PDA

View Full Version : Ford Mustang vs. Dodge Challenger ('08s)

hypnotoad
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Which one is better? They both have that old fashioned 70's look to them, but which is the best ride?

Destinova403
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
go drive them both?

and good luck finding an 08 challenger... they only sold 500 of them in Canada and they cost a fortune... the one you want is the 09 RT with the 6-speed.

SJW
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Garbage vs. Garbage

Kloubek
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Garbage? I've never been a Ford fan at all, but as a company Ford has made leaps and bounds with their quality in the last few years. Further to that, the Mustang was rated as the highest quality car Ford is building. (Think I read that in consumer reports)

Both are fast. Both look good.

My personal choice would be the challenger, although truth be known I'd likely wait until the Camaro is available instead.

narou
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
+1 for the challanger

Masked Bandit
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I for one can't wait for the resurrection of all the old school comparo's of the Mustang vs. Camaro and now the Challenger. Back to the days when muscle cars sounded like a real machine and they are all rwd. No more of the extreme-can opener toys.

Probably the biggest threat to these new muscle cars is what killed them back in the '70's.....price of gas (and insurance).

Weapon_R
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Probably the biggest threat to these new muscle cars is what killed them back in the '70's.....price of gas (and insurance).

No, the biggest threat today is the Imports which can run circles around any of them. Muscle cars had their time...in the 70s, and they couldn't hold on when Imports were nearly non-existent. These cars will come and go just like every other fad in the automotive industry.

Redlyne_mr2
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
The problem with the challenger is that it was a concept car for so long that by the time it was released it was obsolete. Technology in cars has evolved to quickly in the last few years that challenger really doesnt have anything to bring to the table. Well see what happens with the camaro.

NickGT
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Uhmmmmmm............................Challenger no no wait Mustang :D

Good luck with your choice. Both are very great looking vehicles. I can't speak for the challenger but I love my Mustang GT.

mark4091
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

No, the biggest threat today is the Imports which can run circles around any of them. Muscle cars had their time...in the 70s, and they couldn't hold on when Imports were nearly non-existent. These cars will come and go just like every other fad in the automotive industry.

Depends which imports we're talking here. German, Italian ect will of course take these cars, but you're average japanese car won't come close.

Eleanor
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Challenger :drool:

And in response to Nismo, as long as there are men who sweat beer and bleed oil there will always be a place for muscle in the market.

NickGT
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Challenger :drool:

And in response to Nismo, as long as there are men who sweat beer and bleed oil there will always be a place for muscle in the market.

:clap:

Moe Man
10-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

what???? because they save more on gas?????

what the fuck are you talking about :werd:

dino_martini
10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Challenger

Lets not kid ourselves though, its no Lotus Elise. It handles way better then a 1970 Challenger did, but its not perfect.

Interesting car. I think Renfrew Chrysler has one sitting in their showroom. The 09's have a manual transmission. Thats the one I would buy.

NickGT
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
This might help you.. Info from Motortrend

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/chart1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/nickgt/chart2.jpg

hypnotoad
10-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Challenger

Lets not kid ourselves though, its no Lotus Elise. It handles way better then a 1970 Challenger did, but its not perfect.

Interesting car. I think Renfrew Chrysler has one sitting in their showroom. The 09's have a manual transmission. Thats the one I would buy.

Pembroke Chrysler has one too.

Masked Bandit
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
By looking through those charts the Mustang GT 5-speed seems to be quite the bargain.

Looks like the biggest "issue" with the Challenger is it's weight.

4doorj
10-03-2008, 08:40 AM
i say challenger:drool:
they look sooooo good
and it sounds amazing

Moe Man
10-03-2008, 09:05 AM
yes but in real life you cant buy a GT500 for 44k

Mitsu3000gt
10-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SJW
Garbage vs. Garbage

nismoblurr
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah both are garbage... nothing special about either...

NickGT
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
By looking through those charts the Mustang GT 5-speed seems to be quite the bargain.

Looks like the biggest "issue" with the Challenger is it's weight.

Bingo! The 5spd Auto is just as fast too. :D

Originally posted by Moe Man
yes but in real life you cant buy a GT500 for 44k

I've heard of guys getting sticker on them lately. Shit there's 3 of them sitting at advantage and they've been there for awhile now. They've even started doing radio ads to try and move them.

BTW thats $USD on the charts ...

Toms-SC
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Garbage vs. Garbage

Stick to the hypermileing Honda.

Toms-SC
10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by nismoblurr
Yeah both are garbage... nothing special about either...

Please expand oh wise one.

dynamo
10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
holy shit, challenger just came into work couple hours ago!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/benchung/IMG_0124.jpg

6.1L HEMI lmao i find this ride fucking sexy, and way better then the mustang

Grogador
10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Cruised back from Radium in my buddie's Mustang, the power is nice but I found it uncomfortable, poor interior finish and toooo heavy to toss around on those twisties. Challenger looks 1000x better too... take one for a spin!

dynamo
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
STEERING WHEEL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/benchung/IMG_0127.jpg

COMFY FUCKING SEATS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/benchung/IMG_0128.jpg

ASS SHOT, CO WORKER LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/benchung/IMG_0130.jpg

seany99119
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
ZOMG wanna know the best part about both these cars meant for rednecks with hefty wallets who are just a little bored of their trucks howzabout dat?

Clever
10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by seany99119
ZOMG wanna know the best part about both these cars meant for rednecks with hefty wallets who are just a little bored of their trucks howzabout dat?

wow, really?

:facepalm:

Aesthetically, i like the mustang better, but damn those challengers look bad ass.

Destinova403
10-03-2008, 11:39 PM

in terms of performance, they dont look too far off of eachother... not enough that if you are buying it as a daily driver youll notice it.

again... suggestion: just head out and drive them both and decide which one you want

i still say the R/T 6-speed is the one to have.

Dumbass17
10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
garbage?!?!!?

muscle > import

dino_martini
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
garbage?!?!!?

muscle > import

Your on Beyond, you will never convince anyone of that ever. If Toyota brought back the Supra, everyone on here would be circle jerking themselves into next week.

On Beyond, GM/Ford/Chrysler have not and will not make a good car.

Dumbass17
10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Your on Beyond, you will never convince anyone of that ever. If Toyota brought back the Supra, everyone on here would be circle jerking themselves into next week.

On Beyond, GM/Ford/Chrysler have not and will not make a good car.

i know, just pokin the bear

510-Trevor
10-04-2008, 12:04 PM
My vote is for the 2009 ChallengerR/T . (surprise)

Only get the 6 speed if you like burning off $400 tires and using up clutches. The 6 speeds also don't come with MDS. The AutoStick works fine for most applications.

Mechanically my Charger R/T is the same as a Challenger R/T (the '09 5.7 Hemi has more power though) and I was really surprised at how comfortable this car is around town and on the highway. And if I want to have some fun turning the tires all it takes is turning off the ESP. Handling wise, its no slot car, but it sticks to the road good for a big car.

EDIT

A790
10-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh man. Oh man.

*Twitches trigger finger*

Moe Man
10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor
My vote is for the Challenger. (surprise)

Only get the 6 speed if you like burning off $400 tires and using up clutches. The 6 speeds also don't come with MDS. The AutoStick works fine for most applications.

Mechanically my Charger is the same as a Challenger (the '09 Hemi has more power though) and I was really surprised at how comfortable this car is around town and on the highway. And if I want to have some fun turning the tires all it takes is turning off the ESP. Handling wise, its no slot car, but it sticks to the road good for a big car.

you have the 5.7 not the 6.1, so its not the same mechanically!

510-Trevor
10-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

you have the 5.7 not the 6.1, so its not the same mechanically!
:drama:

exxccuuussseee meee!!!

I missed he was talking 08's (as did those who mentioned 6spds) As such I will edit my previous comment so not to offend anybody else. LOL

95teetee
10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I raced an SRT-8 Chally the other night. He got half a length on me off the light (I didn't launch) and I couldn't gain on him. First time that's happened to me on the street- I don't mean to say my car is superfast, but I pick my spots lol. The Challenger kept a half-length to a full length on me through second gear (up to about 125-130). I was surprised...
btw, there are 3 in Drumheller- two orange and a black- the orange ones are '500' models- not sure about the black one.

Clever
10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
And this said race was done at the track right? Right? :devil:

Street racing FTL!

Originally posted by 95teetee
I raced an SRT-8 Chally the other night. He got half a length on me off the light (I didn't launch) and I couldn't gain on him. First time that's happened to me on the street- I don't mean to say my car is superfast, but I pick my spots lol. The Challenger kept a half-length to a full length on me through second gear (up to about 125-130). I was surprised...
btw, there are 3 in Drumheller- two orange and a black- the orange ones are '500' models- not sure about the black one.

tm88
10-04-2008, 06:36 PM
yea, the track we dont have...

Clever
10-04-2008, 06:42 PM
sshh.... Beyond crucifies everyone that takes part in street racing. Just trying to give the guy a chance. :burnout:

Drumheller has a track right?Right.:devil:

95teetee
10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
sorry guys- I tried to delete that after I posted it, but I couldn't, and now I feel shame:(

it wan't really a 'race- just seeing who's quicker off a light...in a safe and controlled way...

and....

ummm

my bad

p.s. I love the facepalm

what I really meant to say is "the Chally's fairly quick"