PDA

View Full Version : Winter driving

Infusion
10-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I was wonder if a Bmw 330ci would be able to handle very well in the winter? I heard that rear wheel drive cars aren't very good in the winter time. If not ill look into getting a winter beater.

5hift
10-05-2008, 07:00 PM
good set of winter tires and a bit of common sense on the roads and you'll be fine

2EFNFAST
10-05-2008, 08:03 PM
RWD handles awesome in the winter, much better than FWD.

Just learn to drive properly and get some snow tires.

redblack
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
winter tires is a must

VWbloke
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Ditto - good set of winter tires and you're laughing.

atgilchrist
10-05-2008, 08:39 PM
My old 328i was unreal in the snow. Between some Michelin X-ice's and the traction control, you couldn't ask for better traction and control (short of awd).

sxtothe240
10-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
RWD handles awesome in the winter, much better than FWD.

Just learn to drive properly and get some snow tires.

Really? I was told RWD cars are the worst in winter?
(this year will be my first with a rwd)

CivicDXR
10-05-2008, 09:11 PM
RWD is not too bad in the winter as long as you're not driving like an idiot. My first 2 winters (coming into my 3rd now) in a RWD truck, with a decent set of winter tires, I had no problems...

AE92_TreunoSC
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I cant stand bmw's in the winter, but some good tyres and you're laughing.

Casa
10-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I cant stand bmw's in the winter, but some good tyres and you're laughing.

at what joke?

msommers
10-05-2008, 10:29 PM
RWD = Death

962 kid
10-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by msommers
RWD = Death

:werd: instant death

2EFNFAST
10-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sxtothe240

Really? I was told RWD cars are the worst in winter?
(this year will be my first with a rwd)

There's more control if you start to skid, if you know how to handle it.

kevie88
10-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

:werd: instant death

Absolutely. You will be instantly killed or maimed in a horrible firey rollover!! Holy fuck man don't do it!!

Seriously, how many of these threads are there every fall? swear the top three threads come fall time are:

1: When should I put on my winter tires?

Answer: When it snows. Get a set of winters on backup rims and swap them when the weather man says it's going to snow. Simple.

2: Will I instantly die in a fireball if I drive my (X) RWD car in the winter?

Answer: NO. refer back to above answer for more info.

3: What winter tires should I get?

Answer: Any of them. get 4 new snow tires from pretty much any major manufacturer and you're golden.

DannyO
10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
You'll be fine with it if you get winter tires and listen to your common sense, the reason there is mixed opinions on what is best is I have found that...

RWD + average driver = bad

FWD + average driver = good

FWD + experienced driver = very good

RWD + experienced driver = even better

If you know how to handle RWD then when you get into trouble in the winter you still have more of the car under control, if your in FWD and the front slides, you've lost your steering and power, in RWD if you lose the front or the back, you still have some control on the other end of the car.

max_boost
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
You have stability control which is basically dummy proof. Equip it with some winter tires and you'll be set.

VDubbez86
10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
You'll be fine with it if you get winter tires and listen to your common sense, the reason there is mixed opinions on what is best is I have found that...

RWD + average driver = bad

FWD + average driver = good

FWD + experienced driver = very good

RWD + experienced driver = even better

If you know how to handle RWD then when you get into trouble in the winter you still have more of the car under control, if your in FWD and the front slides, you've lost your steering and power, in RWD if you lose the front or the back, you still have some control on the other end of the car.

Thought I would add one to that list

AWD= ThA Shit!!! woot....! yah awd

hampstor
10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Put some winter tires on it. On the first real snowfall, go find an empty parking lot at night and learn to drive it in the snow.

Seriously people have been driving RWD cars in the winter here long before traction control, power steering, ABS, and widespread use of winter tires. You will be fine. :devil:

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I did last winter on all-seasons in an early 90s Mazda MPV (RWD minivan)

Just go slow and practice in a lot.