PDA

View Full Version : Dealers busted drag racing pre-delivery GT-Rs

rmk
09-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Taken from another forum.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/gsr_ryan/dealerdrag-002-1.jpg

Could this be true? A pair of brand new pre-delivery GT-Rs at the Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI, USA on the weekend. These cars were still completely covered in interior plastics and are said to have arrived to the drag strip wearing dealer tags.

If it is, surely these can’t be sold to unassuming customers as brand new cars!?
Be careful if you’re buying one of these in Southeastern WI or Northern Illinois/Chicago areas. You will want to verify the delivery mileage as well as general tire condition and so forth.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/gsr_ryan/dealerdrag-003-1.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/gsr_ryan/IMG_8752900.jpg

The Cosworth
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
well if your going to get fired.....

black13
09-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice, those are gonna need a tranny replacement as soon as the customer gets them. Hope warranty covers that.

avow
09-27-2008, 02:20 AM
that really makes no sense at all to be totally honest :S

Gabe182
09-27-2008, 02:33 AM
what doesn't make sense?

DonJuan
09-27-2008, 08:55 AM
LOL, douchebags.

The guy is looking at his timeslip like "hmm, I wonder how I can improve the 60ft time on my... errrr... customers car"

inline6turbo
09-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Haha, gradstrip in a corn field. Love it.

Oh yea, sexy cars, they'll call it product testing for quality assurance haha :nut:

pinoyhero
09-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Whoa, WTF, that's brutal, Nissan should be killing those guys.

dino_martini
09-27-2008, 09:48 AM
One of those guys said that the owner was on hand when they were doing that with one of the cars. Weather that is true or not, that still leaves the other GTR.

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Hard to say what was really going on, if they really wanted to be low key they wouldnt go to the drag strip during the day.

HiTempguy1
09-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Nice, those are gonna need a tranny replacement as soon as the customer gets them. Hope warranty covers that.

I'm sorry, but have you read ANYTHING about these cars? They have a launch control feature that virtually garauntees a corrected high 11 quarter mile time. The car launches at something like 3000rpm, spins the rear tires for 10 feet and goes. There is no abuse (except for the normal wear and tear associated with drag racing) being put on these cars that they were not designed for.

However, the consequences of revving the snot out of a motor (DEPENDING on your point of view) that hasn't been broken in is a little shitty. Some would argue that with the tolerances new motors are built with these days that break in isn't really neccessary but I would disagree. I personally wouldn't buy it because it obviously isn't new (if I was looking to buy a new GTR). That would go for any new vehicle though :nut:

Edit-

Last night at Castrol there was a GTR. Guy ran 12.5. He didn't use the launch control (my buddies Civic got him out of the hole :rofl: ) and I believe it may have been his first time to the track.

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm sorry, but have you read ANYTHING about these cars? They have a launch control feature that virtually garauntees a corrected high 11 quarter mile time. The car launches at something like 3000rpm, spins the rear tires for 10 feet and goes. There is no abuse (except for the normal wear and tear associated with drag racing) being put on these cars that they were not designed for.

Thats why he made the comment, the launch control grenades the tranny.

The Cosworth
09-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

However, the consequences of revving the snot out of a motor (DEPENDING on your point of view) that hasn't been broken in is a little shitty. Some would argue that with the tolerances new motors are built with these days that break in isn't really neccessary but I would disagree. I personally wouldn't buy it because it obviously isn't new (if I was looking to buy a new GTR). That would go for any new vehicle though :nut:

Edit-

Last night at Castrol there was a GTR. Guy ran 12.5. He didn't use the launch control (my buddies Civic got him out of the hole :rofl: ) and I believe it may have been his first time to the track.

There is a whole thread on here that talks about after 10 launches WITH THE LAUNCH CONTROL the tranny needs to be inspected and possibly replaced.

962 kid
09-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

There is a whole thread on here that talks about after 10 launches WITH THE LAUNCH CONTROL the tranny needs to be inspected and possibly replaced.

:werd: has he read ANYTHING about those cars?

DonJuan
09-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

:werd: has he read ANYTHING about those cars?

LOL! Maybe he should take up smoking to stop his neighbour from barbecueing.

(I also hadn't heard that about the launch control)

Tuner1
09-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Yikes!...Although these guys deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt until the true story surfaces.

Rob

HiTempguy1
09-27-2008, 04:25 PM

I completely missed that thread. Guess I don't know anything about the car :( I'll go to my corner now... ;)

In all honesty, until the mentioning of it here I have not heard a single peep about tranny issues with the GTR's. And I like to read up on the latest and greatest. Sorry for the undeserved chewing.

2.0turbo
09-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth

I highly doubt that is true. Even a dsm with twice the hps it was built for can withstand more launches than that on a stock tranny. There is no way that 10 launches takes out the tranny in a GTR.

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo

I highly doubt that is true. Even a dsm with twice the hps it was built for can withstand more launches than that on a stock tranny. There is no way that 10 launches takes out the tranny in a GTR.
It wasn't 10 is was 15.

962 kid
09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/360385-backing-up-tms-on-this-one-about-the-gtr

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23260

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/4464/the-flawless-gt-r-has-a-fault/

on top of that, using it voids your warranty

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=17628

tabouli
09-27-2008, 05:39 PM
What a joke! I'm busting out my pitchfork and torch on this one. I've seen first-hand local dealers handle the new GTR irresponsibly too. That's what you get when you let monkey's touch nice cars.

Fusion
09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Replace a new tranny hahahahahaha? i didnt know GTR made in China Hahahaha

MikeAg
09-29-2008, 08:55 AM
owners are going to be pissed

hypnotoad
09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
These are car salesman people, what do you expect?

em2ab
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
LOL! Maybe he should take up smoking to stop his neighbour from barbecueing.

Nice try but wrong guy.

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
One of those guys said that the owner was on hand when they were doing that with one of the cars. Weather that is true or not, that still leaves the other GTR.
I highly doubt that would be true.

"Hey man, I just met you a little while ago, but can I take your brand new car out to the dragstrip before you even get to sit in it?"

I call BS

em2ab
09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

I highly doubt that would be true.

"Hey man, I just met you a little while ago, but can I take your brand new car out to the dragstrip before you even get to sit in it?"

I call BS

It's common for high end cars. When you buy something top end like an Enzo, the dealer will usually take you out while you sit in the passenger seat and show you how the paddle shifters work, how to change the different modes.........they know some rich yuppie isn't going to read the manual. So they could even take you out to the track and show you how to use the launch control but I'd doubt it happening before the engine getting broken in.

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 10:10 AM
^ I don't think you can compare a Datsun to an Enzo.

Also I don't doubt that the dealer will take you out, but they're not going to drive the piss out of it with you in the stands.

Inzane
09-29-2008, 10:20 AM
^ I don't think you can compare a Datsun to an Enzo.

^^ What is it with people using the Datsun name like that? Is that supposed to be some kind of condescending insult towards Nissan and their owners? :dunno:

Nissan has always been Nissan. Datsun was just a name used for the brand in North America, up until 1983.

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
It's a TG joke. Judging by your avatar, you should know that ;) :D

Clarkson always calls them Datsuns.

Inzane
09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
It's a TG joke. Judging by your avatar, you should know that ;) :D

Clarkson always calls them Datsuns.

D'oh. You're right. Almost forgot about that. :rofl:

I suppose if I ever had the chance to actually meet him in person, I'd have to bring that point up with him. :D

revelations
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Can you imagine taking your GTR in for a checkup and the dealer downloads your ECU and sees that youve supposedly "launched" 5x already..... even though JUST bought the car brand new???? oops!

cloud7
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
all part of the Pre-delivery Inspection at Nissan:thumbsdow

DonJuan
09-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Nice try but wrong guy.

Lol, I know. :D

adam c
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
if racing voids your warranty then why would they have a launch control

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
^ to get them out of transmission replacements?

mboldt
10-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by adam c
if racing voids your warranty then why would they have a launch control

They've got to make money off you some ridiculous way.

So much shit talk about the GT-R and Nissan now hahaha it's unbelievable.

Altezza
10-08-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm sure this happens with a lot of cars and we just don't hear about it. For instance, when the TSX first came out, I noticed about 5-10 of them at NWA all with the typical signs of track use (abuse?). When I jokingly enquired as to when they took them to the track, they all looked at me and said "never, why would we do that? Those are for customer delivery." On my way out, I did notice a large number of them with SOLD in the rearview.

7thgenvic
10-08-2008, 04:12 AM
mehhh. there really isn't a story other then some stupid pictures. I love how everyone over reacts on beyond. LIKE WOW IF THAT WAS MY CAR I WOULD BE SO PISSED! :dunno:

Aleks
10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
This car is getting some bad press lately. :rofl:

/////AMG
10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
yea its not the car ppl thought it would be. bet it the 'ring claim is false too lol

treg50
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Regarding the original post... holy crap, I knew Nissan had some quality control issues but this isn't even professional... they look like adults but they're doing stuff to someone's car that you'd expect of some shit hick town car-jockeys.

I wonder what became of the fucking Nissan employees that set this up... :guns:

Hakkola
10-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
yea its not the car ppl thought it would be. bet it the 'ring claim is false too lol

Dude, did you actually miss the false ring claim thread and post on the main page?

heavyD
10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Regarding the original post... holy crap, I knew Nissan had some quality control issues but this isn't even professional... they look like adults but they're doing stuff to someone's car that you'd expect of some shit hick town car-jockeys.

I wonder what became of the fucking Nissan employees that set this up... :guns:

Edmunds has a long term GTR and have had a bunch of problems not even transmission related like fuel leaks, etc. Maybe the cars were rushed out or maybe this just reaffirms that Nissan doesn't build quality vehicles no matter what level of car.