PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mazda 6 opinions..

fast95pony
09-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Anyone driven one ?? I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's '02 Accord. The I-4 with the 6-speed manual is a possibility.

A790
09-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I test drove one. I've always liked the 6, and the new ones are quite good. Very responsive, but there's just something about the guage cluster that irks me.

Super_Geo
09-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Had a 07 Mazda 6 (I4, auto) for about 3 months and I didn't really like it.

The turning radius was just garbage, engine was loud but unresponsive, not a lot of grunt (though that might not matter if your wife will be driving it).

I'd take the new Accord over the Mazda6 anyday...

gpomp
09-28-2008, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Had a 07 Mazda 6 (I4, auto) for about 3 months and I didn't really like it.

The turning radius was just garbage, engine was loud but unresponsive, not a lot of grunt (though that might not matter if your wife will be driving it).

I'd take the new Accord over the Mazda6 anyday... he asked about the 09, you homo. :guns:

fast95pony
09-28-2008, 05:47 AM
She's owned 2 Accords already.The '09 Accord is in the running too. The Mazda's 170 hp will be plenty of power.

dj techsta
09-28-2008, 06:04 AM
don't know about performance and driving, but looks wise, to me it looks way too much like a toyota

Casa
09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
i drove one, not a fan. Felt too cheap. Why not look at like a 08 Camry?

heavyD
09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Mazda's are perplexing cars. They look very nice initially and have a sportier feel than the competition. Unfortunately ownership isn't as fun once the inevitable problems start runining the experience as Mazda's are less reliable than even domestics.

khtm
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Apparently reviews of the 2009 redesign have all been really good. Haven't driven one myself, but at least your wife would be driving a more unique car than those in an Accord or Camry.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/2009-mazda6.php

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/family_four_doors/2009_mazda_6_first_drive_review

blownz
09-29-2008, 08:02 AM
^ I totally agree with the 'more unique' part. I haven't driven the new 6, but it looks great in pictures. Not nearly as bland as Camry or Accord and according to reviews so far, more fun to drive. I actually want to go try one out myself.

Mibz
09-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Mazda's are perplexing cars. They look very nice initially and have a sportier feel than the competition. Unfortunately ownership isn't as fun once the inevitable problems start runining the experience as Mazda's are less reliable than even domestics. Had a Mazda for two months before ditching it as fast as I could.
Girlfriend's '02 Mazda was rusting 3 years ago.

We were both happy as tits when we first got them but won't even consider one now.

rc2002
09-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Mazda's are perplexing cars. They look very nice initially and have a sportier feel than the competition. Unfortunately ownership isn't as fun once the inevitable problems start runining the experience as Mazda's are less reliable than even domestics.

Bingo! The styling usually looks great when it first comes out but then become dated very fast. The test drives usually go well too because the cars handle decently.

The cars are marketed towards the impulsive. If people thought it through and considered resale and reliability, Mazda would have no business.

heavyD
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Had a Mazda for two months before ditching it as fast as I could.
Girlfriend's '02 Mazda was rusting 3 years ago.

We were both happy as tits when we first got them but won't even consider one now.

Yeah our 02 Protege 5 started rusting after three years. Mazda told us it was normal for a Calgary car and they couldn't do anything until there was perforation. Transmission grinding 2-3 was normal due to age (67K is barely broken in for crying out loud). IAC failed one week after 3 year warranty expired and Sunridge wouldn't do anything for us except to generously replace it for the cost of $700.:rolleyes: Traded the POS in one week later and would go Hyundai or domestic before considering Mazda again.

heavyD
09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The cars are marketed towards the impulsive. If people thought it through and considered resale and reliability, Mazda would have no business.

Yeah there's a forum member (Rotten) that went through a few engines and had rust also on his RX8. They are fortunate that so many females have purchsed Mazda 3's because anyone that knows cars should know by now to stay far, far away.

Mitsu3000gt
09-29-2008, 11:18 AM

How much of the Mazda 6 is actually Ford? Isn't the engine from Ford? I don't know the answer, but I'm curious.

Mibz
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I know the current engines (I4 and V6) are both Ford, I'm not sure if the '09 6 is getting a new engine but I'm pretty sure it will be Ford.

r3cc0s
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
There are a number of confusions I hope somebody clears up

But from what I understand, the old Mazda 6 was basically a replica of the Ford Mondeo which really is a good car, which is also sisters to the American Ford Fusion, which again really is a decent car

I've drove an old Ford Focus RS in England and was presently surprised and then realized... Just like alot of European cars, with the exception of the French, they do things right.

From what I know, the Ford Focus shares a platform with the Volvo C30, which has got some rave reviews out here

Ford's Euro division needs to be brought here, along with their quality of manufacturing.

With their line of Focus ST's & Fiesta, a domestic company could fill the void which is primarily dominated by the imports.

Mibz
09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
But from what I understand, the old Mazda 6 was basically a replica of the Ford Mondeo which really is a good car, which is also sisters to the American Ford Fusion, which again really is a decent car The platform was designed in Japan by Mazda.

CD3 platform

Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

* 2003–present Mazda 6
* 2006–present Ford Fusion (CD338)
* 2006–present Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ (CD378)
* 2006–present Mercury Milan (CD338)
* 2007 Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV
* 2007 Ford Edge crossover SUV (U338)
* 2007 Lincoln MKX crossover SUV

CD3-2 platform (New Mazda 6)

Future CD3 2 models:

* 2008 Mazda 6
* 2010 Ford Fusion
* 2010 Mercury Milan
* 2010 Lincoln MKZ
* 2011 Ford Edge
* 2011 Lincoln MKX

shanxk8
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I recently saw the new mazda6 while out looking for a used car. It seems like they're trying to replicate the swoopy look of the european 4-door "coupes". Didn't drive it so can't comment on that, but i'd give it good marks on looks

BTW, our old car is/was a '91 626 and made it to 445000 kms before we decided to replace it. Sure it was rusted, but how many cars make it that far on the original engine & trany (auto).
We ended up replacing it with a used '05 mazda 6.

Inzane
09-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah our 02 Protege 5 started rusting after three years. Mazda told us it was normal for a Calgary car and they couldn't do anything until there was perforation.

Hmm, my 01 Sentra still has no body rust whatsoever.

There is rust on some of the stamped-steel suspension components though, but that's probably normal.

saiyajin
09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Hmm, my 01 Sentra still has no body rust whatsoever.

There is rust on some of the stamped-steel suspension components though, but that's probably normal.

your Mazda Sentra? :nut:

Inzane
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
your Mazda Sentra? :nut:

:confused:
No, just comparing an entry level Mazda to an entry level Nissan, same category, price range, and era.

Eleanor
09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Old mazdas > new mazdas

My '92 protege with 200k+ all city is still kicking. A little bit of rust, but other than regular maintenance, the only thing I've had to do is replace is the front passenger axle.

And I like to drive the piss out of it :D (Mostly just to keep up with traffic, haha)

Stealth22
09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
She's owned 2 Accords already.The '09 Accord is in the running too. The Mazda's 170 hp will be plenty of power.

Honestly? Go with the Accord or the Camry.

treg50
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
This is easy enough, go with the new Accord OR the new Malibu.