PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Questions...looking for advice

FreakinSaprykin
10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, just a couple questions I have about a set of Michelin X-Ice winter tires I'm about to purchase. I have a 2001 Honda civic Lx, and the tire size for those is 185/70r14. However on the Canadian tire website (where I'm purchasing the tires from), it doesn't list that size for this tire. The closest one is 185/75r14 89Q. My first question is, does this make a significant difference, and will it be ok to install these on my car.

Secondly, I keep reading about the Nokian Hakka's being the best, but I've always been okay on my all season tires, and so I don't want to spend a lot, hence the Michelin X-Ice. If anyone has tried the Michelin X-ice before, how are they on ice, is it good enough for city driving? Is it a noticeable upgrade on all season tires or is it minimal?

Lastly, should I get the balancing with the installation at the extra cost?

Thanks for any help, I'm a noob at all this. :confused:

ExtraSlow
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Does anywhere mount tires and not balance them? It's pretty important, and I would think that any decent shop would include this in the price. Unballanced tires can cause sterring wheel vibrations and other issues.

Ferio_vti
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
No Ice-X is not available in 185/70r14, based on the Michelin website.

Even the cheapest winter tires is better than expensive all-seasons.
Save yourself the trouble of dealing with CT and the lousy service and PM/call Tirebob on Beyond. He has good prices/service and knows tires.

DannyO
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
+1 for Tirebob, great service and great prices, never going anywhere for tires again.

fast95pony
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Regardless of brand,you will notice a big difference.Winter tires give far better grip in snow and ice than all (no) season tires.

msommers
10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh no, incoming all retards supporting all-seasons as God's gift to cars.

Boosted Gtir
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Tire Bob is the shit. Very friendly guy and awesome to deal with. :thumbsup: