PDA

View Full Version : Got Into a Hit and Run

cdnsir
09-28-2008, 01:44 AM
I went over to my friend's place for dinner over at Bridgeland tonight. I chose a nice spot at the very end of the block, parallel parked, left plenty of space between me and the car in front of me, then proceed with my evening.

I got back down at around 12:30am, I noticed my hood gap looked a bit weird when I walked by. I went in for a closer look. Low and behold, my hood was popped up by a finger's width on both sides! I let out a big loud "Fuck !" Tracing the gap all the way to the front bumper. I see the weather stripping was all shifted, and fucking vertical streaks with my paint and 3M cover all scraped off from the top of my bumper!

Right away I realized. That fucking Red Toyota Tacoma in front (last-gen, around 2001 model) must have backed into my car when he pulled out. Since his truck was way higher than mine, the bottom of his back bumper must have grind the top of my bumper, until it caught to the tip of the hood, then it squished my hood in and popped it out of shape!

I know there's nothing that I can do about this now, and all I can do is to accept my misfortune. But seriously, to that fucker who scarred the love of my life. I wish you nothing but the absolute worst in your motherfucking life! There's karma in life man, expect what you had done to me tonight to be returned to you by 10 fold you cock sucking son of a crack whore!!!

/rant

Now, I've always babied my car and never had to contact the insurance for anything. To all you guys who had some fucker do a hit and run on ya. How do the insurance companies usually handle claims like this? Would they raise my premium because we don't have the guilty party to cover the bill? Or do they actually have a heart, and understand that this wasn't my fault and help me fix the car without jacking up my rate?

colinxx235
09-28-2008, 10:52 AM
or make a police report/camp out where the incident happen and hope to find the guys vehicle and report the license plate as well or inspect for your paint on his car? hard to say

schocker
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
could you perhaps take some pictures and give them to the police with rulers in them:dunno:

Kennyredline
09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
I went over to my friend's place for dinner over at Bridgeland tonight. I chose a nice spot at the very end of the block, parallel parked, left plenty of space between me and the car in front of me, then proceed with my evening.

I got back down at around 12:30am, I noticed my hood gap looked a bit weird when I walked by. I went in for a closer look. Low and behold, my hood was popped up by a finger's width on both sides! I let out a big loud "Fuck !" Tracing the gap all the way to the front bumper. I see the weather stripping was all shifted, and fucking vertical streaks with my paint and 3M cover all scraped off from the top of my bumper!

Right away I realized. That fucking Red Toyota Tacoma in front (last-gen, around 2001 model) must have backed into my car when he pulled out. Since his truck was way higher than mine, the bottom of his back bumper must have grind the top of my bumper, until it caught to the tip of the hood, then it squished my hood in and popped it out of shape!

I know there's nothing that I can do about this now, and all I can do is to accept my misfortune. But seriously, to that fucker who scarred the love of my life. I wish you nothing but the absolute worst in your motherfucking life! There's karma in life man, expect what you had done to me tonight to be returned to you by 10 fold you cock sucking son of a crack whore!!!

/rant

Now, I've always babied my car and never had to contact the insurance for anything. To all you guys who had some fucker do a hit and run on ya. How do the insurance companies usually handle claims like this? Would they raise my premium because we don't have the guilty party to cover the bill? Or do they actually have a heart, and understand that this wasn't my fault and help me fix the car without jacking up my rate?

Another awesome good 'ol boy with his pickup...he was probably hammered to boot.

Jynx
09-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Not sure if all insurance policies are like this but my policy has hit and run coverage so that my rates do not go up if this happens!

mark4091
09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Go to the house that the car was parked at and ask who the guy in the red tacoma is.

RedStealth
09-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Talk to your buddy, find out if that truck is there often. Maybe it's his neighbour's truck or friends that frequent that house. Did you see any paint on your car?

If you can find out if/when that truck is there again, check it out and see if there's any paint on his bumper and take some pics of that also.

Barking_Spidre
09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
If you claim your car as a hit and run with your insurance company, it is covered under vandalism, and your premiums won't go up.

I had to claim mine within 48 hours of it happening or I would've had to pay my deductible.

So call asap, even just to let them know.

Here's a pic of my Hit and Run.
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v148/188/123/508862201/n508862201_458365_2471.jpg

Casa
09-28-2008, 06:46 PM
thats shitty man :(

403ep3
09-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Wow that sucks. Hopefully your insurance company won't be useless.

cdnsir
09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Well i phoned the non-emergency police line first thing in the morning to figure out what I should be doing now. They just instructed me to bring my insurance and registration, and drive the car to the nearest station to file a report.

I got there, he took my documents, went came outside to check on the car, then had me write a full statement and gave me a police number at the end. Other than that, it was pretty much a big waste of time. Because since I don't have a plate and there was no witness I'm pretty much screwed in finding any liability.

The suggestion of asking my buddy to see if that trunk is familiar is a great idea. But the crappy part is he lives in a huge condo complex, and where I parked is pretty much where all visitor parks, so the chance of seeing that same truck there is pretty slim. But I will ask him to keep an eye out though.

Barking_Spidre - Sorry about your Pathfinder man, that looks fucking brutal! Thanks for the advice on that 48-hr rule man, I didn't know anything about that. Now that I have the police report number ready, I'm going to phone the insurance company first thing tomorrow to see what they can do.

I'm with ING btw. I'll give you guys an update later to see how good they are with handling cases like these.

Barking_Spidre
09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Well i phoned the non-emergency police line first thing in the morning to figure out what I should be doing now. They just instructed me to bring my insurance and registration, and drive the car to the nearest station to file a report.

I got there, he took my documents, went came outside to check on the car, then had me write a full statement and gave me a police number at the end. Other than that, it was pretty much a big waste of time. Because since I don't have a plate and there was no witness I'm pretty much screwed in finding any liability.

The suggestion of asking my buddy to see if that trunk is familiar is a great idea. But the crappy part is he lives in a huge condo complex, and where I parked is pretty much where all visitor parks, so the chance of seeing that same truck there is pretty slim. But I will ask him to keep an eye out though.

Barking_Spidre - Sorry about your Pathfinder man, that looks fucking brutal! Thanks for the advice on that 48-hr rule man, I didn't know anything about that. Now that I have the police report number ready, I'm going to phone the insurance company first thing tomorrow to see what they can do.

I'm with ING btw. I'll give you guys an update later to see how good they are with handling cases like these.

Glad I could be of any help. :D

Stealth22
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
You say your buddy lives in a condo complex...by any chance does the complex have security cameras around? Or maybe a business nearby? Maybe a camera got the truck driving away?

I know I'm grasping at straws, but it may be worth a shot :dunno:

MikeAg
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
You say your buddy lives in a condo complex...by any chance does the complex have security cameras around? Or maybe a business nearby? Maybe a camera got the truck driving away?

I know I'm grasping at straws, but it may be worth a shot :dunno:

^^^
what do you got to lose?

Unknown303
09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Which area of Bridgeland. I live down there and own a red Tacoma....

But seriously I don't but could keep an eye out for one if you can give a location.

cdnsir
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
^^ So it was you, you dirty douche! j/k LOL

It's by the intersection of Centre Ave and 9th St NE, the condos in front of Mcdougall park. Since I was on the side of a public road, I don't think there will be any cameras pointing there. The only thing I can add about that truck is when I parked behind it, I remember seeing a Charlesglen sticker on its rear, and that's it.

Thanks for offering to keep an eye out if you ever drive by! I'll be typing up a notice tonight and ask my friend to post it in his complex to see if anybody saw or heard anything as well.

Insurance-wise, I talked to them today and things are not looking great. Even though I was not at fault, I'm stuck with the deductible for sure. Looking at the damage, the deductible will probably be 50-75% of the total cost to repaint the bumper, and swap the hood... A total shitty deal, but at least they said this won't affect my rate. ONLY IF by chance I can find this guy, then that's the only way I can get away with not paying out of my pocket.

Graham_A_M
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Whenever I park my car, I always get the license plates of all vehicles parked either beside, in front or behind me, just in case this happens.

Stealth22
09-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Whenever I park my car, I always get the license plates of all vehicles parked either beside, in front or behind me, just in case this happens.

I try to do that too. Problem is, depending on how long you're parked, they can leave and other cars can come in and hit you.

Unknown303
09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Well I drive past there everyday heading to my place so it won't hurt to have a look and see if he's hanging around there sometime.

Spawn
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I know what its like, I have 2 nice square trailer hitch marks on my front bumper from trucks backing into me :(

403Gemini
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM

/rant

The insurance will code it as a 0% at fault collision accident. You will still need to pay your deductible as there is no third party information to subrogate against and collect the money.

As for your premium raising, thats really between your broker and the underwriting department. It being 0% it SHOULDN'T , but they take into account your entire driving profile and go from there. Unfortunately I cant help you with that and give you a 100% answer as to whether they will or will not raise your premium.

cdnsir
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah. the latest update is yes I do have to pay deductible but my rate won't be affected at all. The sad part is my deductible is $500. And that will be a good chunk of the bill right there... Damn.

On that note, ING has this RELY Network thing of preferred body shops which offers better warranty. Crossing that with the body shop thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110550&perpage=20&pagenumber=1), I only find 3 places that had good ratings on beyond.

Anyone has any personal experiences with these guys? Right now I'm leaning more towards Contemporary.

- Low Cost Autobody
- Contemporary Coachworks
- Concours Collision Center

403Gemini
09-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Which concours? north or south?

cdnsir
09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Both. It gave me 64 Crowfoot Cir and 1201 42 Ave SE. Is there a difference in quality between the 2 sites?

Tik-Tok
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I used south Concours when my Mustang got hit. They put in the foam insulation in the door backwards, so when the window went up/down it squeaked.

What made me more concerned, wasn't the dumbass who did that, it was the final inspector who didn't notice the SCREEEEEEEEEECH, when he signed off on it.

Paint looked perfect though.

403Gemini
09-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Both. It gave me 64 Crowfoot Cir and 1201 42 Ave SE. Is there a difference in quality between the 2 sites?

I've had people goto the north and havent heard any complaints but i've always dealt with the south one more frequently and heard a lot of good things about them.

Edit:

Also A-1 really isnt that bad at all. VERY clean shop, my buddys mazdaspeed6 was maimed in a rear ending accident (his ass was taken out) and they did a phenomenal job on the repair. (they did forget to reinstall the gas cap switch though, so he took it back and they fixed it without question in like 1 day)

em2ab
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
It depends on which insurance company you're with. Mine has a hit and run policy where I don't have to pay the deductible as long as I report it to police within 24 hours and they cover everything. Otherwise you pay your deductible and they will go after the people that did it to get their money back. It'll help you if you provide them with the license plate of the truck you think did it and they'll contact them, have someone investigate and get it all checked out. Likely that guy will get charged for the repairs and you may not have to do anything.

But I read in my other thread that you're looking for a shop to do the work, I have nothing but good things to say about Contemporary Coachworks. They do all the warranty/insurance work for Honda and many other companies and painted my entire trunk just a month ago. At my request and extra charge, they removed the H symbol, welded in a new plate, sanded it all down, painted over it and painted the molding as well. Great job...

http://www.danmaher.com/gallery/d/287-1/4_G.jpg

Unknown303
09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Well took a tour down that street and didn't see anything tonight. :thumbsdow

cdnsir
09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
So from the sound of things, Concours North and South are both pretty decent. I know I'll be getting good work done as long as I remember to double-check for dumb mistakes. ;)

Originally posted by 403Gemini
Also A-1 really isnt that bad at all.
I have reservations about A-1. I used them on my lastcar about 6 years ago, when they replaced my front driver's fender. They forgot to do the small things like touching up the bolts that they stripped the paint off of. And a major thing like buffing! They actually let my car go with a coat of haze on it. They did power buffed it out right away when I took it back, but come on...

Originally posted by em2ab
It depends on which insurance company you're with...

But I read in my other thread that you're looking for a shop to do the work, I have nothing but good things to say about Contemporary Coachworks...
Yea, since I don't have a plate or witness. I'm SOL with the deductible. I saw on your thread about the $1.2k quote for your bumper... That seems pretty high! Well, for me since I have to pony up the $500 no matter what, I might as well give these expensive guys a try to get my insurance money's worth.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Well took a tour down that street and didn't see anything tonight. :thumbsdow
Thanks for checking again dude! The chance of the truck being a visitor's ride is pretty high though, I really doubt he'll show up in the next little while. But I really do thank you for taking the time, it is much appreciated!

Unknown303
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Well I live right there so its really no pain to look around now and again.

em2ab
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
One thing I forgot to mention in my praises for Contemporary Coachworks, they don't work with AMA insurance because AMA gives them too low of a labour rate. Otherwise good to go.