PDA

View Full Version : MKIV non-turbo to turbo supra

A790
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Is it hard to convert a non-turbo supra to a turbo one? There's a great looking JDM Supra in the marketplace, but it's non-turbo. Is it as simple as swapping in a turbo 2JZ?

Mibz
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.supraforums.com

Mr_ET
09-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by A790
Is it hard to convert a non-turbo supra to a turbo one? There's a great looking JDM Supra in the marketplace, but it's non-turbo. Is it as simple as swapping in a turbo 2JZ?

You would have to swap the engine and tranny, possibly the driveshaft and/or rear end.

Then you would probably need to swap out the entire engine harness and ecu, the exhaust would be different and so would the whole intake system.

I am guessing the n/a engine has a different gauge cluster than the Turbo model so that would also need to be changed and I am sure the car itself, even after the swap, would still not be as good as a stock turbo model.

Do it right the first time man, I know it's more money but it's less money than the conversion and it will be a better car.

A790
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

You would have to swap the engine and tranny, possibly the driveshaft and/or rear end.

Then you would probably need to swap out the entire engine harness and ecu, the exhaust would be different and so would the whole intake system.

I am guessing the n/a engine has a different gauge cluster than the Turbo model so that would also need to be changed and I am sure the car itself, even after the swap, would still not be as good as a stock turbo model.

Do it right the first time man, I know it's more money but it's less money than the conversion and it will be a better car.
Yea I know (about just buying a turbo first), but the NA one is here now... ;)

That's okay, Renee has a turbo coming in that I want to check out.

T78Supra1
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Turbo models have different

Tranny----Getrag are crazy expensive hard to find used and can be close to 8,000
Brakes
Diff
DriveShaft
engine Mounts
ECU
injectors.....etc.

Your looking at big bucks

and then trying to sell the car in the future will be hard....even though you will probably spend more then just buying a turbo version. Your call will always sell for less.

Sorath
09-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Wait for the turbo, it's not worth it unless u get the na version for a 1/5th of the price.

heavyD
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Wait for the turbo, it's not worth it unless u get the na version for a 1/5th of the price.

Yeah remember your N/A MR-2 that was converted to turbo. Think of that time and money x 10. If you want a turbo, always get the turbo model because even if you turbo it the car will always be considered a turbocharged N/A model and buyers (when you go to sell) will lowball you as much.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah remember your N/A MR-2 that was converted to turbo. Think of that time and money x 10. If you want a turbo, always get the turbo model because even if you turbo it the car will always be considered a turbocharged N/A model and buyers (when you go to sell) will lowball you as much.
my mr2 has always been turbo :)

heavyD
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

my mr2 has always been turbo :)

My post was directed to Cameron. I know you're far too anal to own an N/A to turbo conversion lol.

inline6turbo
09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Just hold your horses a couple more days!!

A790
09-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I know, I know. I'm just impatient, but apparently Renee has a couple of sexy cars coming in this Sunday. My pocketbook remains in waiting...

94boosted
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
It's not worth doing the swap I found that out the hard way on my Talon. I was budgeting around 3 Grand when it was all said and done it was closer to 7 :cry:

JAYMEZ
09-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Buy turbo....

GenerationX
09-27-2008, 10:37 PM
buy jaymez's

92gsr
09-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Not sure why everyone thinks you need to swap all the drivetrain. Just be like everyone else and put a turbo, manifold, bigger injectors, and engine management on the stock engine. NA-T it's very common.

JAYMEZ
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
^ And not reliable. People that buy Supras should spend the extra money to do it right , or dont do it at all.

n1zm0
09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
what about buying an Aristo motor and going that route.
I have always wondered if that is pretty much the same thing, although have no idea the differences between aristo and MKIV motors.

Mibz
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
what about buying an Aristo motor and going that route.
I have always wondered if that is pretty much the same thing, although have no idea the differences between aristo and MKIV motors. I believe the oil pump needs to be replaced as the Aristo one doesn't fit. Aside from that, I don't know but there's not much different.