PDA

View Full Version : Turbos VS Superchargers

jeremyn
09-25-2008, 10:13 PM
So I'm doing a little project for school, and want to hear some opinions on which people prefer and why.
Any contributions appreciated.

BenC
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
what engine first of all?

Kloubek
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Generally speaking, a turbo will produce more extra power than a supercharger.

Superchargers are easier to install, and will likely last longer. They have that cool spooling sound, but don't have the much-desired "swooooosh" effect of the blowoff valve most of the ricers like.

mark4091
09-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Like anything they have pros and cons. It also depends on the amount of time you have, the engine, personal preference ect.

jeremyn
09-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by BenC
what engine first of all?

just your general preference.
some people love turbos some would rather a supercharger, just wondering why.

BenC
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
for me it depends on the engine
i love the turbo inline 6's like the 7m.
and i also loved a supercharged lsx

but my h4 turbo ej20 isnt too shabby

D_flore
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Ball Bearing turbos. little lag fun to drive

Tik-Tok
09-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Turbo's for 4's and 6's

Super's for 8's.

Why? Because it gets tough to turbo an 8, and real expensive as well.

phrozen
09-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Turbo= Heat +Lots of power.

Supercharger= Less heat + Mid Range to High amounts of power.

Turbo kits usually cost more, but we need to know the
engine you have.

EK 2.0
09-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

They have that cool spooling sound, but don't have the much-desired "swooooosh" effect of the blowoff valve most of the ricers like.

Yes they can...

obliterate8
09-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Yes they can...
Really? Could you provide an example?
I don't think you can get the "swoosh" unless you get a twin charge kit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4wSYrKAJE
You can get a bypass valve but it chirps rather than swoosh.

I'm a supercharger fan because I like the sound of a roots blower and the instant boost.

kylejw
09-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Big turbo+low compression+high boost = Good mileage until you hit the higher rpms and spool, so good mileage commuting, then power when you need (want) it.

Just my take.

Supa Dexta
09-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Turbo's for 4's and 6's

Super's for 8's.

Why? Because it gets tough to turbo an 8, and real expensive as well.

I was looking the super charger kit for my truck is like 6500.. :nut: will hold off on that for now.

EK 2.0
09-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by obliterate8

I don't have an example...but I have seen and heard set-ups with various Bypass Valves or "Blow-off Valves"...And to a major extent whatever vavle you choose it will sound the same on a turbo set-up and a S/C set-up...

Freebs
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
It does all depend on what your after as far as power goals and streetability (track only car vs daily driver)

But in just a general sense I would say superchargers for the smaller engines that are lacking a bit of the lower end power.
And for the bigger engines where you have HUGE low end power you’re not going to need a supercharger and so I would say turbos would make more sense here just for the fact that in a lot of cases cars with such big low end will just spin with any more power down low so you might as well make the power where you can use it...

That being said there are cases where I would still do the absolute opposite of what I just said.

tsi_neal
09-26-2008, 08:45 AM
My take on things is it depends on what your using the car for will decide what you run not what motor you have... Why put a S/C on a V8 just cause all the good ole boys have used em for years, a turbo wont cost any different and give you just as much if not more power. And why not S/C a little 4cyl, low end torque is what these things are lacking anyways. But everyone has the mentality of turbo a small motor and S/C a big one...

I like turbos myself, i dont think they are better but i like the surge of power when the car gets on boost.

I don't think you can get the "swoosh" unless you get a twin charge kit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4wSYrKAJE
You can get a bypass valve but it chirps rather than swoosh.

I'm a supercharger fan because I like the sound of a roots blower and the instant boost.

plenty of centrifugal S/C setups run a blow off or bypass valve giving the "swoosh" noise.

BigBadVlad
09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Prefer Turbo.

The swoosh sound you guys are talking about with a supercharger is more of what I would call a whine that comes from the belts/pulleys, I think. Yes it sound cool in a different way from a turbo.

What someone else said, Turbo for 4 and 6 pots, super for an 8. That said seeing and hearing some of those drag V8 turbo mustangs are pretty cool.

Eleanor
09-26-2008, 08:55 AM
:rofl: @ this whole damn thread.

For whoever was wondering if you can put a BOV on a supercharger:

bRER9lti4NA

n1zm0
09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Having driven both types almost daily (SR and 4AGZE), i would say they have their own goods and bads depending on your driving mood for the day.

Screw around with a knob and a couple buttons, turbo can be that much more fun, with the S/C, get a pulley kit and it will sit there fat dumb and happy 365-24/7 no matter how much faster you wish it was :D

the S/C Levin i drive has one :thumbsup:

p.s: lol are you writing a school essay on turbos and s/c? :nut:

quincyb11
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Turbo's have more lag than superchargers, although less expensive and little bit more complicated to install than superchargers. Superchargers on the other hand are less hassle to install however more costly.

jeremyn
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

p.s: lol are you writing a school essay on turbos and s/c? :nut:
Not an essay, just a short presentation.
I'm taking auto marketing at sait so all of our projects are automotive related.

imjimmylin
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
:rofl: @ this whole damn thread.

For whoever was wondering if you can put a BOV on a supercharger:

bRER9lti4NA

HAHA when the BOV blows in his face :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

alloroc
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/224134/wastegate-on-a-centrifugal-blower-interesting/

Freebs
09-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by jeremyn

Not an essay, just a short presentation.
I'm taking auto marketing at sait so all of our projects are automotive related.

ahah are you in first year by any chance...?

jeremyn
09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

ahah are you in first year by any chance...?

yup, you? if so i probably see you everyday but dont know who you are lol

Freebs
09-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by jeremyn

yup, you? if so i probably see you everyday but dont know who you are lol

ahah yea... Its josh.. is this Jeremy.. Guy with the long board thing? Lol guess I know what your project is going to be about tomorrow..