PDA

View Full Version : difference in undercoat between a factory US car and Canadian car?

pookguy88
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Just wondering, here in Canada do new cars come with some sort of undercoat that you wouldn't get if, say, you bought the exact same one in California?

Or do our dealerships up here send all new cars to a detailer to get one done before selling?

Just asking because I bought a new car in the States and want to bring it up par (so to say) with regards to winter protection of a new car here.

Thanks!

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
No additional undercoating done here. Luxury cars will have "undercoating" on them from the factory so you may not need it.

Ferio_vti
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't get undercoat at the dealer. Take it to Shine Factory for all your protective needs.

TYMSMNY
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
... or buy a Lexus. =)

depending on the car, it may already have it. If it doesn't have it.. take it to a place (like the shine factory or wherever) and get it done for a couple hundred.

What kind of car?

pookguy88
09-24-2008, 01:53 PM
it's a Nissan Xterra...

I'm not sure if I should do it or not because I've been reading online and there's some ppl who say an undercoat is bad and just traps any water/dirt after awhile. also, they say that on most new cars there are strategically placed drain holes that will get covered up when you put on an undercoat.

The place I want to goto (in Edmonton) has a rust protection package that isn't an undercoat.. maybe I should just do that.

Xtrema
09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Can ain't rust buckets it used to be. Undercoat isn't something you REALLY need anymore other than it may loser the cabin noise by a fraction, or you abuse the car off road.

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Can ain't rust buckets it used to be. Undercoat isn't something you REALLY need anymore other than it may loser the cabin noise by a fraction, or you abuse the car off road.
I've seen rust on local 03+ Nissan Xterra's, for some reason those vehicle don't stand up very well to corrosion. Be careful who you get to undercoat the vehicle. Some shops just don't care and spray it all over the place, covering bolts and fasteners which makes it impossible for techs to work on the vehicle.

pookguy88
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I've seen rust on local 03+ Nissan Xterra's, for some reason those vehicle don't stand up very well to corrosion. Be careful who you get to undercoat the vehicle. Some shops just don't care and spray it all over the place, covering bolts and fasteners which makes it impossible for techs to work on the vehicle.

where do you recommend?

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by pookguy88

where do you recommend?
I've heard good things about Hyatt Infinitis detail shop. I can't confirm if they do undercoating or not however. There is a rust protection system called Crown, they basically inject oil into the panels and drain chanels which prevents long term rusting. It's a yearly application and runs you around $100 or so. Unfortunately I'm not sure who in town does it.

Supa Dexta
10-05-2008, 09:01 AM
On my new truck (from the US) if I scrape the frame with a fingernail I get some black sludge type stuff, a very fine layer though. There isn't anything on the underside of the panels or anything else though, fender wells.. etc.. I will likely look around edmonton to throw something on it.