PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to get into graduate school?

Casa
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I know this is a pretty general question, but I'm curious about how tough it is to get into graduate school. I'm going to be applying next summer for a graduate school probably for Education. Is it all based on your marks? I mean, does volunteering have to do with anything? Are they looking for 4.0 GPA's? anyone here have any experience applying to Graduate school, especially for education? and lastly, is it benefical to apply to a lot of school's, such as 5-10? thanks everyone.

oh and EDIT: i'm a 3rd year Polisci student going to one of the top undergrad schools in Canada, but undergrad doesn't matter to much right?

suranga
09-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Got a degree from a canadian university? 3.3+ gpa for your last two years and you should be fine. Even if you don't have that, talk to prospective proffs in your field and see if they'll sponsor you.
Ideally, you'd want to go to a different school than where you did your undergrad. Also, reputation and quality of program/school matters for a graduate degree.

rc2002
09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
If you're in a Canadian University it should be easy providing you have all the prereqs. Right now the grad programs are filled with exchange and visa students from other countries.

Penis McNickels
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Actually, lots of grad students are new immigrants that can't get a job related to their education because they don't have "Canadian" experience, so a lot of them go take a masters hoping that will be their "in".

And to the OP... why don't you just go to the university websites that you are interested in. They have all these details readily available. I thought those fancy Bachelor of Arts degrees taught you how to do research well, or is all that just a bunch of propaganda pushed out by broke pseudo-intellectuals trying to justify their existence?

Casa
09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels
Actually, lots of grad students are new immigrants that can't get a job related to their education because they don't have "Canadian" experience, so a lot of them go take a masters hoping that will be their "in".

And to the OP... why don't you just go to the university websites that you are interested in. They have all these details readily available. I thought those fancy Bachelor of Arts degrees taught you how to do research well, or is all that just a bunch of propaganda pushed out by broke pseudo-intellectuals trying to justify their existence?

i've visited the websites before, i just wanted to see what other people's experiences have been with applying/going to graduate school's have been =)

cressida_pimpin
09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Casa
I know this is a pretty general question, but I'm curious about how tough it is to get into graduate school. I'm going to be applying next summer for a graduate school probably for Education. Is it all based on your marks? I mean, does volunteering have to do with anything? Are they looking for 4.0 GPA's? anyone here have any experience applying to Graduate school, especially for education? and lastly, is it benefical to apply to a lot of school's, such as 5-10? thanks everyone.

oh and EDIT: i'm a 3rd year Polisci student going to one of the top undergrad schools in Canada, but undergrad doesn't matter to much right?

You're going into education, so I'm assuming you mean an M.Ed? Some schools will require you to take the GRE which may have a significant bearing on your acceptance. Graduate schools, depending on how "good" they are, require different GPAs. Volunteering doesn't matter for most grad schools, they will focus on your GRE and undergrad GPA.

Just curious, what is it exactly that you plan on doing with a master's after completing a poli sci degree??:dunno:

Originally posted by Penis McNickels
I thought those fancy Bachelor of Arts degrees taught you how to do research well, or is all that just a bunch of propaganda pushed out by broke pseudo-intellectuals trying to justify their existence?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Skyline_Addict
09-29-2008, 10:40 AM
having some work experience in your related field is not a technical necessity, but i think it is a personal necessity, before applying for a post-graduate degree/certification.

your undergrad degree DOES matter. it just doesn't matter as much where you get your undergrad degree - especially in comparison to where you get you grad degree.

depending on what field you're in, work experience will probably be looked at closely from both your employers' standpoint and the schools' standpoint. remember, employers will sponsor their employees' education advancement if they see a good reason for it. it really depends on what you're looking for from your degree.

if you're looking for steady career advancement, I would suggest getting work experience related to your field before or while doing your grad degree (i.e an MBA for someone in Finance/Consulting/Banking). i don't think companies these days are too fond about hiring someone with an MBA who went to school for 7-8 straight years and has no work experience. you'll probably get hired, but start out at the same level as someone fresh out of finishing their undergrad degree. i mean, barring a couple years of education, you would really have nothing over the other person. work experience is key.

if you're an academic who is looking to advance yourself in the field, purely for scholarly reasons, then perhaps going straight into a masters'/PhD is a good idea. i'm sure however, that some mandatory work experience/volunteering would be included in the learning.

my advice is to not worry about the numbers (what GPA, how many places to apply, how many years) and ask the questions that will help you answer as to why you would want to further your education and what's in it for you.

Casa
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I think after studying everything, I have decided what I want to do. I'll finish my BA with a PoliSci degree. Than I want to do a concurrent two year degree of a B. Ed and my teacher's certification from another University, like Brock or Toronto or Wilfred-Laurier. Thus, I will have my BA and my B.Ed. Than I'll apply to become a teacher probably. So no need for graduate school. I'd also apply to write my LSAT as well after my BA is completed, and we'll see how that goes.

Casa
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
having some work experience in your related field is not a technical necessity, but i think it is a personal necessity, before applying for a post-graduate degree/certification.

your undergrad degree DOES matter. it just doesn't matter as much where you get your undergrad degree - especially in comparison to where you get you grad degree.

depending on what field you're in, work experience will probably be looked at closely from both your employers' standpoint and the schools' standpoint. remember, employers will sponsor their employees' education advancement if they see a good reason for it. it really depends on what you're looking for from your degree.

if you're looking for steady career advancement, I would suggest getting work experience related to your field before or while doing your grad degree (i.e an MBA for someone in Finance/Consulting/Banking). i don't think companies these days are too fond about hiring someone with an MBA who went to school for 7-8 straight years and has no work experience. you'll probably get hired, but start out at the same level as someone fresh out of finishing their undergrad degree. i mean, barring a couple years of education, you would really have nothing over the other person. work experience is key.

if you're an academic who is looking to advance yourself in the field, purely for scholarly reasons, then perhaps going straight into a masters'/PhD is a good idea. i'm sure however, that some mandatory work experience/volunteering would be included in the learning.

my advice is to not worry about the numbers (what GPA, how many places to apply, how many years) and ask the questions that will help you answer as to why you would want to further your education and what's in it for you.

you have absolutely solid advice. Thanks a lot man.

Skyline_Addict
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM

you have absolutely solid advice. Thanks a lot man.

no worries. i'd just like to add, that most people (especially those without solid work experience/background) make the mistake of believing that more years of school translates to higher pay.

while furthering yourself will definetely open doors for you along your career path, it doesn't mean you will see it reward you on your first day in the real world. that's why it's called a career path - you start at pretty much the same place as everyone else, but where you go from there is up to you.

my advice is to further your education and development as part of the career/life process. as you see doors which can be opened, then re-evaluate yourself. you should have more of a reason to go to school (especially for so long) than a perceived increase in salary.

i guess that i'm just one of those more sappy folk who truly believes that life isn't ALL about the money. not saying that that was what I was gathering from your original post. just going off on a bit of a tangent here, haha.

cressida_pimpin
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
I think after studying everything, I have decided what I want to do. I'll finish my BA with a PoliSci degree. Than I want to do a concurrent two year degree of a B. Ed and my teacher's certification from another University, like Brock or Toronto or Wilfred-Laurier. Thus, I will have my BA and my B.Ed. Than I'll apply to become a teacher probably. So no need for graduate school. I'd also apply to write my LSAT as well after my BA is completed, and we'll see how that goes.

What do you plan on teaching? If you want to teach grade school you need a degree in a high school subject (math, science, english etc)

rc2002
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Really? I know high school teachers who don't have a degree in the subjects they taught.

cressida_pimpin
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Really? I know high school teachers who don't have a degree in the subjects they taught.

Yea that's true for sure. For instance a math teacher was maybe a science major or a social studies teacher was an english major. However, they all have degrees in a high school subject. And Poli Sci, well.... you get the idea

Gainsbarre
09-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

Yea that's true for sure. For instance a math teacher was maybe a science major or a social studies teacher was an english major. However, they all have degrees in a high school subject. And Poli Sci, well.... you get the idea

Yes, poli sci = social studies.

believe
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
sort of a thread jack, but anybody have experience applying to graduate studies for engineering? Specifically the M.Eng program (as apposed to a M.Sc), but people with experience in either are welcome to respond

TIA

Penis McNickels
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
^^
-Have a minimum GPA of 3.3/4
-Get reference letters
-Request transcripts to be sent to the shcool you are applying at
-Fill out the form
-Submit

QED.

Casa
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

no worries. i'd just like to add, that most people (especially those without solid work experience/background) make the mistake of believing that more years of school translates to higher pay.

while furthering yourself will definetely open doors for you along your career path, it doesn't mean you will see it reward you on your first day in the real world. that's why it's called a career path - you start at pretty much the same place as everyone else, but where you go from there is up to you.

my advice is to further your education and development as part of the career/life process. as you see doors which can be opened, then re-evaluate yourself. you should have more of a reason to go to school (especially for so long) than a perceived increase in salary.

i guess that i'm just one of those more sappy folk who truly believes that life isn't ALL about the money. not saying that that was what I was gathering from your original post. just going off on a bit of a tangent here, haha.

haha i know what you're saying. higher education doesn't mean CEO type pay. Understood. Thats why I think i'll just go get my B.Ed after I get my BA with a Poli Sci degree. I can teach english, social, history, if i get my B.Ed, i called around and asked. I don't think i can teach math haha.
Anyone know a good school to get a B.Ed concurrent degree?

cressida_pimpin
10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
U of L is widely recognized for its excellence in education degrees. Are you looking for a second degree or a combined degree? If you want your B.Ed as a second degree, you cant do it concurrently, you have to finish your BA first.

riced
10-01-2008, 07:51 PM
is GPA a big big requirement to get into graduate school?
I've read some requirements saying that we need several references, experience in the field whether it is volunteering or an actual job, etc..

Like, if you had a 2.5-3.0GPA with good experience from working/volunteering in the field with good references, would they still try you out?

cressida_pimpin
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by riced
Like, if you had a 2.5-3.0GPA with good experience from working/volunteering in the field with good references, would they still try you out?

Chances = Slim to none.

riced
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
That goes for all degrees or just the poli sci?
Tough luck eh

TC2002
10-01-2008, 10:07 PM

haha i know what you're saying. higher education doesn't mean CEO type pay. Understood. Thats why I think i'll just go get my B.Ed after I get my BA with a Poli Sci degree. I can teach english, social, history, if i get my B.Ed, i called around and asked. I don't think i can teach math haha.
Anyone know a good school to get a B.Ed concurrent degree?

U of L is highly recognized and a huge part of their admission process is based on GPA. I think when I asked them about it, they said that a 3.7 is a safe number when applying. You would also have to take Educ 2500 through them, which is basically planting you in a classroom for X amount of hours. You can also waive that course through volunteering. I have an electronic copy of the handbook still if you're interested in flipping through and taking a look at it. Just PM me.

I went to U of C and learned a TON about 21st century teaching methods through inquiry. That's what they are known for. I have heard people having a horrible experience, and quite honestly, it is prof based and independent study based (well, I think so anyway) and I was lucky enough to have some really awesome profs. They have the MT program, which gives you a B.Ed. An M.Ed. is something different and I'm pretty certain you need a B.Ed. to get in to that (i.e. a BA. will not cut it).

U of T is good. OISE is well respected in Canada.
http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/oise/

Apparantly U of S is well respected for Educ as well (in the CBE anyway), depending on your focus.

Some ideas for you to run on.

cressida_pimpin
10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TC2002

An M.Ed. is something different and I'm pretty certain you need a B.Ed. to get in to that (i.e. a BA. will not cut it).

An instructor I had, held a BA, B.Mgt, MA and a M.Ed. So I don't think you need a B.Ed to get an M.Ed.

From what I understand, the M.Ed is a thesis based degree.