PDA

View Full Version : Insulation

irs
09-24-2008, 07:23 AM
So does any one know what the difference between Regular r12 insulation verses Sound Proof Insulation for the interior walls.

Is the sound insulation better than just putting in regular insulation. Is there a website that does a comparison?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Masked Bandit
09-24-2008, 07:59 AM
We had R12 in our old house and "sound" insulation in the new one. I can't tell a difference. I think using sound-bar or party wall framing will make a bigger difference though.

Euro838
09-24-2008, 08:45 AM
The sound insulation "appears" to be more dense than fibreglass R12 and uses looks like basically a wood/paper composition. It is also suppose to act as a fire retardant too. It's difficult to measure in a house because you can't really do a before and after test easily. I think there's too many "leaks" in your house to have it fully be effective. i.e. if you have hollow doors, sound will pass easily through there.

irs
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I have been looking into exterior insulation and I have came across a company called JM spider Insulation.

Here is the link.

http://www.challengerinsulation.com/Spider.htm

Has anyone herd good / bad things about it?
Any personal experience with it or reviews?

Considering to use it. It is 1/3 the cost of spray foam insulation and it is about 60% more than batt insulation.