Me: "I'm interested in a 16 month placement. Does (insert company name here) participate in the UofC internship program?"

HR Retard: "Here's a pen with our company logo on it! Take a mint!!"

Me: "Ok, what types of positions are typically available? I'm interested in subsurface versus facilities work."

Sociology Major (with a minor in gender studies): "Here's our fluffy corporate social responsibility document that doesn't say much in 3000 words and has pictures of models dressed up as our employees and pictures of trees showing what a friendly company we are. You wouldn't even know we are an oil company from looking at it!"

Me: "Do you typically post all of your positions publicly, or can I submit an unsolicited resume for consideration?"

Did I mention I have a certificate in HR from the University of Phoenix?: "Take this tape measure too! It has our logo printed on the side and underneath you can open this door and there are post-it notes inside!! On the other side of our tape measure our website address is printed! I ordered them myself!!"

:dunno:

msommers
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't forgot the "I"m not sure if we have those positions available, please take this brochure and look on our website because I have no fucking idea what is going on."

But ya, I'll take your pen. Thanks!

rage2
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Science and Engg one was pointless too - I'm not big into useless junk.

I'd prefer to actually speak to the people that I'm going to be working for and with and possibly leave a resume behind. Not to a clueless HR weenies that have no idea how their company operates and makes the money that pays them.

It seemed that some of the smaller companies had actual staff on hand. But all of the Oil & Gas companies had their HR retards manning their booths:

HR Staff: "Hi!"

Me: "I'm interested in a 16 month placement. Does (insert company name here) participate in the UofC internship program?"

HR Retard: "Here's a pen with our company logo on it! Take a mint!!"

Me: "Ok, what types of positions are typically available? I'm interested in subsurface versus facilities work."

Sociology Major (with a minor in gender studies): "Here's our fluffy corporate social responsibility document that doesn't say much in 3000 words and has pictures of models dressed up as our employees and pictures of trees showing what a friendly company we are. You wouldn't even know we are an oil company from looking at it!"

Me: "Do you typically post all of your positions publicly, or can I submit an unsolicited resume for consideration?"

Did I mention I have a certificate in HR from the University of Phoenix?: "Take this tape measure too! It has our logo printed on the side and underneath you can open this door and there are post-it notes inside!! On the other side of our tape measure our website address is printed! I ordered them myself!!"

:dunno:
I guess I'll have to make sure I'm there if we do decide to do a booth :).

badatusrnames
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I guess I'll have to make sure I'm there if we do decide to do a booth :).

Please do, Engineering student want to talk to the type of people that are in the role they are going to potentially be in and that they are going to potentially work for or with.

You can't have any sort of meaningful conversation about a potential job with some HR dork that doesn't have a clue what it is they are hiring for.

Penis McNickels
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM

You can't have any sort of meaningful conversation about a potential job with some HR dork that doesn't have a clue what it is they are hiring for.

That's funny, because I had a chat with somone that goes to these career fairs (no, he isn't HR) as a representative and he didn't mention anything to me about having meaningful conversations with engineering students. It was more like "God, I hate having to talk to those kids and answering their stupid questions."

But hey, at least you got a free pen. Yippeee!

t_soarer
09-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by msommers
nice utility pen Exxon

+1

Crymson
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Please do, Engineering student want to talk to the type of people that are in the role they are going to potentially be in and that they are going to potentially work for or with.

I agree. Very rarely though, do companies send just their HR person to a career fair. Our booths are always staffed with Geotechnical, engineering, etc.. Whatever we're hiring for, we try to have someone there who is a relatively new grad in their field of study to talk to the students about their field.

And be forwarned, if someone askes for you name it may not be because they really liked you, it may be because they despised you. I understand that people are dropping into a career fair between classes etc... but if you're coming out to make an impression on me, and you're hair is sideways, you're breath smells like someone shit in your mouth, and there is a mustard stain on your sweatpants, i'm not going to be interested in your 3.9 GPA, and i'll make a point to watch out for your resume.