PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Been to the Film Festival?

kertejud2
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I figure for a city begging for culture, the International Film Festival should be embraced, and I've been prety happy with most of the crowds I've seen.

So far I've seen some real good ones like Man on Wire, Adventures in Power, Anvil and How to Be (encore on Wednesday, I suggest checking it out), and I've seen a few crappy ones that are just plain crap, even the artsy folk who pretend to "get the message" can't even defend them.

Anyways, anybody else gone?

buh_buh
09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Going to see Growing Op tomorrow

ZorroAMG
09-23-2008, 01:39 AM
I won't be in town til Saturday night and have my short film screening at the globe on Sunday....

Has your experience been pretty good so far? I'd love to see the CIFF grow huge, it's great for the canadian industry.

kertejud2
09-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Has your experience been pretty good so far? I'd love to see the CIFF grow huge, it's great for the canadian industry.

Its definitely been good. Aside from my disappointing Sunday where I wanted to walk out on both movies, we've chosen winners to see every other night. Hopefully our run continues.

I'd love to see it grow as well, the crowds have been good so far (I have a feeling I'll have trouble seeing Gonzo if I'm not there early), if it keeps up we could start seeing even bigger movies come. My biggest fear is that they turn our "theatre district" into more restaurants and condos.

And the more local stuff the show the better. I'm sort of pissed they didn't get to show Passchendaele despite the fact it was filmed in Southern Alberta, using the Calgary Highlanders as extras, with the start of the film taking place here. But nevertheless, I'm happy with what I've seen.

malcolmk14
09-23-2008, 08:22 AM
I saw the screening of Breakfast at Tiffany's last night with a date and really enjoyed it.

I'm seeing Appaloosa tonight and Zack and Miri tomorrow. Hopefully they're just as enjoyable.

HyperZell
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Going to check out Zack and Miri on Wednesday...we'll see how it goes.

ZorroAMG
09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2

And the more local stuff the show the better. I'm sort of pissed they didn't get to show Passchendaele despite the fact it was filmed in Southern Alberta, using the Calgary Highlanders as extras, with the start of the film taking place here. But nevertheless, I'm happy with what I've seen.

Thanks for supporting the FF guys! Yeah Passchendaele should have screened here, I auditioned for it, have a few friends in it and it would have been great to see the premiere here. Too big of a film and as far as the circuit goes, the big ones like Cannes, Sundance, etc won't allow you to screen a movie anywhere else before their festival, that restricts a lot of movies that end up at CIFF.

Godfuader
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
A co-worker said that The Midnight Meat Train was one of the scariest movies he has seen in a long time.