PDA

View Full Version : Image Verification

bashir26
10-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Hate it.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/d-i-d-d-y/image.jpg

TomcoPDR
10-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Yea and sometimes the scribble makes it so hard to understand what's underneath.

prae
10-03-2008, 09:18 AM
the interesting part about recaptcha is that it is using distributed human effort to help digitize old text. So at least with that particular "brand" of captcha you are doing something useful:

reCAPTCHA improves the process of digitizing books by sending words that cannot be read by computers to the Web in the form of CAPTCHAs for humans to decipher. More specifically, each word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is placed on an image and used as a CAPTCHA. This is possible because most OCR programs alert you when a word cannot be read correctly.

I agree that captchas in general are annoying as fuck but in many cases they are a somewhat necessary evil, to prevent automated registration and spammers... etc etc.

adam c
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM
if a computer can't read the word then how is it going to know if someone puts in the correct word?

van
10-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I hate those things but I think they are pretty necessary, the old ones are the worst where you can't even read it and you keep putting in the wrong letters.. or sometimes you put in the right ones and they say it's wrong still haha.

em2ab
10-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I hate them too. I took them off my forum and just put in a static question like, "Type the word car in this box --->". Any computer that comes along to sign up leaves out that box because it's not expecting it, registration fails and it moves onto the next forum. I haven't had a spam bot in a year or more.

Casa
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
its really gay

prae
10-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by adam c
if a computer can't read the word then how is it going to know if someone puts in the correct word?

Adam, thats the reason there are two words. I believe one of the words has already been OCR'd correctly and the other is unknown. It looks at the one it already "knows" and the one it doesnt know as well, and if you get most of it right it will pass...

they so some statistical analysis as well, they dont trust just one persons input on the unknown word.

it is a pretty interesting system, their website has more info.

Eleanor
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
There was one forum I was on (can't remember which one) where you needed to do it for every fucking search. It was the most annoying thing.

jwslam
10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
it's worse when it has numbers letters and symbols and it's fucking case sensitive

or those stupid ones like rapid share "type in all the letters without a cat"

dj_rice
10-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

or those stupid ones like rapid share "type in all the letters without a cat"

Thats for Rapidshare, sometimes its so hard cuz it looks like all them have cats
:rofl: