PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Questions....

kutt3r
10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I tried searching the forums to find an answer, but to no avail.

I am considering a diesel car for gas milage & 'green' thinking. I have not made a decision, but have started to research (google & consumer reports) and if I get something sooner than later it will probably be a VW TDI as I am looking for a car not a truck.

I am wondering about peoples personal experiences with diesel ie. winter driving, power, drive ability, maintence, performance etc...

I am in Okotoks and commute to Calgary and was thinking this might be a way to save some money.

Thanks for any help...

nismodrifter
10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Your friend will be www.tdiclub.com
Tons of info on TDI's, maintainence, economy there. I suggest reading the FAQ for alot of helpful info.

Here's an old thread of mine:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/96053/got-mileage-1247kms-on-a-tank-and-still-going/

Winter:
- Have NEVER EVER had an issue starting either of our TDI's in temps as low as -40. After cycling the glow plugs twice it started without any issues.
- Fuel "gelling" is not an issue to be worried about IMO. We've had at least 1 diesel in the garage for the past 20 years (Mercedes 300SD Turbo Diesel...and now 2 TDI's) and they have all seen extreme temps....the fuel has never gelled.

Maintainence:
- I change oil every 16k. Only thing here is that you have to be very particular about the oil that you use. I'm using Shell Rotella T synthetic oil (Get it at any Canadian Tire...it's always on sale). OEM filters are very cheap straight from the dealer.
- We've got 2 TDi's in the garage for many years now and the only problems we've encountered have been a defective MAF sensor (common problem in MKIV vw's) and glow plugs needed replacing (cheap and quick fix). The cars have been rock solid.

Driveability/Power:
- Low end power is the shit.
- Being able to rip through traffic without having to hit high RPM's is very fun.
- Tearing up the Coquihala in a fully loaded car is no problem. Pass anything and everything. New diesels are not slow smoke machines that everyone thinks about

Hit 200k last month. Still getting broken in :)
http://members.shaw.ca/nsuppal/MILESTONE1.JPG

If you have any more questions be sure to post them up.

Diesel FTW :burnout:

badatusrnames
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Green? Diesel engines emit more pollution that gasoline engines...

Better mileage, sure. But:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_matter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine#Emissions

toastgremlin
10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Diesels are promising; I've been thinking of a TDI Golf for my next car. I had been avoiding it because I was worried about a lack of available modifications and the glow plugs. After browsing TDIClub and talking to a few other owners, it seems there's a large body of modifications available, and that the glow plugs in modern VWs should start in -40 or worse. The low-end torque is pretty awesome -- some guys with modified Golfs have frame-welded trailer hitches to their cars and tow.

I drove an autotragic Jetta TDI a few months ago; it wasn't much fun at low speeds (although I think this one had been abused) but it was a ton of fun once I got up to 60kph. Based on petrol VWs I've driven, I think a manual gearbox would fix this.

The only problem I see so far is the relative dearth of used TDIs in Calgary, and the markup on them from clueless dealers. The 09 Jetta diesel should help take care of some of the bad perception here, along with the Subaru diesels.

I think a lot of the bad reputation surrounding diesel engines is because of Oldsmobile's rushed and atrocious diesel V8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine#Oldsmobile_Diesel_Problems) back in the 80s. These were utterly miserable engines.

A790
10-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Diesels are promising; I've been thinking of a TDI Golf for my next car. I had been avoiding it because I was worried about a lack of available modifications and the glow plugs. After browsing TDIClub and talking to a few other owners, it seems there's a large body of modifications available, and that the glow plugs in modern VWs should start in -40 or worse. The low-end torque is pretty awesome -- some guys with modified Golfs have frame-welded trailer hitches to their cars and tow.

I drove an autotragic Jetta TDI a few months ago; it wasn't much fun at low speeds (although I think this one had been abused) but it was a ton of fun once I got up to 60kph. Based on petrol VWs I've driven, I think a manual gearbox would fix this.

The only problem I see so far is the relative dearth of used TDIs in Calgary, and the markup on them from clueless dealers. The 09 Jetta diesel should help take care of some of the bad perception here, along with the Subaru diesels.

I think a lot of the bad reputation surrounding diesel engines is because of Oldsmobile's rushed and atrocious diesel V8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine#Oldsmobile_Diesel_Problems) back in the 80s. These were utterly miserable engines.
Try looking beyond Calgary. Van city + Edmonton have a few :)

510-Trevor
10-03-2008, 05:33 PM
My brother's brother inlaw used to run TDI's as a courier, he loved them. He did go thru turbos though (about every 400,000kms).

Assuming you're thinking of buying new. Make sure any emissions info you get is using modern diesel regulations. Diesel fuel was recently upgraded to european standards and is much cleaner than it was a couple years ago. If you watch newer Semi's, you'll notice a lack of black smoke under load. This is due to new emissions regulations. All 09's (cars and trucks) are running under the new regulations)

Check out this diesel, the olny smoke is from the tires:

Edit, I guess that youtube embed was a fail, here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6tgndIU8w

la6tgndIU8w

shin0bi
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
New diesels that use urea (yes, essentially pee) as a 'cleansing' method don't really pollute all that much. Ie. Mercedes Benz Bluetec diesel technology.

Lots of R + D is going into making diesels a good competator to gasoline. I'd go for a diesel long before considering a hybrid.

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Green? Diesel engines emit more pollution that gasoline engines...

Better mileage, sure. But:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_matter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine#Emissions

Ummm you are quoting Wiki for fact??? Nuf said... :dunno:

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 03:05 PM
nismodrifter - thanks for the link, it is great, even more interested in the TDI's now...other than the mark up and gouging and general unavailabilty I have been reading about... hoping to get into a dealership soon to see what it is like here to get them here.

Been looking at the 09 Wagon, looks pretty nice... might see what the 06's are like, but seeing as the resale is apparently so high, might as well just see if I can get a new one...

Hopefully I can get in for a test drive to try one out soon...

Where do you service yours?

I saw that they have one recoomended mechanic 'guru' in Calgary that is reccomended and from what I have read is that dealerships are the worst thing you can do to your TDI.... thoughts?

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r
:banghead:

badatusrnames
10-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r

Ummm you're taking the opinions of a bunch of strangers on the internet for fact??? Nuf said... :dunno:

I still don't understand the "green" part of your reasoning. If you want green, get a bicycle. Hybrids, "clean" diesel, etc, it's all lip service to the fuzzy ideal of environmental awareness - not many hydrocarbon powered vehicles are "green" in my opinion, especially when you consider the entire lifecycle from raw materials to final disposal.

Anyways, get a TDI.

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Ummm you're taking the opinions of a bunch of strangers on the internet for fact??? Nuf said... :dunno:

I still don't understand the "green" part of your reasoning. If you want green, get a bicycle. Hybrids, "clean" diesel, etc, it's all lip service to the fuzzy ideal of environmental awareness - not many hydrocarbon powered vehicles are "green" in my opinion, especially when you consider the entire lifecycle from raw materials to final disposal.

Anyways, get a TDI.

I agree that there are no vehicles that are commercially available that are 'green' when you look at full life cycle.

I think you are confused, I am not taking anyones opionion as fact...I realize that there is a difference.
I listened to your opinion and have read the articles, and made my own opinion that they are dated and pending review.. there are many sources and you pick and choose what makes the most sense backed by good science and formulate an another opinion... and like a$$holes there are a lot (general saying not calling you one, before you assume that), especially on the internet... I am not saying you are right or wrong, I am just saying wiki is not a solid source when compared to some of the ecco sites that are speciffically looking at light passanger vehicles. I think that the wiki is probably very correct when dealing with semi's and loccomotives.

I am not a granola eating hippie, I am going to drive a vehicle, try riding a bike in from Okotoks.... I do have the choice of trying to make the most responsible choice that I can based on what I need.
In looking into diesel, modern diesel seems to be quite reliable and economic in the sense of fuel milage and longevity and they are certainly not the polluters they used to be (we are talking small passanger cars here, not semi's which I agree are probably horrible polluters). There are guys out there with TDI's getting better milage than my 400lbs bike....
Am I going to pay 8k over MRSP as I have read is happening in dealerships in Van for a diesel... not likely, but that does not mean I am going to run out and buy a V8 truck that I have no purpose for either.
Do I think there are wiser choices yes, am I going to drive a Yaris, not f**kin' likely...but I think there are options out there that are good comprimises of driveability, fucntionality, reliability and ecco sense and that just happens to be the diesel at this moment. I could test drive one and hate it...but the data is compelling.
After seeing a number of enviromentalist speak at O&G functions I see there is a need to cut down carbon creation, but I know it is certainly not going to be my decision that will sway the balance, but if I can save some $$ commuting then I am all for that, which is burning less dino oil = good for everyone.

Holy crap am I bored at work today... sorry... they pay me way too much to sit around on forums all day...

dr_jared88
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Now I don't have any evidence to back this up but from what I've always heard is that diesels may produce more emissions while running however the refining of gasoline produces more harmful emissions then what you "saved" using gasoline.

Not sure how much truth is in that but it seems to make sense.

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Now I don't have any evidence to back this up but from what I've always heard is that diesels may produce more emissions while running however the refining of gasoline produces more harmful emissions then what you "saved" using gasoline.

Not sure how much truth is in that but it seems to make sense.

Hehe that is the beauty of this topic and why I think there is no real answer as I am not sure that anyone has the answer... but it is interesting to get the opinions (seeing as I am so bored...)

badatusrnames has the right answer, there are really no 'green' vehicels in the full life cycle, but 40-60mpg is complelling enough for me to at least consider them as a next vehicle as it is better than most.
:)