PDA

View Full Version : Help...Taxi Driver Wants Money from an accident that never happened

alomke
10-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi you all,
Just wanted to know.....my friend drove (moved) my car 2 metres from where i had parked it while i was just buying a hot dog....from what i heard, he ran into a taxi. I came back and the taxi driver was saying that my friend hit his bumper....apparently when i came, there was no contact btn the two vehicles and the taxi driver claimed that he had moved his car......There was no any visible damage to any of the cars. cops showed up immediately and my friend was arrested because he was not supposed to drive in the first case....Now the taxi guy keeps on calling and claiming he's taking the matter to my INSURANCE. THE COPS DIDN'T GIVE ME ANY PAPER WORK BECAUSE THERE WAS NO DAMAGE SEEN/VISIBLE...my friend was charged and later released....what should i do in this case....? is the cab driver being honest or its just a way of making money....at first he was asking for $450 then 450......

I have been hit more than 3 times in the past year but i let pple go because there has never been any damage to my car....

alomke
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
my friend was charged because he was serving a suspension...not because he hit a vehicle(as claimed by the taxi guy) THANKS

natejj
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Uhh... ignore him and tell him to call your insurance? Let them deal with him, stick to your story.

Canmorite
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM
wat

Oldskool
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Tell him that it's illegal to speak with you about the matter, and the only one he can talk to is the insurance company... maybe that'll shut him up.

Stunt66
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by alomke
....at first he was asking for $450 then 450......

That guys got some nerve asking for $450 then changing his mind to 450

powerslave
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

Bahaha... classic!

88jbody
10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
maybe you should try and meet up with this guy and make sure he didn't damage it after he went around the corner. and trying to just get money out of you.
take pictures of his car and "damage"

then tell him to call the insurance company

Jlude
10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
meet up with him then bust his fuckin' head open!

or you could just tell him to fuck off and call your insurance company the next time he calls.

rmk
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
your story sounds fishy.

JRSC00LUDE
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM

That all depends, 450 what?

signature7
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM

HAHA

Story sounds odd, like it has some missing ends.

alomke
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
sorry...he asked $450 then $400...my bad

tm88
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
taxi drivers, one of the least honest professions. I will not begin to tell you all of the stories however i will share a couple.

1st, in Lethbridge for the first time a few years back. Call for a cab to go to some country bar called essies. We call from our hotel and the cab driver tells us its close. He drives around the parking lot 3 times saying he couldnt find the exit. Sure enough he pulls around back and we are there. 2 seconds from our hotel room door and he charges us 10$.

2nd) I call for a cab to head down to the rhino. I say be here at 9 30. well i go outside with friends at 930 and he is there. We get in the car and half way down he says he waited for 10 minutes and is going to charge us wait time. When we say f**k that he says he will drop us off on glenmore otherwise. Paying the extra $10 or whatever was worth not hitching for a ride on glenmore.

Anyways, if you cannot tell....cabbies piss me off. Tell him that you would like to meet him and pay him. Then just take a pic of the car. This way he cant try anything to the car. And ask where the damage is. Then leave it be. If insurance contacts you show them the pics.

frozenrice
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

That all depends, 450 what?

rupees?

Find out from your arrested friend who the attenting cops were and try to track them down. Once you get a hold of them explain the situation and see if they'll back you up.

schocker
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
....apparently when i came, there was no contact btn the two vehicles and the taxi driver claimed that he had moved his car......
:rofl:

go talk to the cops, or make something up about insurance and how you know he has no damage and that he is trying to scam you.

5hift
10-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Gotta agree with tm88, there are some, but most cabbies are not honest at all.

Next time he calls, tell him to fuck off. Tell him the next time you hear from him, you will file a harassment report with CPS, not to mention call his cab company and then file a complaint to Calgary's taxi commision about his extortion attempts. Lastly mention your uncle works for Public Works in the ASC (Audit Services Canada) department, and because the cabbie is trying to make your life hard, your going to return the favor. There isnt a single cabbie that honestly claims what he actually earns, and the word audit usually sends them running for the hills.

88jbody
10-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I like 5hift's idea, but I would try and get a look at the car and pictures to make sure he hasn't tried to make some damage. pretend you are going to pay it, meet take a picture then say never mind and leave.

then carry out 5hift's idea

Eleanor
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
F*uck his daughter? :dunno:

BigWill
10-01-2008, 06:48 PM
punch him in his dick... if not proceed with 5hifts idea
just my 2 cents

alomke
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
thank you guys for your opinions...i think i'll meet up with him tomorrow evening and take pictures....thank you so very much

DayGlow
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
FYI if your friend is a suspended driver your insurance won't cover you and could jack your rates or even drop you if they get wind of this.

em2ab
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Was it a fat Mexican looking guy with bad English? I was getting a repair sticker at the district 4 station today and some cabbie was there giving a statement about his damage. He said it's under $1000.

DJ_NAV
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
AHAHAHA taking a taxi to go to ESSIES!!!!!.. PRICELESS... i understand you may have been from out of town.. but google maps is your friend, so is front desk.

alomke
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
em2ab....he looks asian with bad english yes...it was night time so i cant remember if he was either mexican or asian.....and he's fat but not very

em2ab
10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
em2ab....he looks asian with bad english yes...it was night time so i cant remember if he was either mexican or asian.....and he's fat but not very

I can't remember the guy totally but he looks like the kind to start gabbering at the slightest thing that pisses him off. He was at the cop shop in Marlborough today, I think the cop mentioned they're going to phone the other party (you) to come in and give a statement.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh man, you're actually about to get jewed by the biggest scum of the earth

ianmcc
10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by tm88

1st, in Lethbridge for the first time a few years back. Call for a cab to go to some country bar called essies. We call from our hotel and the cab driver tells us its close. He drives around the parking lot 3 times saying he couldnt find the exit. Sure enough he pulls around back and we are there. 2 seconds from our hotel room door and he charges us 10$.

Esmereldas in the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel!
Ah, good times! Back in the 80's they used to have 50 cent shooters on Wednesdays. Double Jacks FTW!!!

Buffalo Soldier
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I fucken hate cab drivers. my 2 cents: Don't take a cab by yourself when you are fucken fubar drunk. They will steal your wallet.

Eleanor
10-02-2008, 10:53 AM
^ wat

topmade
10-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Nobody has asked this, but what did your friend say? Did he actually hit him or not? Or maybe he is denying it because he had a suspended license. Tell him to be 100% honest with you.

Xtrema
10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
FYI if your friend is a suspended driver your insurance won't cover you and could jack your rates or even drop you if they get wind of this.

I agree with DayGlow. It's unfortunate you got blackmailed. And I'm sure the cab driver sense that you don't want this to go to insurance. It'll cost you way more than $400 down the road if you get dropped.

Should have filed a stolen car report as the cops take you buddy away.

Now, just ask your buddy to man up and pay it if he really did drive your car into the cab.

alomke
10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
i was few metres away from my car......my friend says he never hit the car.....i was right there just seconds after the incident, but there was no contact, no slight marks/scratches on any of the vehicles.....when i asked the taxi driver about the damage he said it's inside the bumper:!!....
am mad @ my friend too because he wasnt supposed to drive my car and when i left to get a hot dog, he was on the passenger seat and too bad that i left the key in the ignition to keep the radio on even though the engine wasn't running.....

Xtrema
10-02-2008, 06:14 PM
It's not your fault.

But a suspended driver in the drive seat in your car with a complain with that said driver taken away by police. Even if you're in the right, it just doesn't look good.

em2ab
10-02-2008, 08:40 PM
This isn't your problem.

1. You weren't even in the car, it was parked, not moving and someone says it hit their car = impossible.
2. Your friend jacked your ride and hit someone else's car = not your problem.

I'd tell the cab to talk to your friend about it, it's not your fault.