PDA

View Full Version : Review: TNK Vietnamese Restaurant

Lagerstatten.ca
10-03-2008, 08:34 PM
TNK Vietnamese Restaurant
770, 2220 - 68th Street NE
Calgary, Alberta T1Y 6Y7
Tel: 403.590.8686 (they also list 403.590.8557, not sure if it's a fax or not)

Sun-Thurs 11am to 9pm
Fri-Sat 11am - 10pm
Monday Closed

Visa/MC/Debit/Cash

Went here tonight for a quick dinner with some friends. The restaurant had it's grand opening yesterday, Oct 2nd 2008, so we decided to try it tonight as the opening rush would be gone.

We had the following dishes:
-Imperial Spring Rolls (Shrimp and Taro Root) 4 per order $5
-Prawn Salad Rolls 4 per order $6 (x2 as we were hungry)
-Pho Dac Biet (Deluxe Beef Noodle Soup) $8
-Banh Canh (Deluxe Thick Rice Noodle Soup) $8.50
-Bun Tom, Bo, Ga Nuong (Vermicelli w/ Charbroiled Prawn, Chicken and Beef) $9.25
-Bun Nem Nuong Chao Tom (Vermicelli w/ Shrimp Paste Charbroiled Pork Meat Ball) $9

Food: 4/5 (but that's because we're so use to eating at our local joint - Pho Rang Dong - but there's definitely more variety here!)

Service: 5/5 (great service, we each had our own dipping sauces for the spring rolls and salad rolls...awesome!)

Price: 5/5 It's on par with the other Vietnamese restaurants around town. Nothing outrageous like The Orchid Room at Bankers Hall.

Overall: I like the place and I'll definitely be bringing family there next time to try it out. All the tables are well spaced out (meaning they actually meet the fire code - unlike Vietnamese Village on 7th Ave and 8th Street SW). Decor is nice and there's tons of parking!

Whenever I try out a new Viet restaurant, I always try the soup before adding anything. And to my surprise the soup in the Banh Canh was perfect. Didn't need anything added to it. A squeeze of lime and a bit of hot sauce and it was delicious :)

dj_rice
10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
The pricing looks pretty good compared to other places

CRXguy
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
sweet. it's close to my house too.

pinoyhero
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Sweet, ha guys!

flipstah
10-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Is that near the Petro-Canada and the Co-Op Monterey?

If so, might try it out. Near my house too! :D

Lagerstatten.ca
10-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Yup it's in that little strip mall area by the McDonald's.

JfuckinC
10-03-2008, 10:31 PM
gross you guys are from the NEEEE.

im gunna try it out next week though lol

SoSlowDx
10-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I went with Lagerstatten and everything was pretty good!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

SoSlowDx
10-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
sweet. it's close to my house too.

Dude you live far :facepalm: :rofl:

petoria
10-05-2008, 09:07 AM
i've been waiting 10 years for a pho place to open up in monteray :D

gonefishing
10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm kinda picky bout pho so i'll wait for a few more opinions before i try it out but awesome location though right in my hood

Stunt66
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by petoria
i've been waiting 10 years for a pho place to open up in monteray :D

17 S.E. is like a 5 minute drive from monterey and that's where you'll find some of the best pho in town.

Most places can make a decent bun but the soup is where it counts.

petoria
10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

17 S.E. is like a 5 minute drive from monterey and that's where you'll find some of the best pho in town.

Most places can make a decent bun but the soup is where it counts.

20 sec car ride beats 5 min car ride however

yue
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
4 spring rolls for $5!?
4 salad rolls for $6?!

damn man, thats why i don't go out to eat nammer food.
we're always trying to rip everyone off! lol
i'll stick with buying 100 spring rolls for $20

gonefishing
10-08-2008, 07:57 AM
^^^ where do you buy 100 cha goi's for $20? The best i can find them is 10 for $5 = 40 for $20

eb0i
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by gonefishing
^^^ where do you buy 100 cha goi's for $20? The best i can find them is 10 for $5 = 40 for $20

I'm thinking he is referring to the frozen ones you can buy and then fry up yourself.

gonefishing
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
^^^ thats what i was referring to also

Stunt66
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by petoria

20 sec car ride beats 5 min car ride however

You got me there.

I can only imagine the quality of ingredients that go into a batch of spring rolls that are worth 20 cents each. Spring rolls are a total hit or miss, some places fill those things up with nothing but carrots. Home made is the way to go but Pho dau bo has some of the best for a a pho place.

D'z Nutz
03-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I just tried this place out for the first time yesterday. I must say I'm very impressed and can see that as my regular Vietnamese Restaurant, especially since it's in such close, walking distance from me.

Food: 4.5/5
Not only was the food tasty, but it came in very generous proportions. My two sisters and I made an order each plus an order of spring rolls and by the time we were full there was enough food leftover for a whole dish. I already know what I'm ordering next time: Beef stewed with rice noodle soup :drool: My sister ordered it and, holy shit, it was good!

Service: 4/5
As soon as we walked through the doors, we were seated quickly and our order was taken promptly. After we got our food, the waitress did not attend to us anymore. Normally, I'd complain about this, but to be completely fair I'm pretty sure she was the only waitress to attend all the tables of a full house so I'm not going to hold that against her. The food arrived very quickly too.

Price: 4.5/5
The pricing was very typical of most Vietnamese restaurants, but given the amount of portions for each dish, it was definitely a good deal. Three dishes plus the order of spring rolls came up to be under $31 before tip.

Overall, I really like this place. I try supporting neighborhood businesses when I can, so I'm pleased that there's finally a good Vietnamese restaurant within close proximity to where I live. When we got there at about 6:00pm on a Friday night, I'd say about 30% of the tables were filled. By the time our food arrived ~20 minutes later, the restaurant was almost full. Good stuff :thumbsup:

Sorath
03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
damn must try this place, though i frequent pho 88 and pho dau bo so my standards are high!

LongCity
03-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Went there around the time it just opened. Got the pho sate and it was pretty much the exact same thing as Saigon Y2K minus the shitty, chewy meat they serve there. Not that it was bad but there are other places that are a little further that I'd rather go to, haven't been back since.

hampstor
04-04-2009, 11:46 PM
This is an old thread... do any of you guys still goto this place? Still good? I don't mind checking out new pho places from time to time :D

CRXguy
04-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
damn must try this place, though i frequent pho 88 and pho dau bo so my standards are high!

Oh man, that's a good one! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

trieu
04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
They have huge portions and the food is decent but for pho I'd rather go to Rang Dong.

vtec4life
04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
definitaly AWESOME and CLEAN (for now anywayz) lol!!! they have these rice paper roll wraps with different meats! definitely worth it! its like $13 i believe Bagalac charges like around $20 for the same thing (only because its presented nicer..) :thumbsup:

azn_gq
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by vtec4life
definitaly AWESOME and CLEAN (for now anywayz) lol!!! they have these rice paper roll wraps with different meats! definitely worth it! its like $13 i believe Bagalac charges like around $20 for the same thing (only because its presented nicer..) :thumbsup:

my bad.. that quote was actually by me.. vetc forgot to log out and we work at the same place..

anhsicun
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

pho dau bo went down the drain since they had the new owners. alot of places in calgary aint that great anymore quality of the food keeps going down.

LongCity
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Was there again last week... This place is terrible; the soup doesn't have the flavour of pho.