PDA

View Full Version : Public School System Questions?

hampstor
09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have children in the a CBE elementary school?

I had heard things from neighbors of ours that I can't confirm with the CBE. They would not give me a straight answer when I called Trustee's number on the CBE site and gave me some press line about curriculum.

This is what i've heard:

1) No more halloween in schools, it is now 'orange and brown day'
2) No more Christmas, Easter events
4) No more learning about Ramaadan/Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year/Hanukkah etc.

Basically, they are teaching about multiculturalism by omitting ALL cultural events.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Sounds fishy.

Eleanor
09-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Ummm, my brother's in Grade 10 and they're still doing Halloween stuff. I don't think they do Christmas, but they do "Winter Celebration" or some other PC BS like that.

I don't recall ever learning about religious holidays at all to be perfectly honest :dunno:

TKRIS
09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
That's the Canadian way.

Multiculturalism is a fucking joke, and I'm shocked more people haven't realized that yet.
Schools seem to be the fucking worst. I'm forseeing some very heated parent/teacher meetings in a few years...

hampstor
Originally posted by Eleanor
Ummm, my brother's in Grade 10 and they're still doing Halloween stuff. I don't think they do Christmas, but they do "Winter Celebration" or some other PC BS like that.

I don't recall ever learning about religious holidays at all to be perfectly honest :dunno:

I went to school in the Forest Lawn area, we learned about everything... but my question was directed primarily at parents with kids in Elementary schools - the junior high/highschool view is not on my radar right now.

If the shit im hearing is true, my kids are not going to a CBE school and I sure as fuck am going to make sure my city tax dollars do not support the public school system anymore.

semograd
Sweet, sounds like France:thumbsdow

Supa Dexta
09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
orange and brown day.. bahaha

The Cosworth
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I call BS as well. My parents teach in the rockyview system (I know it isnt the same but usually one follows the other) and they are getting their halloween costumes ready.

Also I dont think halloween is seen as denominational.

badatusrnames
09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

Some people find a way...

kertejud2
09-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Well it was a pagan holiday (Celtic pagans were pretty badass).

Sadly its been bastardized in the same way Easter has been. Bonfires, animal sacrifices and sex parties is much better than going door to door for candy. Much in the same way wanting to recreate a crucifixion is much cooler than a giant bunny leaving eggs.

If I were to believe in relgion again, I would definitely go the way of my Celtic anscestors.

Canmorite
09-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
orange and brown day.. bahaha

Then brown might be interpreted as 'brown person', so they will change the name to 'Fall colors day'.

badatusrnames
09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Then brown might be interpreted as 'brown person', so they will change the name to 'Fall colors day'.

Not all cultures may observe the traditional western concept of four seasons. Naming something "Fall Colors Day" would be discriminating against their non-recognizance of fall.

Also, black people used to be called "colored" that's racist.

Melinda
09-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. The pussification of North America is at an all time high, and it fucking sucks. I don't get all these hippy "everyone loves you all the time" moms who think these "precautionary measures" will prepare their kids for the real world. I absolutely NEVER thought I would be hopping onto a PTA board, but if my kids end up going to public school, I sure as hell will be there with bells on to raise shit and make people see how badly they are crippling their children. Did you know in the states there are some schools where the kids aren't even allowed to hug each other or hold hands? That they have designated areas in the schools that are "no bully zones" where if someone is mean to you in those zones, the "bully" gets in worse trouble than if he was in a different hallway of the school? Way to teach your kids to run away from a problem! Canada is certainly not far behind the states either.

As much as I hated pretentious private schools when I was growing up, it might become more of an option for my kids when they get to that point. They have more control over the activities they can and can't do. Either that or I would contemplate *shudder* home schooling my kids. I would have to work my ass off to make sure they're socialized properly, but I don't get how a kid can be a kid in a place where they don't even allow halloween costumes, think that a decent field trip is wrapping each kid in bubble wrap and walking them to the park, and say that school is a better place without bullies. Good grief, the world is full of bullies, kids need practice on how to deal with this shit. I thought they had hit an all time low when cookie monster had a new song about cookies being a "sometimes snack" and Bert got killed off on Sesame street because they thought that the brothers gave off too much of a 'gay' vibe, but the crusading minivan mommies never cease to amaze me at how low they will go.

hampstor
09-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I call BS as well. My parents teach in the rockyview system (I know it isnt the same but usually one follows the other) and they are getting their halloween costumes ready.

Talked to a teacher who lives in my area (teaches elementary in the CBE). She said that Halloween is upto the discretion of the schools, and most schools are opting not to do halloween anymore because they don't want to offend anyone. However, some schools still do halloween - Christmas isn't done anymore. It's now 'winter season'.

Yes, whoever thought I was joking about 'orange and brown' day instead of halloween - its not a joke. It's actually done at Cambrian Heights Elementary.

What a bunch of politically correct pussies. Are there not enough of us REAL people left ??

EDIT: My wife just corrected me. haha BLACK and Orange day. :rofl:

sexualbanana
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
I remember doing nativity stories and junk in elementary. But a lot of this is crap...

THEY KILLED OFF BERT!?! Those soccer chauffering bitches!

Melinda
09-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
THEY KILLED OFF BERT!?! Those soccer chauffering bitches!
Haha yeah, get this...he was hit by a bus because he was playing in the street. That's why for a period of time it became sesame park, because playing in the street wasn't safe and it was sending the wrong message to kids. But then the ratings dropped, so somehow it became sesame street again. So apparently having two characters that 0.1% of people see as being gay (I dunno, as a kid I always just thought Bert and Ernie were brothers) is more mentally damaging to children than watching one of their favorite childhood friends get hit by a bus and die. :dunno: Seriously, these people need help.

Unknown303
09-26-2008, 07:24 AM
I've been celebrating Black and Orange day for years. Its a great holiday!! :thumbsup:

TKRIS
09-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

Haha yeah, get this...he was hit by a bus because he was playing in the street. That's why for a period of time it became sesame park, because playing in the street wasn't safe and it was sending the wrong message to kids. But then the ratings dropped, so somehow it became sesame street again. So apparently having two characters that 0.1% of people see as being gay (I dunno, as a kid I always just thought Bert and Ernie were brothers) is more mentally damaging to children than watching one of their favorite childhood friends get hit by a bus and die. :dunno: Seriously, these people need help.

I always wondered about that too. Seems too homophobic even for the religious right in the states.

"Two men living together!!!! OMFG!!!!"
"Uh, yeah, they've been "living together" on the show since 1969 you idiot."
"But people will think they're gay!!!! KILL THEM!!!!! THEY MUST ALL DIE SO THEY DON'T GAY-UP OUR KIDS!!!!!MURDER THE FAGS"

Wow.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 08:43 AM
:rofl: I've never heard why they changed it to park, that's one of the most rediculous thing I've ever heard :banghead:

But Bert was totally gay. Good thing they replaced Sesame Street with Teletubbies ;)

Quiet10
09-26-2008, 08:54 AM
NO BERT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

My fondest childhood memories were from Halloween during Elementary school and those little Christmas concerts they had every year.

When I have kids I want them to share those same memories as well, wtf is wrong with people these days. :whipped:

TKRIS
09-26-2008, 08:57 AM
^Fuck teletubbies, you should see this "In the Night Garden" show my daughter likes watching. I sit there and watch it with her after work, because it confuses and confounds me.
You don't know fucking weird until you see a bunch of Igglepiggle mother fuckers dancing around yelling "Pip pip onk onk".

Trippy.

hampstor
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Quiet10
NO BERT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

My fondest childhood memories were from Halloween during Elementary school and those little Christmas concerts they had every year.

When I have kids I want them to share those same memories as well, wtf is wrong with people these days. :whipped:

That's the same thoughts I had (yes about bert too :rofl: )

Here is what's wrong:

(Yes I made up these #'s, but you'll get the picture)

10% of people who don't like something, will be vocal about it
80% of the people won't like it. They will do nothing but bitch and complain to each other but take no action
10% of the people are ignorant fucks and don't care. :)

Melinda
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
^Fuck teletubbies, you should see this "In the Night Garden" show my daughter likes watching. I sit there and watch it with her after work, because it confuses and confounds me.
You don't know fucking weird until you see a bunch of Igglepiggle mother fuckers dancing around yelling "Pip pip onk onk".

Trippy.
I HAVE to ask, how on earth do shows like that and teletubbies teach kids anything??? Random noises and trippy floaty dancing? Seriously?

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
EDIT: In response to TKRIS

Oh I know, a lot of the shows for kids now are atrocious. They don't really teach anything. All they have is pretty colours and fucking random weird noises. There's little to no substance in a lot of them.

But at least it's not gay :rofl:

EDIT 2: Damn, Melinda beat me to the punch, haha

momofan
09-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I thought when I watched teletubbies for the first time someone drugged me as they seem to do everything twice. It was horrible when my son wanted a dipsy backpack.

My kids school haven't had Halloween in about 8 years. That is both Elementary and Jr High.

They have winter celebrations not Christmas.

I think the celebrations offend some families.

TKRIS
09-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I can see how it teaches kids shit. Motor skills, getting them to be more talkative, friendly interactions, etc. Mostly rudamentary motor and social functions. I just don't know why they have to say "Pip pip onk onk" instead of goodbye. Seems like you could say "goodbye" and teach them that too, but what the fuck do I know.

Originally posted by momofan

And I think those families can feel free take their delicate widdle feewings and shove them up their asses. Might have to take the stick out first to make room, but I'm sure with some clever stacking, they'll find room...

Melinda
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by momofan
Brings me back to my ever redundant argument that we are canadian. When I was little, every canadian little friend of mine dressed up and trick or treated, no matter what color they were or culture their ancestors came from. There's nothing religious about carving a pumpkin, eating a rocket pop or dressing up as cinderella for a day, at least there doesn't need to be. Halloween was one of the best days of the year when I was a kid, and a fun excuse to hang out with your friends for the day instead of getting really hardcore into math and science.

And regardless of how hardcore someone is with their religion, NO ONE IS FORCING these kids to participate in halloween. If parents don't like halloween, send your kids to school in regular clothes. It's not like october 31st involves every kid showing up in full witch/wardrobe costume and sacrificing animal carcasses in a school assembly or something. Give me a break :rolleyes:

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
It's not like october 31st involves every kid showing up in full witch/wardrobe costume and sacrificing animal carcasses in a school assembly or something.
You obviously haven't been in public school for awhile. They also encourage kids to be gay and force underage kids to have sex by giving them vaccinations.

;)

momofan
09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Well same here, when I went t school we did thing the Canadian way. Devil's night, Halloween with masks, Christmas, Easter all that fun stuff.

Like Day of the Dead in Mexico wouldn't scare the pants off us.

Us Canadians give into everything though. Catholic schools aren't even letting the Catholic girls be vaccinated for the HPV virus. Cause you know...Catholic School girls ahh that takes me back....:drool: are all innocent and follow the bible.

topmade
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I think this is up to the schools. I have a girl in grade 1 this year, and last year I recall getting a letter that the school won't be celebrating certain holidays.

lint
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

I went to school in the Forest Lawn area, we learned about everything... but my question was directed primarily at parents with kids in Elementary schools - the junior high/highschool view is not on my radar right now.

If the shit im hearing is true, my kids are not going to a CBE school and I sure as fuck am going to make sure my city tax dollars do not support the public school system anymore.

so where do you plan to send them? catholic system? private schools? home schooling?

Melinda
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by lint

so where do you plan to send them? catholic system? private schools? home schooling?
Why not? They're all viable options. :dunno:

Masked Bandit
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
To the OP....

It will all depend on the particular school. There won't be any hard rules from downtown which is probably why you couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. "Downtown" will give out general ideas and suggestions and then it's up to each Pricipal to decide what they want to do at their school. My wife is a teacher for the CBE (K-6) and she has been at three different schools in the past five years and it was almost like working for three different employers.

hampstor
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM

I haven't decided yet, he's still a few years off from going to school. I'm seeing the state of the how things are right now it has really struck a nerve in me. At the rate things are, for all I know by the time he goes to school everyone will be wearing masks so no one knows what race someone else is :rofl:

Who knows, I may even end up a PTA to see if I can change things.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Catholic school is a viable option? :confused:

Melinda
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Catholic school is a viable option? :confused:
Well I guess not for everyone. I think one of the kid's parents needs to be a baptized catholic for their kids to go there, so for our family, it isn't an option. For a lot of families it is though. Private schooling and home schooling are though.

TKRIS
09-26-2008, 01:08 PM

Well I guess not for everyone. I think one of the kid's parents needs to be a baptized catholic for their kids to go there, so for our family, it isn't an option. For a lot of families it is though.

Hey! I'm baptized!
Catholic PTA, here I come!!!

Canmorite
09-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Hey! I'm baptized!

Go shake them up a bit. That'd be awesome.

topmade
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Well I guess not for everyone. I think one of the kid's parents needs to be a baptized catholic for their kids to go there, so for our family, it isn't an option. For a lot of families it is though. Private schooling and home schooling are though.
No, the last time I checked was last year, and they said that neither of us had to be baptized, but priority goes to baptized families and we would be put on a waiting of like 2 years. So if there was room, they would let us in.

So if there are catholic schools around you that you would prefer to go to, you can either get baptized, or put your kids on the waiting list when they are one or two years old.

lint
09-26-2008, 01:23 PM

How would these other options address the reason why he doesn't want to support the CBE? Will the catholic school board be any different when it comes to being PC, will they be for or against halloween, chinese new year, other ethnic holidays and celebrations? Private schools would run into the same issues, it would depend on what the parents want their kids to be presented, so again, you may not the get good old days there either.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 01:27 PM
For a minute I thought you were considering it for your kid, and judging by what I've seen you post before, it was shocking :D

Hey! I'm baptized!
You and me both :thumbsup: (Although I guess I'd need kids first :( )

Melinda
09-26-2008, 01:34 PM

How would these other options address the reason why he doesn't want to support the CBE? Will the catholic school board be any different when it comes to being PC, will they be for or against halloween, chinese new year, other ethnic holidays and celebrations? Private schools would run into the same issues, it would depend on what the parents want their kids to be presented, so again, you may not the get good old days there either.
Well I agree with you on the catholic one...they might even be a little more jaded in a lot of ways, although I know the kids in catholic schools do study all religions to some extent, not just catholism. Plus we're an an athiest/agnostic family, so it wouldn't make much sense for us.

But private schools cater to a much smaller group of people than the CBE does. The CBE has a TON more families to listen to, pander to, enable children to "fit in", especially because kids HAVE TO be able to go to those schools and feel like their personal beliefs and comforts are catered to, whereas private schools have more ability to say "like it or leave it" because they have no obligation to anyone about NEEDING to allow children in. Parents can choose a private school based on some of that reasoning instead of the "everyone is welcome, just check your personality at the door" mantra that the CBE seems to have adopted.

hampstor
09-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Hey! I'm baptized!

Wicked! We need more people who can stir the pot :)

1) You stir the pot in Catholic PTA
2) I stir the pot at Public School PTA
3) ???????
4) Profit. ;)

On a side note, I know Catholic schools do not do halloween - however I'm fairly sure they do Christmas. :rofl:

TKRIS
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
^Really?
I went to Catholic school (as if that wasn't obvious) and we always did a Halloween party/parade thing.

Stuff like this depresses me. I'm not old enough to have had things change this drastically since I was a kid. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about how a lot of the stuff we used to take for granted, and that we used to do all the time would probably result in social services taking us away and our parents being thrown in prison now a days, and it's fucking sad.

Kids can't do anything these days. It's no wonder they're all fucked up and confused, they're 17 years old and they haven't been able to live yet.

mazdavirgin
09-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Catholic school board celebrates Chinese new year, halloween, christmas, easter, etc... Hell they even talk about ramadan and hanukkah. I should know my mother is a teacher in the CBE. :\

PS: Catholics have always celebrated Halloween it is just the protestants that object to it since in Catholic tradition it is known as All Saints Day which is a celebration of dead saints. The kids dress up and don't get candy at school is the only difference. Giving out candy is now frowned upon due to the current health kick the provincial government is trying to enforce.