PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Security

black_radiation
09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey guys Im getting a new Gooseneck style flat deck trailer for work and was wondering if anyone had any experience as far as security for it. Im gonna be hitched 90% of the time anyways but for when I need to leave the trailer parked by my house I want as much protection as I can get. It has a locked battery box/toolbox that im going to install a 2way alarm into it so if the trailer is jolted, or the reed switch connection on the latching mechanism is broken it will go off. but of course I want a pin lock and a ball lock. does anyone have any experience with goosenecks as far as these go? who has a reputable product, what works the best etc.

Thanks in Advance

spikerS
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
we used a bar that would fit across underneath the trailer and fit through the spokes of the tires that was able to be locked with a padlock. with the small diameter rims, you could not fit bolt cutters in, but the bar would not allow the tires to turn.

You could easily get a welder to make something up pretty quick for pretty cheap that will do the same thing.

black_radiation
09-29-2008, 12:35 AM
yeah, I can weld and get metal stock so that wouldnt be a problem, not a bad idea though,

97'Scort
09-29-2008, 01:49 AM
We used to put wheel boots on some of our site trailers. Like the ones the police use. Maybe a little extreme but they'll never steal the trailer, especially if you add a ball lock (Masterlock makes a great ball lock).

black_radiation
09-29-2008, 04:32 PM
yeah I saw those online too, trailer theft is pretty bad nowadays I hear so I just wanna be a bit extra cautious with my brand new trailer :)

spikerS
09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
like I said, run a bar beneath the trailer that goes through the spokes of the rim, in order to remove the bar, they gotta jack the trailer up, crawl underneath, use a hacksaw and try to cut through it. wayy too much work.

Those ball locks don't do shit. we had one on my horse trailer, and they just cut it off somehow.

this is the best idea period though. Trailer will not move with this.

http://www.sasproducts.com/cgibin/ss000001.pl?SECTIONID=Winter%5fSecurity%5fWheels%2ehtml&NOLOGIN=1

97'Scort
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by spikers
Those ball locks don't do shit. we had one on my horse trailer, and they just cut it off somehow.

Nothing will stop a determined thief. A ball lock, like anything, is a deterrent. The longer it takes for them to steal it, the greater the chance somebody will see them. You can drill out just about any padlock in about 10 minutes, or cut it with a saw if it's a crappy one, but they'd like to be GONE in 5 minutes, not just getting started.

black_radiation
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
^ true, I know if they really want it, they'll take it, but just somethin to keep someone from pullin up and grabbin it, after all, it is only a flat deck goose neck trailer with nothing on it. nothin fancy.

black_radiation
09-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I like how SAS products site doesnt work whenever you go to a link after the home page... must be firefox...

spikerS
09-29-2008, 11:19 PM
i had no issues navigating it

black_radiation
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
u on mac firefox?

spikerS
09-29-2008, 11:43 PM
nope, PC firefox lol

black_radiation
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
yeah, im on a mac... this thread totally went off track lol, anyways, picking the trailer up saturday so I'll see what the hitch shop has to offer in the way of security.