PDA

View Full Version : EVO Magazine tests hyper cars at the 'ring

E36M3
10-06-2008, 02:08 AM
From a posting on 6speedonline:

Same driver, all prepped by the same highly respected race team. New tires & brakes.

The Ferrari's electronic dampers failed, which means the time could potentially be even better.

Another interesting point is that the CCX-R, despite being the newest car (therefor it should be expected to have all the latest and greatest in gadgetry, aero, etc) was by far the slowest.

-- Got exact times --

1. Maserati MC12 7:24.29
2. Pagani Zonda F Clubsport 7:24.65
3. Ferrari Enzo 7:25.21
4. Porsche Carrera GT 7:28.71
5. Koenigsegg CCX 7:33.55

As far as the current obsession with 'ring times go, I don't give it much merit, as there is always the possibility of cheating with race tires, etc. (like the GTR) and the conditions vary too much day to day, with timing issues, etc. so it is refreshing to hear about a test where as many variables as practical are controlled.. should be a good read.

More details here (and in October's issue of EVO):

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/146901-cgt-vs-enzo-vs-mc12-vs-zonda-vs-ccx-r-ring.html

Hope everyone's favorites met their expectations.. I'm kind of surprised that the Zonda wasn't the fastest to be honest, and I would have guessed the following order:

Zonda/MC12/CGT/Enzo/Koenigsegg

Anyone else care to share what their prediction would have been?

dino_martini
10-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I think my prediction would have been close to that. I would have put the Enzo and the MC12 as the top two, then the Zonda, then the Carrera GT, then the Koenigsegg. The problem with the Koenigsegg is that it has 900hp and all that aerodynamic stuff, but it has none of the electronic trickery that cars like the Enzo and MC12 do.

Pagani Zonda F is by far my favorite, the one I would plunk my money down for. :drool:

http://www.autodestaques.com/imagens/pagani-zonda-f.jpeg

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I'd still get the Koenigsegg, it's environmentally friendly ;)

A790
10-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I'd still get the Koenigsegg, it's environmentally friendly ;)
Explain yourself sir!

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
It runs on ethanol, making it "green" ;)

E36M3
10-06-2008, 10:45 AM
The Zonda is my favorite too. The electronics on the Enzo/MC12 is not really what makes them so fast (as evidenced by the Enzos lap times despite not having the electronic dampening), it is more about the chassis and aero and of course the savage power.

I'm interested to read the article, cause I really thought the CGT would have done better because its power delivery is so huge and flexible.. no surprise that the Zonda kicked some ass though. The CGT and Enzo should be a lot closer, as every other test I have seen puts them neck and neck performance wise. I would definitely have assumed that the MC12 would be a stand-out though as it is much more race oriented than the Enzo/CGT.

It'll also be interesting to confirm that the cars were all bone stock.

Originally posted by dino_martini
I think my prediction would have been close to that. I would have put the Enzo and the MC12 as the top two, then the Zonda, then the Carrera GT, then the Koenigsegg. The problem with the Koenigsegg is that it has 900hp and all that aerodynamic stuff, but it has none of the electronic trickery that cars like the Enzo and MC12 do.

Pagani Zonda F is by far my favorite, the one I would plunk my money down for. :drool:

http://www.autodestaques.com/imagens/pagani-zonda-f.jpeg

Canmorite
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
How close was the Zonda to the MC12? I would of thought the Pagani to be a bit faster. I'll take a Zonda F convertible please :D

E36M3
10-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Within a second, I can post the exact times when the issue is out.. I thought they'd be pretty damn close, but it doesn't really surprise me that the MC12 is faster due to their deep pockets and real commitment to race the thing.

Updated times posted in OP

Originally posted by Canmorite
How close was the Zonda to the MC12? I would of thought the Pagani to be a bit faster. I'll take a Zonda F convertible please :D

E36M3
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Here is a scan of the first page of the article..

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf3=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073&mID=3326075&l=d

94boosted
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Just adds more doubt to the fact that Nissan was able to run a 7:28 with street tires IMO

E36M3
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Absolutely true. It is impossible.. just doesn't make any sense. Keep in mind that the time that it posted was barely behind the Zonda F (separate from the test mentioned in this post) with semi-slicks.. it just doesn't add up.

Originally posted by 94boosted
Just adds more doubt to the fact that Nissan was able to run a 7:28 with street tires IMO