PDA

View Full Version : Removing Overspray from Windows

flipstah
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what can I use to remove clear overspray from all of my car windows. I was trying to use something rough so I used rubbing compound and it was sorta coming off. Any suggestions though?

Long story short, it's not my fault.

And if anyone knows the story with my car, the green is getting lighter. :banghead:

TurboD
10-05-2008, 12:27 AM
clay bar, canadian tire or any detailing shop carries them.

if you dont know what a clay bar is or how to use one, find out.

ive also heard that steel wool works, cannot confirm though.

also razor blade works but you have to be fairly careful

VW337
10-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I used paint thinner on mine and I was very careful going around the edges. Came out pretty good.

flipstah
10-05-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

I might try this method out on the front end of my car actually. See what I can get out of it.

Will check out the clay bar method for the windows though. Paint thinner might be risky for me because I'm clumsy.

I don't need to add more problems on my paintjob. :banghead:

sneek
10-05-2008, 12:36 AM
I am not that sober, but I am pretty sure that if you tape off your trim and use a mr.clean magic eraser with a spray bottle of water you can scrub away the overspray. I will check tomorrow, but is this overspray from that shop??

VW337
10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh and if you do use paint thinner, tape around the edges of the windows and don't get any on any kind of plastic. Good luck :thumbsup:

flipstah
10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I am not that sober, but I am pretty sure that if you tape off your trim and use a mr.clean magic eraser with a spray bottle of water you can scrub away the overspray. I will check tomorrow, but is this overspray from that shop??

Yup. Oh, I drive it at the U at the Art Parkade so if you're free, you can take a look at it.

You wanted to see it I believe?

djayz
10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Acetone...put it on a cloth and wipe away with ease. Just don't get any on your paint or trimmings and cover your nose because its strong shit.

Bakons
10-23-2008, 10:40 PM
i worked in the autobody industry for 4 years, i've always used steel wool from bulldog, to remove overspray, doesn't scratch the windows, it works 100%, just need to push lightly. :thumbsup:

MoneyPit
10-23-2008, 10:42 PM
steel wool leaves swirl marks on the windows. then you have to polish those out.

go to rona, get some lacquer thinner, a rag, and start wiping. You'll leave some smearing that you wipe with glass cleaner.

kevie88
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
brand new razor blades will clean this off no problem.

flipstah
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh, I got rid of it using a claybar and RIGOROUS scrubbing.

Took me hours but it's clean! :clap:

FiveFreshFish
10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Oh, I got rid of it using a claybar and RIGOROUS scrubbing.

Took me hours but it's clean! :clap:

Wheel polish works way better. Would have taken you a couple of minutes. But razor blades are the best as mentioned by Kevie.

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Motorcycle-Accessories/Motorcycle-Polish/Motorcycle-Polish-Mothers-Mag-And-Aluminum-Polish.jpg

Redlyne_jr
10-23-2008, 11:46 PM
razorblades and acetone

flipstah
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Now, I have to work on getting clay residue off my windows.

Is there an appropriate glass cleaner to use or can I just use Windex?

Ichigo
10-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Razor Blades and Steel wool.