PDA

View Full Version : Winter Steel Wheels

hadookin
09-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Since that time of year is soon upon us... where is the cheapest place you guys have found your winter steelies this year or last year. So far out of the places I have called Wal-mart is the cheapest, the tire shop by my office is asking way more

Wasn't able to get a price from Canadian tire or Costco, no one ever answers the phone.

Can any of the tire guys on here beat Wal-Marts price?

So far... Cheapest

1. Wal-Mart - $54.98
2. Canadian Tire - ?
3. Costco - ?
4. Crappy Tire Shop - $80

TomcoPDR
09-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Try calling Beyond user: TireBob from Urban Expression Tires and Wheels

He's reasonally competitive as well, I'm getting my steelies from him this year.

ryanallan
09-23-2008, 01:01 AM
are those prices for 4 rims ?

ercchry
09-23-2008, 01:07 AM
i would look at used stock wheels, probably cheaper. i got a set of stock 240sx tear drops for $20 haha, with rubber still

tirebob
09-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Be careful when shopping for steel rims. You ideally want the rims to be OEM or at least completely hub centric for your vehicle instead of generic universals or you will often have ride quality issues... Most of the cheaper CT, Wal-Mart and costco rims are universals...

OEM Take offs really are frequently not a lot more expensive if not the same price or cheaper and simply work far better than the universals...

rc2002
09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ryanallan
are those prices for 4 rims ?

Nope. Those would be per rim.

I agree with Bob, try to get takeoff rims. They're deisgned for the vehicle you're using them on - hubcentric rims are worth the premium you pay for them.

rece
09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
pmed, I have a set of aluminum take offs, used, but cheap

hadookin
09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm just trying to find the cheapest route for my girlfriend to go. buying another set of rims will add $200-$500 to the price of the winter tires, plus installation and balancing.

Proably end of switching the tires over from the factory wheels.

tirebob
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hadookin
I'm just trying to find the cheapest route for my girlfriend to go. buying another set of rims will add $200-$500 to the price of the winter tires, plus installation and balancing.

Proably end of switching the tires over from the factory wheels.

Don't forget that if they are not mounted on steel wheels, you will pay around $200.00 a year to swap them on and off in the spring and fall... that adds up quick.

hadookin
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

Don't forget that if they are not mounted on steel wheels, you will pay around $200.00 a year to swap them on and off in the spring and fall... that adds up quick.

Canadian tire will do it for $84, Wal-mart will do it for $66. those prices include balancing.

fivesn6s
09-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I think Costco has some decent prices on Winter tires

tirebob
09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by hadookin

Canadian tire will do it for $84, Wal-mart will do it for $66. those prices include balancing. You have picked 2 of the most lowball unskilled places you can go with those 2 companies but even still, those prices must be multiplied by 2 (once in the spring and once in the fall) plus tax and every time you take a tire on and off a wheel (especially with those companies ideas of tire equipment) you risk bead tears etc which mean you might end up having to replace a tire...

If you are only going to have the car for a year or so you are right, but if you keep the car for more than a couple seasons, the wheels more than pay for themselves.

hadookin
09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
You have picked 2 of the most lowball unskilled places you can go with those 2 companies but even still, those prices must be multiplied by 2 (once in the spring and once in the fall) plus tax and every time you take a tire on and off a wheel (especially with those companies ideas of tire equipment) you risk bead tears etc which mean you might end up having to replace a tire...

If you are only going to have the car for a year or so you are right, but if you keep the car for more than a couple seasons, the wheels more than pay for themselves.

Don't worry, I get what you are saying. this is for my girlfriend who want the cheapest solution to her 'problem'. I'm trying to get her to just invest in some take offs

10-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Bob and Lorne at urban expressions set me up for my 08 si and my gf's 08 civic, with steelies and rubber. way cheaper than anyone could touch for the same package.

mad :thumbsup: to UrbanX.

gonefishing
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
on a side note when do you guys plan on swapping your summer/winter wheels? i'm gonna do mine tonight as i see snow in the forcast for this week.

Thaco
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
costco has cheap steelies, all them up, i got some 14"s for my civic a few years aback for like $25/ea