PDA

View Full Version : Review: Wicked Gravity

msommers
09-28-2008, 11:06 AM
If you have not heard of this place before, it sells climbing equipment. It's quite a small store located in Bowness but I ended up choosing it, over MEC.

The store itself is kind of hard to spot so keep an eye open as you come into Bowness on Bowness Rd.

I'm not an avid climber by any means so a lot of terms the guy at MEC used went right over my head. MEC is quite busy with not that many staff, and getting constant attention can't be expected. Conversely, Wicked Gravity (WG) has two employees which are more than enough for this store size.

Right away the girl I was dealing with asked what I was looking for and what skill level I was at. Right after, she asked if I had gone to MEC. They have no problems price matching and giving discounts on stuff like MEC does. The better option, especially here, is that you can build your own starter package and still get the discount, unlike MEC.

It was my first time buying shoes and well, I think I was in there for at least 2 hours trying on at least 2 dozen shoes. Her top concern was that they fit properly or I wouldn't want to bother climbing with them on. Not only that, if my shoes didn't work out I could come back and take another pair that I had also strongly considered (I think this was a one-time deal though).

Cole's Notes:
- No problems price and discount matching
- Exceptional service
- Friendly and caring employees

I would highly recommend this store if you're looking for climbing gear.

spikerS
09-28-2008, 11:13 AM
i second that.

My wife is now an avid climber. I went there to buy my wife everything she needed to start climbing.

The guy i dealt with there was awesome. I got no clue what the hell to call half the shit, or know how it works or what it does, but he took the time to explain everything to me and even demonstrate it all.

When I had picked out the package for my wife's birthday, he went on the MEC site on his own without my asking, and price matched everything that was cheaper there.

those guys are awesome, and since then, have earned all of my wife's business since.

climer
09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, those guys are pretty good. I used to drop by whenever I was in the area to discuss route info, conditions, etc.

I usually buy most of my gear from MEC because of the dividends but I'll gladly drop by WG for the stuff which they don't have.