PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, Stupid Kids on Bikes.

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey Beyond,

So I was driving from the Sunridge Cineplex when I made a left turn onto the street between Sunridge Mall, and Cineplex (for those who have been there, know the road).

So I make my turn, and there's a bus stop about 30 feet from it with three guys on bikes just sitting there, they had to be about 20-22 years old, a bit punkish. So as I was accelerating after my turn, one decides to hop on the road. I brake and he's on the road. So I start driving again.

Get this, this stupid douche is riding his bike in the middle of my lane - I'm in a Nissan Murano doing about 10km/h and it's quite obvious that my car is behind you. He looked back and just kept riding. Traffic is in my next lane, so when they pass - I pulled up to this guy on his bike and said, "Hey, see the sidewalk, GET ON IT." Then continued on my way.

I guess this kid didn't like that, seeing that riding in the middle of the road is considered perfect beyond measure. As I was waiting at the light, he zipped passed me and yelled something back at me and shot off through Sunridge Mall. So what did I do? I don't know what made me do it, but I chased the bastard. Slowly however, rolling through the parking lot and seeing his two friends scrambling to my SUV at 10km/h. So, after I just turned and drove off.

I then shut my lights off, and drove through the parking lot. Caught one of them zipping down the parking lot and turned my lights on and honked, I guess they all stopped at the gas station, serves them right, I was only looking for their safety.

I don't know why these stupid kids have to be so reckless. There's a sidewalk right beside you - you're in the middle of the road and you could lose your life. I was looking out for the stupid idiot and he yelled something back at me and laughed. I just hope me and my slow chase of this idiot will teach them all to ride on the damned sidewalk. I don't know how stupid you would have to be to ride in a middle of a road. With the way Calgary is going, these kids are a perfect example of stupid.

Sorry, I had to vent.

-5fivespeed.

JRSC00LUDE
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
What kind of car has 55 gears again?

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
What kind of car has 55 gears again?

Haha, I was going for"5ivespeed" but it was too late.

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh, and if any of you three are on Beyond - learn to ride on the sidewalk.

Enhance
09-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Hey, isn't there a law about not riding bicycles on the sidewalk?

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Not that I know of, if there is - it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

"No not the sidewalk, on the road!" Haha!

badatusrnames
09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Enhance
Hey, isn't there a law about not riding bicycles on the sidewalk?

You're right. I'm not sure if it applies to under 18's or if there is an age threshold at all.

A790
09-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Cyclists are supposed to be on the road.

Enhance
09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
As per the traffic bylaw.. found here (http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/cityclerks/26m96.pdf)
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, a person shall not:
(a) drive, lead or allow a hoofed animal to walk;
(b) drive, draw or push any motor vehicle;
(c) ride a bicycle;
(d) ride a horse; or
(e) draw, push, propel or ride a wheeled vehicle of any description other than a bicycle;

on or along a sidewalk, or boulevard.

Eat it biznatch.

Anyone under the age of 14 is allowed to ride on the

badatusrnames
09-26-2008, 11:13 PM
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, a person shall not:
(a) drive, lead or allow a hoofed animal to walk;
(d) ride a horse;

on or along a sidewalk, or boulevard.

Lol at anachronistic laws. Does this mean that since my horse isn't allowed on the sidewalk, it is allowed on the road?

Eat it biznatch.
Really not necessary.

A790
09-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Eat it biznatch.

Woah.... annnnnnger.

Enhance
09-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Really not necessary.

Nono that was just part of the bylaw.

A790
09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Lol at anachronistic laws. Does this mean that since my horse isn't allowed on the sidewalk, it is allowed on the road?
Correct.

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Eat it biznatch.

[/B]

So that was you on that bike, wasn't it? That's a stupid law, to be brutally honest. A bicycle, cannot hit the proper speed limits as an automobile, I could be wrong - but I don't think a 21 year old punk kid can do this. I'd rather have them on the sidewalk where I know it's safer for himself, and the people driving on the road.

Think about it, 3000lb SUV vs. 150lb bicycle+rider.
Keep the lightwieght, on the sidewalk.

Boat
09-26-2008, 11:22 PM
yea its annoying ill give you that
but there's tonnes of stupid bylaws get over it

A790
09-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Boat
yea its annoying ill give you that
but there's tonnes of stupid bylaws get over it

:werd:

Enhance
09-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Think about what you're saying. The sidewalk is made for walking, its barely wide enough for two bikes to pass each other, let alone a group of people. Bikes are treated as vehicles and all the rules applying to cars apply to bikes as well.

em2ab
09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I hate these idiots on the road too. I'm mostly worried about making a right turn into a driveway and having them bang into my car, making a dent.

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Think about what you're saying. The sidewalk is made for walking, its barely wide enough for two bikes to pass each other, let alone a group of people. Bikes are treated as vehicles and all the rules applying to cars apply to bikes as well.

So, that means - when a bike is in front of a driver, in the middle of the road at less that 10km/h, that's considered a proper rule?
I'm just saying, that a Bike should stay where it can safely contain it's low speed, and the roadway is not one of the places. Personally, that's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while.

A sidewalk, is where a bike should be. Next thing you know, some idiots going to take their bike, on Deerfoot or something because it's the "law."

SaturnV
09-26-2008, 11:33 PM
The ones who drive me nuts are the cyclists who think they can pick and choose between being a pedestrian and a cyclist. If you want the pedestrian laws to apply to you, get off your bike and onto your feet.

Don't ride from the road into the crosswalk and expect everyone to stop.

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by SaturnV
The ones who drive me nuts are the cyclists who think they can pick and choose between being a pedestrian and a cyclist. If you want the pedestrian laws to apply to you, get off your bike and onto your feet.

Exactly.

badatusrnames
09-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Couldn't agree more. They are car when it's convenient for them or a pedestrian when it's convenient to be so.

Sort of how they ride in the road as a car, but then blow through four-way stops in the crosswalk as if they were a pedestrian.

Enhance
09-26-2008, 11:37 PM

Agreed 100%

Originally posted by 5fivespeed
A sidewalk, is where a bike should be. Next thing you know, some idiots going to take their bike, on Deerfoot or something because it's the "law."

And actually slow moving vehicles are not aloud on deerfoot. The kid was probably just trying to piss everyone off by doing 10km/h, most cyclists are capable of getting up to 30-40km/h

5fivespeed
09-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Agreed 100%

And actually slow moving vehicles are not aloud on deerfoot. The kid was probably just trying to piss everyone off by doing 10km/h, most cyclists are capable of getting up to 30-40km/h

Okay, I retract that statement. I do belive the kid, was just being a douche. I respect cyclists that have the intention of riding to and from a destination. Not stupid people who ride on the road to piss off drivers.

I agree with you on that one good sir!

em2ab
09-26-2008, 11:46 PM
In Miontreal the minimum speed is posted right below the maximum speed on a sign so the cyclists would be forced to stay off the road if they can't keep up. But I'd fear for my life on a bike in Montreal anyway.

Khyron
09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Well I can hit 80 on my bike, so I'm not sure how you'd think that would work on a sidewalk.

Fact is, a bike is a VEHICLE and has exactly the same rights as a MOTOR-VEHICLE. And yes that means bikes get the exact same 250+ stop sign ticket that you get in a car. And yes, a bike CAN take an entire lane and does not have to drive in the gutter so you can rocket past to the next red light.

That said, there is some common sense that applies on both sides - bikes stay as right as reasonably possible to let cars pass on the left. Sometimes that means waiting a bit till the oncoming traffic clears then going around.

Deerfoot, the Coquihalla, and several others have specific signs forbidding bicycles for the reasons you state. But everywhere else, including Glenmore, Crowchild, Memorial, etc is fair game.

I try and stay on bike paths as much as possible, but they have a speed limit of 20 and that's insanely low for commuters so it's a risk using them.

I often roll through stop signs but I NEVER take a cars turn - I'll slow down enough that you go and either I go using you as a shield or I'll pass past you clearing the intersection as fast as possible.

pyroza
09-27-2008, 01:35 AM
A sidewalk is not for bicycles and neither is the middle of the road. Bicycles should be on the side of the road next to the sidewalk.

pf0sh0
09-27-2008, 01:42 AM

:werd: those shisty mulla fuckas.

bmeier
09-27-2008, 01:45 AM
riding on the side of the road is dangerous because uneducated people don't think you belong there and they nearly hit you when trying to pass. People in Calgary are complete fuckfaces and that's the sad truth. if they just made designated bike lanes like a lot of major cities everything would be much better.

Mixalot27
09-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Up the street from me is a government assistance condo housing project type of thing. Every single day when I drive past there, a bunch of kids are in the street. Either riding bikes, playing soccer, street hockey, etc. And these kids don't even have the sense to get out the way when they see me coming, there totally oblivious. I usually have to pretty much stop and then honk my horn before they even think to start moving out the way. And this is a reasonably busy street too.

Most of these kids are black and pretty young. So everytime I think of Boyz n the Hood and I'm tempted to go up to their houses and yell at the parents, "keep your kids out the goddam street". :rofl:

crazedmodder
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
In Miontreal the minimum speed is posted right below the maximum speed on a sign so the cyclists would be forced to stay off the road if they can't keep up. But I'd fear for my life on a bike in Montreal anyway.

I've never seen any minimum speed limit sign that wasn't on a highway :dunno:.

Eleanor
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Even if it's well within their right to be on the road, the guy was still a douche for not pulling over.

403ep3
09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
If I encounter a douche like that on their bike, I slow down then speed up really fast then brake to scare them. Always does the job :P

I'm an ass and I know it. :devil:

Proboscis
09-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Hopefully these don't become a plague on the streets.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/proboscis100/DSC01520.jpg

2002civic
09-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Agree 100%

colinxx235
09-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Well I can hit 80 on my bike, so I'm not sure how you'd think that would work on a sidewalk.

I call bullshit on that... only way you are doing 80 on a bike is if you're cruising down a huge hill, 50-60 is believable not 80, cause I doubt you're an olympian rider and even then...

ZorroAMG
09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
LMAO @ Khyron doing 80..

Khyron on his way to work:

http://www.ianlea.com/madrid/vuelta3.jpg

flipstah
09-28-2008, 11:18 AM
So to reiterate, a bicycle has the same right as a car on the road?

Or just the shoulder part of the road (the side)?

If it is true for the former, I have to treat a bicycle in front of me as a car and if it's a single lane, I have to wait behind it?

Do apologize if this has been cleared up.

Khyron
09-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

I call bullshit on that... only way you are doing 80 on a bike is if you're cruising down a huge hill, 50-60 is believable not 80, cause I doubt you're an olympian rider and even then...

Of course it's down a hill, but it doesn't have to be huge. And wind really affects bikers more than a car. I just checked my bike comp and since last reset the max speed logged was 77.6 - and that's going to work and back not even trying for speed. Avg for the whole trip was 29.7 including lights/stops.

My race buddy can clock almost 90 out in springbank, and other triathlon non-elites have hit over 100 in training.

My point was that bikes hit speeds that are not 10k/hr which some people think is all bikers do. You can't put em on sidewalks.

I think as soon as you put a motor on a bike you become a motorized vehicle and require insurance to drive on public roads so you hopefully won't see too many of those.

Canmorite
09-28-2008, 11:46 AM
80 km/h is doable. I've hit 77 on my XC bike on the highway to jasper haha.

Khyron
09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
So to reiterate, a bicycle has the same right as a car on the road?

Or just the shoulder part of the road (the side)?

If it is true for the former, I have to treat a bicycle in front of me as a car and if it's a single lane, I have to wait behind it?

Do apologize if this has been cleared up.

Yes, it's the same as a car. However out of COURTESY he's supposed to give you as much room to pass as needed, sort of like how slow RVs or Farm equipment is supposed to hug the right side.

Part 5 of the Highway Traffic Act (sections 143-150) of Alberta, R.S.A. 1980, c. H-7 defines a bicycle and describes the rights and obligations of a cyclist:

S.1 44 Unless the context otherwise requires, a person operating a bicycle or motor cycle on a highway

(a) has all the rights, and
(b) is subject to all the duties,

of a driver under Part 3.

The applicants submit that, for the purposes of the Highway Traffic Act, the rights and obligations of motorists and cyclists are "equal".

If you run into a huge group of bikers, they have every right to take the whole lane (unless signs forbid it, like out on Old Banff coach road). But usually a group like that will be going pretty quick and will try and use roads with a big shoulder (like 22x etc).

Khyron
09-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
LMAO @ Khyron doing 80..

Khyron on his way to work:

http://www.ianlea.com/madrid/vuelta3.jpg

Not as far off as you might think.

midtoad
10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed
I pulled up to this guy on his bike and said, "Hey, see the sidewalk, GET ON IT."

so, you don't know the rules of the road and rights of cyclists to use the road - the entire lane, if they wish. Why not dig out your Alberta Driver's Handbook and re-read pages 123-125.

So what did I do? I don't know what made me do it, but I chased the bastard. Slowly however, rolling through the parking lot and seeing his two friends scrambling to my SUV at 10km/h.

And now you're admitting you used your car as a weapon.

I then shut my lights off, and drove through the parking lot. Caught one of them zipping down the parking lot and turned my lights on and honked,

And here you are admitting you broke the law by driving at night without your headlights. [/quote]

I was only looking for their safety.

This is of course a patent lie. As you have yourself confessed, you are an ignorant (of the law), law-breaking bully. There's no justification for using violence against road users. Have you considered counselling for your anger?

zain123
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
not the same as u
but i went back to my old place to pickup some stuff
and had the car parked outside for half hour
and some stupid punk kids scratched up the whole front lip.. fuckin sucks

hypnotoad
10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, it's illegal for a bike to be on the sidewalk...they're not allowed to go there, but I would rather see them on the sidewalk..it's safer imo.

89coupe
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I fucking hate anyone on bikes riding on the road and obstructing traffic, fucking drives me nuts.

When I see a bike trying to cut up the side of a lane I purposley move so fucking close to the edge they have no choice but to stop or go on the sidewalk if possible.

I have no idea what the law is but if you are on the road I feel you should obay the laws as if you were a motorized vehicle.

If you ride beside me and then pull in front of me at a red light, I will run you the fuck over.

midtoad
10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I fucking hate anyone on bikes riding on the road and obstructing traffic, fucking drives me nuts.

ahem, bikes aren't obstructing traffic, they ARE traffic. They are legally considered vehicles and their drivers have all the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other vehicles. If you can't accept this, your alternative is to not drive a car.

It sounds as though you carry a lot of anger about your daily commute. Commuting by single-occupant motor vehicle basically sucks, and you're taking out your frustration on cyclists, who seem to be having a good time while commuting in a more sustainable way than you are. Perhaps you should give it a try; it would relax you and teach you about tolerance.

On the other hand, threatening to run over cyclists only exposes you as a dangerous, violent person who can't be trusted behind the wheel of a car.

I have no idea what the law is

How did you ever get a driver's licence if you're totally ignorant of the laws? Do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of the Alberta Driver's Handbook, and read pages 123-125 about the rights and duties of cyclists.

rece
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
The only way I will consider a bike traffic, is if the individual is wearing a lid. I think they have the same rights as a vehicle, but should have to abide by the same rules as scooters, and motorbikes. There are the ones down town that dont obey the rules of the road, and think that a hybrid of ped, and car rules apply. If they abide by the rules I will give them the respect on the road.

NT650 Hawk
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by rece
The only way I will consider a bike traffic, is if the individual is wearing a lid. I think they have the same rights as a vehicle, but should have to abide by the same rules as scooters, and motorbikes. There are the ones down town that dont obey the rules of the road, and think that a hybrid of ped, and car rules apply. If they abide by the rules I will give them the respect on the road.

So they only way you'll respect the law is if it's your law?

rece
10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Not to get into a pissing contest... that I would no doubt win.

I GIVE RESPECT WHEN I GET RESPECT.

Grogador
10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
- Not wearing a helmet is idiocy, and illegal if you're <18
- Playing pedestrian will get your ass run over quick... walk your bike through the crosswalks if you'd like to be considered a pedestrian

Having said that, impatient little dicks in cars suck. They'll endanger your life to cut 3sec off their commute and generally regard you as a lower form of life because... you choose a healthy, relaxing and (generally) pleasant form of transportation. It's my lane. Get your own.

sgouki
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
There are way too many useless complaint threads. People need to do some research and know their laws before being so retarded. It is by law, that the cyclist can take up the whole lane and it is required for an automobile to treat a cyclist like any other vehicle on the road. It's people who don't understand these things and then fill themselves up with unnecessary rage that the daily rush hour accidents occur.

prae
10-08-2008, 10:29 AM
this thread is proof of why I am scared as fuck to ride my bike around calgary.