PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about: Nexen Winguard

5fivespeed
09-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey Beyond,

Just looking into winter tire choices at the moment, since it's right around the corner. I drive a 85' Corolla GTS (For those who don't know, a small, lightwieght RWD car).

I was looking at Nexen Winguards as my winter choice since it's more into my budget. Does anyone have experience with them in the winter? If so,

What are the upsides?

-and-

What are the downsides?

Thanks,

Ray

EM1FTW
09-24-2008, 08:47 AM
they are alright tires for the price for sure.
i belive they are studable too!

QuasarCav
09-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I ran a set for a year on my old Integra.

Pros:

60 Dollars a tire
Better than all seasons
Directional tires were so-so on the dry pavement

Cons:

Tread wore quickly
Not "Blizzak" level grip

Not bad for what you pay.

mmmatrix
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
I live in PG, BC we get winter here, I can often x country ski for 5 months out my back yard. We get winter here. I'm not an expert but I have driven many different vehicles with many different winter tires. I have never driven on hakepelitas, but outside of that many, Blizzaks, Bridgestone wt- 14, yokohamas with the walnuts, michelin artic alpine, and walmarts studded (the tread pattern before the nexen winguard). Far and away the best were the walmart tires at ice and snow. The vehicles were a variety of front wheel drive cars, 4wd SUV and trucks and the wally tires were on a 1 wheel drive 89 ford ranger without power steering. With those tires and a few sandbags I could go farther and stop shorter than most other vehicles we tested them against. Cost was $72 a tire studded and mounted taxes in. At present on our 2005 Matrix we have michelin X-ice. Should read extra-ice or bobsleds. These are by far the worst winter tires I have ever used. They are pretty good in the dry snow but on ice, slush, braking and lateral forces THEY ARE SCARY. I am considering the nexen winguard studded for the car. I too am looking for a review on them. Thanks

toastgremlin
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
A set of Winguards came with my car. They're okay (pretty much any winter tire will still be better than all-seasons) but they're not the best winter tire I've ever driven on. Don't expect to be getting Hakkapeliitta levels of grip from them, and they're a little noisy.

They seem very good for the price, though, and I don't have a problem running them.