PDA

View Full Version : "Higher End" Restaurant Suggestions

reborn_euro
09-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey all, so here's the situation, girlfriends birthday in 25 days ( our first year together) have everything ready but need to pick out a restaurant for her dinner, she wants something nice/quiet/private... Problem is I'm out of town all the time and I'm coming in, 2 days before her birthday, so please gimme some ideas on "higher end" restaurants for a dinner for 2 that i can book 2weeks or so ahead. Thanks all.

dj_rice
09-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Mercato
Bolero
Catch
Saltlik
Wild Ginger
Red Water
Blink
Rush

JfuckinC
09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Mercato
Bolero
Catch
Saltlik
Wild Ginger
Red Water
Blink
Rush

holy, fuck.
a normal, nice legitimate post.
you've turned over a new leaf?!

but really, bolero is amazing.

reborn_euro
09-27-2008, 12:39 PM
haha thanks bois.

A790
09-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Mercato isn't really a quiet/intimate place.

May I recommend Sugo? Jacqueline Suzanne's is also a good place to go if you like intimacy (ask for a table upstairs).

reborn_euro
09-28-2008, 12:57 PM
A790 I see your kinda a review guy on here,have any reviews on Sugo and Jacqueline Suzanne's? I'm liking the atmosphere shown on their websites.

A790
09-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by reborn_euro
A790 I see your kinda a review guy on here,have any reviews on Sugo and Jacqueline Suzanne's? I'm liking the atmosphere shown on their websites.
Well, my family owns Jacqueline Suzanne's so that was kind of a plug that I threw in there ;). However, it is a small, romantic place with a lot of atmosphere and old-world charm. Check it out if that's your thing.

Sugo is a bit more trendy and upscale, with a menu that changes daily. The food is always well prepared, the tables are comfortable, and the service is good as well. I go there quite often (despite owning the restaurant across the street, haha).

Another good place to try would be the River Cafe in Euclaire. I've been there a couple of times and have left happy each time :)

ZorroAMG
09-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Don't you mean River Cafe, dude? That place isn't bad...a little overrated IMO.

I'd also look at La Brezza for italian...

89Coupe should chime in, he has good ideas/reviews too.

A790
09-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Don't you mean River Cafe, dude? That place isn't bad...a little overrated IMO.

I'd also look at La Brezza for italian...

89Coupe should chime in, he has good ideas/reviews too.
Yea that's what I meant :)

reborn_euro
09-28-2008, 01:35 PM
ok so out of the one you own and the other one, which is better for a quiet dinner for two........ be honest......:angel:

A790
09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Jacqueline Suzanne's for sure.

DJ_NAV
09-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Abruzzo for awesome food... i don't know if it's high end enough.. but it could be border line high end.

GiangZilla
09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
2 thumbs down for blink and as for bolero's if you like to eat a lot of meat then its ok not the best but not bad!

reborn_euro
09-28-2008, 03:34 PM
alright boys thanks for all the help, im thinking its going to be Jacqueline Suzanne's for the dinner for two and later in the weekend going to Bolero for her dinner with friends since it seems to be a "fun" place to eat.

HyperZell
09-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Anybody been to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, in the Calgary Tower?

dannie
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
I second Jacqueline Suzannes

**Oh, and we went to Bolero earlier this week. Very fun place. Go when you are hungry though :)

Super_Geo
09-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Bolero is fun, but not very romantic. Better suited for a double date than your girlfriend's birthday.

LongCity
09-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Beyond meet at Jacqueline Suzanne's!

pinoyhero
09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Il Sogno ... nuff said.

ZorroAMG
09-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by reborn_euro
alright boys thanks for all the help, im thinking its going to be Jacqueline Suzanne's for the dinner for two and later in the weekend going to Bolero for her dinner with friends since it seems to be a "fun" place to eat.

Nice! Rocking the beyond support!

I'll have to come check your place out this week A790...

GiangZilla
09-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell

+ 1

Super_Geo
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
^ A lot of shit is a la carte, and if you like your food drenched in butter Ruth's Chris will fit the bill. Pretty much what you'd expect from a steakhouse in Texas.

I thought it was too rich and got sick of the meal about 1/3 way through, and found it rather mediocre. I think I've had better steaks at The Keg for 1/2 the price once you factor in sides. When I reheated the rest of the steak/sides the next day it was really good though... haha all that butter keeps the food from going dry in the fridge I guess.

Ice712
09-29-2008, 12:41 PM

This place is junk...an American chain steak house in Calgary that serves American beef???

$40 for a piece of crap cooked in butter...oh and if you want sides your looking at $12/side.

This is one of those places where you pay a lot for not very much...if you're into that then Ruth's Chris is for you.

gkAeris
09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Rush was amazing, but very pricey imo...

$645 for the menu for 4 people and including tips $780$.

but definetly worth it for the once a year/lifetime dining experience.

Baron O' Funk
09-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

VERY pricey but a a great dining experience. Special occassions for sure.

legendboy
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM

meh i wouldn't go back myself :dunno:

syeve
09-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Ice712

This place is junk...an American chain steak house in Calgary that serves American beef???

$40 for a piece of crap cooked in butter...oh and if you want sides your looking at $12/side.

This is one of those places where you pay a lot for not very much...if you're into that then Ruth's Chris is for you.

Have you ever been there? I am born and raised in Calgary and LOVE a good steak and that is by far one of the best steaks I have ever had (fillet).

Il Sogno is prob your best bet for a quiet, romantic joint. $$$ though.

Vanish3d
09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

$645 for 4 people??

PLEASE tell me that included some alcohol of some sort...

Whats average price per person for these "high end" kinda places (without booze)?

Baron O' Funk
09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d

$645 for 4 people??

Whats average price per person for these "high end" kinda places (without booze)?

At Rush, (where he spent 640), you have two choices for your dining, one 85 per person (without drinks), the other 75 per person.

gkAeris
09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d

$645 for 4 people??

sorry should have been more detailed (i have the break down in the Rush dining thread)

but yeah we got 1-wine pairing $45, 1 bottle of clark cloud napa valley $285,

and one martini and thats it....

cet
09-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Il Sogno ... nuff said.

I can't complain about Il Sogno, I took my girlfriend there about 3 years ago. We had the chef's tasting menu at the time which was 4 courses which included bacon wrapped marlin, veal ravioli, a lamb dish and dessert. It was pricy at $320 for us but well worth it.

cooperS
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
1) Rimrock at the Fairmont Palliser - quiet & high end atmosphere, server will do something special for u if you mention during reservation. excellent food!

2) La Breeza at bridgeland - very cozy italian house, homemade italian food

3) Saint Germain at Hotel Arts - french cusine, high ended, scene to be see