PDA

View Full Version : LF: Microsoft windows software

Calgaryrocky
09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I am looking for Microsoft Windows Software. I need to format my hard drive and re-install windows but I can't find my windows CD. I went to a few stores to buy a new copy but the cheapest I could find is $140.

If anyone has windows xp or vista or anything, please let me know the software version and price. (with a key of course)

Otherwise if anyone knows why Windows would work fine but no apps...like Windows media player or internet explorer work..please let me know.

PM or email [email protected]

Greek Wizard
09-23-2008, 01:00 PM
If you have a CD key sticker on the side of the computer, then you already have your license, and all you need is the same media (OEM, Dell, HP, etc)

Really not that hard to find.

Calgaryrocky
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I looked on the computer, there is no key or stickers.

The computer was built by someone when I lived in Cali, not bought in a store so I'm not sure where all the cd's and stuff are.

I was kind of hoping re-installing a newer version of windows would do the trick, does anyone know if that will work?

paulj
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Probably not..sounds like a virus and/or spyware.

Try scanning with TrendMicro's HouseCall on line scanner and see what it comes up with.

Boat
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
alright so download magic jelly bean, you can extract your cd key from there, download an XP image (.iso) probably service pack 2, but if its old maybe SP1. Once you put the cd key on there it should work to install. After installation it will ask you to activate. Activation MAY or may not work online. If it doesnt do it over the phone (touchtone phone) it will take like 5 mins. IF THAT doesnt work then they will transfer you to someone at microsoft. At this point if they ask you to give them the serial code on your CD, your fucked. but last time they didnt ask me... (maybe the representative was lazy? he didnt ask for any of my info) he just gave me an activation code.

sorry for the long read... hope this works baller

trliniar
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
yah i had to call in a couple of times as well for my activation key.. basically even if you have the original CD of windows XP, once youve activated it 3 times online the 4th time you try to activate it, you will have to call in.... that is because microsoft thinks you are installing it on multiple PC's.
if they ask how many PC's you have it installed on just say 1 and be like, last time i formatted it was fine with activation online, and now its not working, this is so frustrating. act mad, they will explain to you what i just wrote above and give you a key. you have to be at the enter the activation key page when your calling in....

(PS: writing down the key that they give you over the phone thinking it will work next time you format doesn't work either.. lol... you will have to call in EVERY TIME..i know i have to and i have the original cd.... thats a piss off)

kakala
09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
get an OEM version, the trick thing is you have to find all the driver for your hardwares

Calgaryrocky
09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the help guys...I've got some time this weekend so I will try a couple of things.

Grogador
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow, what a glorious pain in the ass, glad the Corp with VLKs don't need activation. They sure make it user-friendly for all you damn thieving criminals, eh?

Try to get a WinXP CD with SP3 streamlined, it'll save you a lot of hassle updating and keep you from getting hacked during the first couple hours... being behind a router helps tho. Once you're all installed, updated, activated, maybe add Office and some useful apps, get Norton Ghost and make an image. Takes 10mins to restore and no activation issues, assuming you don't change hardware.

slick2404
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
bumping an old thread...

if i download a copy of WinXP with SP3....can I use the serial # off the bottom on my laptop to activate it? From the looks of it, I have WinXP Pro SP2 installed already.

kakala
11-20-2008, 01:27 AM
you need to find a xp home, since most of lappies only installed with home edition

adam c
11-20-2008, 01:33 AM
sp3 has different keys because microsoft ran out of activation keys, go for a sp2 and then do updates to sp3