PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Grade Paint Remover

tabouli
09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
This is a product that was suggested to me for removing paint from some body pieces I wanted re-done. The people I spoke with said it would work really well, so I found a source for it and came here to ask questions for anyone who has used it before.

Is it safe to use on metal and bumper plastic? Or will it harm the plastic?
Are there any stores that stock it? Or does it have to be ordered?
What are some useful tips that can be suggested while working with it?

Cheers

Proboscis
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
don't use it on PP bumper covers

Dj_Stylz
09-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I used it to strip my valve cover a while ago. Its easy to use and works pretty quick.

The place i got it from is off 32nd some auto body supply store just forgot the name.

jfulton
09-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Location to buy it in town .

Smith McLeay Coatings LtdSmith McLeay Coatings Ltd
422 40 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB T2E 2M7

(403) 276-4884ý

You should were a resporator.
Where gloves and long sleeve shirt , and glasses .

Product is called TURCO paint stripper . they usually have it in stock.

Apply to metal painted items only , allow it to sit for about 30 minuts , clean off and reapply .. till the paint is all bubbled off

crazedmodder
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
NAPA/CMAX carries it. Don't use it on plastic it will ruin it.

Do it in a well ventilated area. If you get it on yourself wash it off with water RIGHT AWAY. Wear safety goggles and thick rubber gloves (latex/nitrile gloves are not enough)

If you're doing it on iron you'll want to get a metal cleaner and a metal conditioner (phosphate) as well. Once you're done stripping you have to wash the part in water or their product (I always use water). Water of course will make it rust so you will use the metal cleaner afterwards to scrub off the surface rust and then the conditioner to re-apply the protective phosphate so the metal won't rust again. Some companies have both products in one I believe. I believe you'll always have to re-apply the phosphate anyways because it gets stripped.

tabouli
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Great! Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful :thumbsup:

SprayGUN
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
the aircraft paint stripper i have is just as corosive as battery acid. do not put it on anything but metal!! The shit i have smells like ammonia , works great, got it at auto value.