PDA

View Full Version : Integra vs Grand AM winter beater

2.2vtec
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm stuck between the following two cars as a winter beater:

1. 94 automatic 4 door integra, 160km, the usual honda rust and some paint flaking off the front bumper. Has all options including sunroof. Needs windshield $2200 firm

2.2000 grand am se. V6 engine no rust 180k

$3,000 obo

Which would be a better car for winter? I like the grand am cause its newer and no rust but will it be as reliable as the integra?

Thaco
09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Grand ams have problems with the LIM gasket, ask the seller if this has been replaced already

5G_celica
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
well depends if you're gonna sell after the winter.

may be a bit easier to sell the integra in the summer.

but I think I would chose the grand am since it'll be more comfortable

ekcondon
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
My '01 grand am gt handled great in the winter, no problems, and 5G_celica is right, probably would be more comfortable for the winter. Along with the LIM Gasket, ask if the car has had all it's recalls completed. There is an annoying signal light issue that will drive you nuts!

Kloubek
09-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I believe that all grand ams had traction control did they not? If that is the case, you might want to consider that instead.

But overall, I don't think you're going to notice a hell of a lot of difference. Just make sure you have good tires.

2.2vtec
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
well depends if you're gonna sell after the winter.

may be a bit easier to sell the integra in the summer.

but I think I would chose the grand am since it'll be more comfortable

Yes planning to sell after winter because I'm saving up for a new car come spring time.

5G_celica
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

Yes planning to sell after winter because I'm saving up for a new car come spring time.

then if you're saving up, get the 4 banger and save on gas. and a low mileage acura is easier to sell than an average milage domestic.

403ep3
09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
if comfort doesn't matter so so much, save some money and get a $500 beater.

n1zm0
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

Which would be a better car for winter? I like the grand am cause its newer and no rust but will it be as reliable as the integra?

keyword, beater.

IMO, in Calgary, you'll always lose trying to make your car look good in winter, with the exception of a subie with studded tires going up and down the icy hills of marda loop like it was an amusement park , so... who cares about rust, plus you're going to sell it after winter.

i say integra, jap heating ftw! although i've never driven an auto in winter, i rely on engine braking too much in thick snow/ice.

really you want your w/b to start, be warm/have fken defrost and be able to stop when you need it to (i.e: icy intersections)

SuperG3
09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
The integra will be a better all round car with the exception of the Automatic. Having owned a automatic integra with mods, it's slow with no torque. Handling and overall feel is ALOT more predicatable and precise. The grand am will give you good power, quietness, smoothness but the brakes and handling are mushy. If it was a manual integra, it would be my choice. I'd say the integra will give you better resale in the used market, so i'd prolly still go with the integra.

bituerbo
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
You can install an LSD trans into the integra with some ease.
2-wheel drive > 1-wheel drive in the winter

But the best buy would be the grand-am. It won't be as good on gas but it will be big and comfortable, and it's newer. If you're looking for something cheap you absolutely don't care about, $3000 is too much to pay.

whiskas
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Suppose you're trying to find a parking spot in a really packed lot and you find one but it has a shopping cart in the middle of it.

When picking a winter beater you should choose a car that you would have no issues with using to ram the shopping cart out of the way.

Unknown303
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Suppose you're trying to find a parking spot in a really packed lot and you find one but it has a shopping cart in the middle of it.

When picking a winter beater you should choose a car that you would have no issues with using to ram the shopping cart out of the way.

That i all you should be thinking when shopping for a winter beater. :thumbsup:

rc2002
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I've always made sure my winter beater is more reliable than my summer car. The worst time to have a car break down on you is in -30C weather. I have no qualms about spending that extra few hundred bucks to get a reliable car for the winter.

max_boost
09-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Integra no doubt.

Honda's FTW!

ragu
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Good winter beater
1. starts every morning
2. good tires

I would say Integra; the car won't even be clean enough to show the rust so w.e.

bosanel
09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Integra would be a nice choice, it'll be easier to sell after winter if you do consider selling it. The Pontiac would be a comfortable ride, but 180k on a grand am means something major will go soon, at least in my opinion.

I vote for integra mainly for reliablity reasons, I sure as hell wouldn't like to be stuck anywhere calling a tow truck in the middle of winter.

mowglee
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
integra
180k is too much on an 8yr old domestic

hadookin
09-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

When picking a winter beater you should choose a car that you would have no issues with using to ram the shopping cart out of the way. :rofl: :thumbsup:

metrosfinest
09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
The Grand Am is a good choice and a good price...I know its a GM but the integra has way to much KMs and more to fix if it conks out on ya grab the Grand Am but see what his bottom line is..D

badatusrnames
09-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Grand Am - it'll have traction control and abs, no?

I've driven one for winter and they aren't bad at all and I had all seasons. With proper winters it should be good.

TQ is decent in the V6 too. They aren't bad at all on gas if driven mildly.

As far as reliability is concerned, I've heard that the 3.4L is fairly dependable.

ShermanEF9
09-27-2008, 02:55 PM
for 2200 a 94 integra is a steal. it will be super easy to sell after winter, and you can probably get more then what you payed with a windshield.. just my two cents.

garyb
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by metrosfinest
The Grand Am is a good choice and a good price...I know its a GM but the integra has way to much KMs and more to fix if it conks out on ya grab the Grand Am but see what his bottom line is..D

huh? the integra has less kms....
what do you mean "more to fix"? IF anything breaks on either, we all know which one will be cheaper to get fixed.....

Casa
09-28-2008, 07:00 PM
why not just buy a 500-1000 dollar reliable winter beater?

2.2vtec
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Casa
why not just buy a 500-1000 dollar reliable winter beater?

I don't know what kind of car that will be "reliable" for 500 bucks.