PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where i can buy a truffle in calgary?

hks
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
i want to make my own truffle butter, but i don't even have the fainest clue as to where i can possibly obtain a truffle.
please and thank you

dannie
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I saw them at Bite, in Inglewood. I am not sure how regularly they carry them though. I had a peek on chowhound to see if there was anywhere else and I came across this:

"You can't buy fresh truffles in Canada. There are regulations against selling them since they really can't be imported due to the type of documentation an importer would require. This is simply not worth the time of most companies abroad, since they are high in demand elsewhere without the extra work. The shelf life is really about 3-4 days before the aroma begins to dissipate. Although, apparently you can bring them in for yourself - just not for resale. They can be in jars only - due to government regulations. hmmm maybe from Oregon"

I am not sure how true it is, but seeing as its so hard to find them; I am thinking there is some truth to it.

Would it be difficult to use truffle oil in the butter instead of a truffle?

hks
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by dannie

Would it be difficult to use truffle oil in the butter instead of a truffle?

i did a search a beyond and a member said that he couldn't distinguish the taste between the real stuff and the oil. i suppose i could use truffle oil. any idea where i can get the oil? i'm guessing sunterra or something.

dannie
09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah... Sunterra, Bite, Mercato. Any of the higher end grocers carry it. Just make sure you get a good oil. I bought a truffle oil from mercato a month or so ago (we put a tiny bit on plain popcorn, so good) and it cost 25 bucks for the tiny container. It has a blue label on it. I really enjoy that one. The cheaper ones don't have near as good of flavor.

em2ab
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I was at a place on Wall Street that had a $30 hamburger and it was $150 if you wanted the shaved truffles on it. It used to be $130 but another place had raised their prices and they wanted to reclaim top spot of most expensive burger in the area.

momofan
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I think I have seen truffle oil right at sobey's.

em2ab
09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by momofan
I think I have seen it right at sobey's.

You wont' find a specialty item like a truffle at Sobey's. I'd be surprised to see them in Calgary or Alberta.

momofan
09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
that was truffle oil....I think I have seen truffle oil at sobeys

USED1
09-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Lina's on Centre St. has the jars of truffle oil right by the till.

momofan
10-05-2008, 01:22 PM
truffle oil at Sobey's is 11.99 or 12.99 I can't remember it's by the vinegar and oils at the Royal Oak location.

You can get either white or black truffle oil.

E36M3
10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Although you won't find fresh truffle in Calgary (at least the last time I made a serious effort), as others have said, truffle oil is a great substitute. Since a very little amount goes a long way, that is the way I would go.

Truffles are grown in Canada, and you can buy them, and if you are serious about it, you can contact these guys:

http://www.bctruffles.org/index.html

I'd assume that they'd sell them at Farmers markets, etc. in Vancouver or on the Island.. maybe I will go and check tomorrow.. it would be fun to cook with some fresh truffle.

E36M3
10-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Actually, I found a place that will import european/american truffles as well as source Canadian ones. It is pretty prohibitive cost wise (starting around $2500/kq), but here you go:

http://www.oyamagardens.com/default.aspx?PageID=1003

Will@STRD
10-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Actually, I found a place that will import european/american truffles as well as source Canadian ones. It is pretty prohibitive cost wise (starting around $2500/kq), but here you go:

http://www.oyamagardens.com/default.aspx?PageID=1003

That's a nice found!! I been using truffle oil and now I can have the real thing!! now can someone tell me where to get foie gras?
Thanks

E36M3
10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I'd be happy to hook you up if you have something specific in mind.. PM me and I will give you some details, but a friend of mine brings it in for his restaurant so I can get him to order some extra.

Originally posted by Will@STRD

That's a nice found!! I been using truffle oil and now I can have the real thing!! now can someone tell me where to get foie gras?
Thanks

Will@STRD
10-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I'd be happy to hook you up if you have something specific in mind.. PM me and I will give you some details, but a friend of mine brings it in for his restaurant so I can get him to order some extra.

Thanks man i m PM u now

Gondi Stylez
10-09-2008, 04:02 PM
For foie if E36M3 guy falls through PM me as I get it from my butcher for my caterings etc.

flipstah
10-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry to interrupt but I've never had truffles before.

I'm curious as to what I'm missing out. Is there a great place in Calgary that offers truffle as a topping or incorporates it in their dishes?

Seems pricey so I would like the best bang for the buck.

JRSC00LUDE
10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Pigs are good at rooting out truffles, perhaps you can pm CK4500 and see if he'll loan you his old lady for an afternoon so you can take her out into the woods to sniff around.

calgarys_finest
10-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Pigs are good at rooting out truffles, perhaps you can pm CK4500 and see if he'll loan you his old lady for an afternoon so you can take her out into the woods to sniff around.

let the pay back begin? I have had truffles on a few occasions and they didnt seem worth the price that they add to the plate. Alot of people think the oppisite worth a try though.

Mibz
10-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I hear they just taste like most other mushrooms to the undiscerning tongue but I always see them being used on Iron Chef and people freak the fuck out over them. Maybe I'll pick up some oil and try it out.

EDIT: From that BC Truffle Association

I do remember that every time I took another sniff, new comparisons came to mind . . . barnyard, cow's milk, socks, musty red wine, pungent cheese, rich earth! Hey don't sound good, but the odour sure was. My mouth salivates and my wallet quiversAre you serious?