PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Oil rig related, heavy trucks, etc...

TomcoPDR
09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm really curious what those hoses that goes into the hub of each wheel are for? Anybody?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2392.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_2393.jpg

spikerS
09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Some guy from the states at a truck stop told me they were so that they could monitor the weight of a load they were carrying, to make sure they don't go over weight.

I think he just made it up because it took him a moment, but i would like to know as well.

TomcoPDR
09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I was wondering the same thing. Some guy from the states at a truck stop told me they were so that they could monitor the weight of a load they were carrying, to make sure they don't go over weight.

I think he just made it up because it took him a moment, but i would like to know as well.

Well, I would guess an inflation system too... seeing full weight of that tank will weigh a lot (need more air in tires)

Just want to hear it from someone that legitimatelly knows... is Beyond the right place tho?

The Cosworth
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
not 100% sure but think it is some sort of system for when they go on muddy lease roads.

Black Gts
09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
I know that you can electronically monitor load weight.

I believe that is what those are for, because pulling a load shale or whatever out of a farmers field you need to know what you weigh, how much pressure is on each axle, in order to comply with road bans, and truck limits.

BlackArcher101
09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
My friend owns a tank truck company.

They are a remote air monitoring and control system for the tires. The operator can inflate and deflate the tires as he pleases from the cab of the truck. Not really meant to monitor weight. Helps lengthen tire life by keeping pressures stable and helps with traction in off-road areas.

Graham_A_M
09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
^ Yup. they regulate tire pressure:thumbsup:
As well as inflate or deflate tires as need be.

Senseiz
09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I thought they were rotational counters so they know when to change the tires after so many revs.

EvolutionI
09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
usually they are on garbage trucks as well, since those can go 10+ nails before getting fixed. Just on garbage trucks, you won't see them unless you are really looking for them.

Unknown303
09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Yup. they regulate tire pressure:thumbsup:
As well as inflate or deflate tires as need be.

This is right. Used to change air pressure to improve handling loaded and unloaded.

tm88
09-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
I thought they were rotational counters so they know when to change the tires after so many revs.

I am assuming that is the little clock inside the tire. Not the hoses.

DRKM
09-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by spikers

That is a tire air pressure regulator system. The system they use for montering load is the pressure measured from the air bags then they use that to indirectly measure the load.

I am a Heavy tech...

soloracer
09-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DRKM

That is a tire air pressure regulator system. The system they use for montering load is the pressure measured from the air bags then they use that to indirectly measure the load.

I am a Heavy tech...

I work for a large trucking company and this is correct. Having the ability to change tire pressures helps with traction when in poor ground conditions. The typical approach is the throw on tire chains but with these devices you could avoid having to do so. Exactly like how the Hummer can change tire pressures to gain traction.

johnboy27
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

I work for a large trucking company and this is correct. Having the ability to change tire pressures helps with traction when in poor ground conditions. The typical approach is the throw on tire chains but with these devices you could avoid having to do so. Exactly like how the Hummer can change tire pressures to gain traction.
God I would love to not have to put chains on a truck again.

civicman
09-27-2008, 03:18 AM
+ 1 on the chain hook up it bite's the big one.. Been there and done it.

johnboy27
09-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by civicman
+ 1 on the chain hook up it bite's the big one.. Been there and done it.
I have to say though, these things would not give my truck the bite it would need in mud and on ice. We drive in mud up to my fuel tanks on occasion and my truch weighs 96000 pounds.

soloracer
09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

I have to say though, these things would not give my truck the bite it would need in mud and on ice. We drive in mud up to my fuel tanks on occasion and my truch weighs 96000 pounds.

I don't know how effective they are either since our company doesn't use them. I would think that they would be a maintenance nightmare.