PDA

View Full Version : Smashed window

bashir26
09-28-2008, 04:11 AM
My window was smashed tonight in Edmonton by some drunk white kids. They also pulled out a gun and shot randomly. This happened on 109st and Jasper. Security called the cops and wrote down the license plate and the car type. Other people called in and heard the gun shots. Police are saying that the license might of been a stolen plate. Can I still get this covered under insurance or is it all on me?

It took the cops almost and hour and a half to get the scene even though there were ENOUGH cops on Jasper since there are many clubs on Jasper. The cops didn't even care. They took my statement but not the security guard that was right there when it all happened.

I don't think there's anything I can do. Fuck i was never supposed to even go out...:cry:

Jynx
09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Your deductible will be higher ( or very close to) than the cost of replacing the window so there would be no point in going through insurance. Even if it wasnt a stolen plate you still couldnt make a claim against his insurance because it was the kid who smashed your window, not the vehicle. Unless i am mistaken...

bashir26
09-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
Your deductible will be higher ( or very close to) than the cost of replacing the window so there would be no point in going through insurance. Even if it wasnt a stolen plate you still couldnt make a claim against his insurance because it was the kid who smashed your window, not the vehicle. Unless i am mistaken...

My deductible is $500. There are a few damages: wheel, fender, and window. The person that hit my car was the passenger in the car.

The insurance system is so gay. This is the second time where I have to pay for my own damages. Why the hell do I even pay for insurance when it costs me $270/month

CUG
09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
What did you do to them?

bashir26
09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by CUG
What did you do to them?

Cops asked me same thing. I have never had any problems with anyone at the bar before. I don't know why anyone would be mad at me. Security guard told that this has happened a few times before. Where some drunk people smash rocks into other peoples windshield for laughs.

Cops told me that a week ago there was a shooting at the plaza where I parked.

If I knew all this before had I would of parked on the street.

Jynx
09-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

My deductible is $500. There are a few damages: wheel, fender, and window. The person that hit my car was the passenger in the car.

The insurance system is so gay. This is the second time where I have to pay for my own damages. Why the hell do I even pay for insurance when it costs me $270/month

Sorry i was under the impression that it was just your window.

Do you have hit and run coverage? If so, just pay your deductible and insurance will take care of everything else and there shouldnt be any raise in your premiums.

Senseiz
09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it will fall under vandalism or hit & run. What is your comprehensive deductible?
From your description of damage, I would go through insurance.

bashir26
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
I think it will fall under vandalism or hit & run. What is your comprehensive deductible?
From your description of damage, I would go through insurance.

$500. Does insurance cover anything? I really don't want to pay for another hit in run. Its been 5 months since the last one.

EvolutionI
09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
vandalism insurance will cover all the damages (like if your car got keyed) from what I know. My buddy's car got keyed and they covered it.

Its sad that this city has come to this. I guess in a booming economy, those that are not well off get pretty pissed off at any nice thing someone owns, and since they can't afford it, you shouldn't deserve it.

Why do people have to try and ruin what other people have worked so hard for? Just because you are to lazy to do anything harder then flipping burgers. I wish we would just start kicking them out of the province. 1st time, you get a fine of $1000, plus paying all damages, 2nd time we drive you to the border, and tell them if they are caught in the province again, they go to jail.

But no, its so much easier to just slap their wrists 20 times, hoping the 21st time that they will learn :banghead: :banghead:

bashir26
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI
vandalism insurance will cover all the damages (like if your car got keyed) from what I know. My buddy's car got keyed and they covered it.

Ill find out tomorrow. My agent will be calling me. Was your friends premium increased because he got the insurance company to fix his car?

Barking_Spidre
09-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Ill find out tomorrow. My agent will be calling me. Was your friends premium increased because he got the insurance company to fix his car?

My truck got hit and run last winter, and I claimed it as Vandalism, and my insurance rates didn't go up at all.

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v148/188/123/508862201/n508862201_458365_2471.jpg

bashir26
09-28-2008, 05:46 PM
^Who's your insurance company? I'm with co-operators

My car 1min ago.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/d-i-d-d-y/DSC05847.jpg

Jynx
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM

My car 1min ago.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/d-i-d-d-y/DSC05847.jpg

Im with them as well and my premiums DID NOT go up after making a hit and run claim last year.

bashir26
09-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Im with them as well and my premiums DID NOT go up after making a hit and run claim last year.

True your premiums do not go up with a hit and run claim. I made one 5 months ago when I was hit at the UofA. Do you know what they're policy is with Vandalism?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jynx
09-28-2008, 05:52 PM

True your premiums do not go up with a hit and run claim. I made one 5 months ago when I was hit at the UofA. Do you know what they're policy is with Vandalism?

Thanks for all the help guys!

I would assume that vandalism and hit and run are the same thing according to an insurance company however im not certain.

bashir26
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM

I would assume that vandalism and hit and run are the same thing according to an insurance company however im not certain.

So you would still have to pay the $500 deductible?

Jynx
09-28-2008, 05:55 PM

So you would still have to pay the $500 deductible?

To the best of my knowledge anytime the insurance company is making a pay out and not collecting from another insurance company you are responsible for the deductible.

Barking_Spidre
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM

My insurance company is Primmum insurance, the TD one.

bashir26
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

My insurance company is Primmum insurance, the TD one.

Did you pay your deductible when you claimed it under vandalism?

Carlton
09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
If its just the window I personally would just fork out the money for it. Its better than having a claim on your record for a measly $250 or whatever its going to cost for the window. The window isn't even worth the deductible.

Barking_Spidre
09-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Did you pay your deductible when you claimed it under vandalism?

Yea, I had to pay my 500 deductible, they wanted me to pay 1000 since I reported it 24 hours late. Happened on a saturday night and i reported it on tuesday. My mom talked to them and I got half of it back after the whole thing was over.

Senseiz
09-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I asked my insurance how claims like this (ie, vandalism) affect my premium. To my understanding, if you make claims, you wont get any discount in the next year. It will stay the same.

bashir26
09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
It's amazing how different auto glass companies very in prices.

Prices include installation, molding, and taxes:

Crystal Glass - $506
Apple Auto Glass - $455
Brite-View Glass - $270

As you can see the prices are either high or just about right.

Now you may be thinking that the type of glass matters, and that Apple Auto Glass and Crystal Glass use a better type glass, but they really don't. Apple uses nomus, which I've never heard of before. Brite uses PPG which is a pretty big company. I'm not sure what Crystal uses.

When I asked Crystal Auto Glass if they match the price or if they can do anything for me he pretty much laughed in my face and said "we don't price match or give discounts"