PDA

View Full Version : How to clean or polish these rims???

ekguy
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
The rims on my car seem to have either really bad break dust, dirt that's caked on or maybe even what might be minor rust spots.

What products could I use to get them to a decent shine again? This would only be to tide me over till I put my winters on and then at that point hopefully just for the first part of spring until I get new rims. But it's bugging me since the rest of the car is always nice and shiny.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/my%20new%20car/IMG_0291.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/my%20new%20car/IMG_0265.jpg

Are those pics good enough to tell what I should be using?? I was told it depended what the rims were made of...Any help would be great.

wardpr68
09-29-2008, 09:42 AM
i use simple green diluted with water... at LEAST 1 part simple green 1 part water. Maybe go 1 part simple green 2 parts water.

Don' let it sit too long and make sure u rinse it thoroughly.

If that doesn't work Spray it on again and try rubbing them clean with a towel and then rinse.

If that still doesn't get them clean get some polish like Eagle Aluminum and mag polish and use that.

I have brought rims that looked brown/yellow back to silver shine with that method.

ekguy
09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
would Walmart or C.Tire have both those products?? I'd like to this today if it's nice out.

spikerS
09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
also try CLR and a buffing ball from c.tire. Those buffing balls are awesome.

and yeah, you can get simple green at c.tire as well, and it is pretty good stuff.

ekguy
09-29-2008, 10:12 AM
thanks guys will pick up today after classes for sure.

rc2002
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I just cleaned my wheels on the weekend. There was a bunch of small black spots that looked like dirt but it was actually tar from all the road construction this season.

I took some bug&tar remover to it and it looks like new now.

ekguy
09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
thanks RichardChan. Will try those 2 products first and will pick up some of the tar and bug remover and will use that depending on whats on my wheels. Going for a little mini shoot with another Legend coupe driver so want her all shined up and good to go haha.