A790
10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Globefish Sushi Marda Loop - #1 2009 33 Ave. SW - 403-249-8866

Ambiance: 3.5/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Summary: Globefish is an example of what a modern, well composed sushi restaurant can be capable of given enough attention to detail and the care to produce some truly spectacular fish.

Introduction:

A friend recommended Globefish to me after a trip to Sushi Ginza (for the 3rd time - review coming later). Living just down the street from Southcentre, Sushi Ginza had become a favourite of mine because it is a few minutes away from my door and the food has always been great.

Reluctantly I agreed to join her for a 5pm dinner, and over the course of that dinner I would find my new favourite sushi restaurant.

Service:

Many sushi restaurants have less than stellar service, and I was relieved to see that Globefish, like Ginza, had excellent service. Our server was attentive and responsive to our needs, however ridiculous they occasionally were (no explanation is needed here, trust me).

The staff seemed friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and the various methods by which the sushi was prepared. This helped out my companion a bit more than it did me, but it is good to know that the staff knows their stuff.

Atmosphere:

The atmosphere is modern, with LCD TV's displaying whatever happens to be on (it was golf the last time I was there). Dark wood dominates the dining room and sushi bar, though I find it quite tasteful.

It is a very warm and inviting atmosphere, though I prefer somewhat dimmer lighting when dining.

Food:

The sushi and sashimi are nothing short of fantastic. The fish is obviously fresh and cut perfectly. Not only that, but everything is portioned to just the right size.

The spicy/crunchy tuna roll wound up being my favourite, as it so often is, as it had several minor differences from most restaurants that set it apart. The KFC roll wasn't exactly fantastic, but it was good for what it was (I don't come to a sushi restaurant to eat fried chicken, but c'mon, it's the freakin KFC roll.

All of our pieces were delectable. I will be back over and over again to sample more of the menu.

Conclusion:

Globefish lived up to the high expectations that I had for it- something that doesn't happen often. This may very well be Calgary's best place for sushi.

nonlinear
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
great review

will have to try this place out very soon

LOL @ KFC roll :rofl:

toyboy88
10-03-2008, 04:05 PM
You JUST tried Globefish?!

You've been missing out for a while...! ;)

A790
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
You JUST tried Globefish?!

You've been missing out for a while...! ;)
I've been there a few dozen times. This review is actually a few months old. I just posted it today ;)

LadyLuck
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I checked out the one on 14th a little while ago, was very impressed with the new set up and really enjoyed the food.

8/10

nonlinear
10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
i've never been to globefish

i used to live right near WA's and would always go there. now i live in heritage, so it's nice to hear there is a globefish in marda loop (fairly close to me)

mekeni
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
tagged...

A790
10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mekeni
tagged...
?

imjimmylin
10-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I use to eat at Globefish atleast 3 times a week then I moved :( I was literally 2 blocks away! The food was always great, pretty good portions too.

jsn
10-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Not bad at all, but I prefer Towa

dj_rice
10-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Not bad at all, but I prefer Towa

Towa has awesome rolls :thumbsup:

Have to hit up Globefish when I visit Cowtown soon

hadookin
10-03-2008, 06:58 PM
what about price? comparable to other resturaunts?

A790
10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by hadookin
what about price? comparable to other resturaunts?
Comparable, perhaps a bit more expensive.

jsn
10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd say it's somewhat expensive. The rolls are priced at around the same price as the rolls at Towa, but at Towa they're larger and more filling and taste (in my opinion) better than Globefish

Originally posted by dj_rice

Towa has awesome rolls :thumbsup:

Thats the main reason why I go. Can't get enough of them lol

pinoyhero
10-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Werd, fair write up, loving that place but still second to Zen8 in my books.

403lam
10-03-2008, 07:13 PM
marda loop > 14th street

Jerms
10-04-2008, 05:48 PM
globefish is an awesome modern japanese fushion joint.

pinoyhero
10-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 403lam
marda loop > 14th street

New or old 14th, the new one is supposed to be dope.