PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what i should do...

83cutlassdude
08-10-2002, 08:57 PM
okay i've decided that i want to "update" (read make a street rod) my car. it is the 83 cutlass i have mentioned before.

what all should i do? i know i should do exaust and carb but what else?

83cutlassdude
08-10-2002, 10:07 PM
if this helps you all any its a 83 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a v6 231CID 3.8Liter...i THINK it has a 4 barrel carb.. not sure... what came on those old engines? quadrajets? (that means 4 barrel right?)

4wheeldrift
08-10-2002, 10:30 PM
What are you trying to do to the car? Make it fast for drag racing? Slaloms? Just a street cruiser? any or all?

83cutlassdude
08-10-2002, 10:44 PM
i want it to go fast... right now i cant even roast the tires so that would be a plus if i could get it to do that :) i jsut want speed and some acceleration... i know that you scarifice speed for acceleration or accel for speed... but my god.... 30-45 seconds to 60 is rediculous!!

so what should i do?
im probably going to get the Holly Street Avenger Carb if it will fit.. and that should improve things a little bit shouldnt it???

PS if any one could tell me if its a 4 or 2 barrel carb it would be much appreciated :)!

5.9 R/T
08-11-2002, 02:41 AM
Why not pop the hood, take off the cannister and if it has 2 holes in the carb it's a 4bbl or if it has 2 holes it's a 2bbl. Because your motor is so old GM was probably using a 'slow burn' head design, which means better emissions but crappy performance. So your biggest gains will be found by swaping in some decent heads. A good intake manifold combined with a 4bbl carb and headers and you should have a decently quick car.

Edit: I'm sure there's some olds forums that you can find that would have better advice to give you and some experience with your car in particular.

4wheeldrift
08-11-2002, 04:46 AM
4.11 rear end with a detroit locker and a built 350 under the hood will get you going quick. Don't know what kind of performance you can get out of the stock V6, might be able to get parts for it, might not. Better bet would be to go for small block V8 power.