PDA

View Full Version : getting an engagement ring resized

autumnrain
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hello,
so my friend just got engaged and her ring is too big. She got a 5.5 instead of a 4.5. Anyways, where is there a place that they can do it infornt of your eyes? She doesn't want to leave it out of her sight. She can't bring it back to the place she brought it to get it resized as it is half way around the world.
Thanks

Melinda
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Probably not. What is her major fear about leaving it? Pick a reputable shop and take it there. Most of the time it takes them 2 or 3 days to get it all done, so I doubt they'd let her just stand there while they did it.

Thaco
10-06-2008, 10:03 AM
record the serial numbers from the rocks before you give it to them, verify them when you get it back.

slowy
10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
some places will remove the diamond, and let you hold onto it while they resize the ring.

Weapon_R
10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Paul at Imperial Jewelers will let you see the serial number after the repair, or remove the diamond at your request in front of you.

autumnrain
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
whats the cost usually associated with resizing?

TYMSMNY
10-06-2008, 10:10 AM
^ what is the ring made out of.

Destinova403
10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
its hard to have it re-sized because it changes the tension on the stones from what they were originally meant to be... i would take it in to the place you got it and make sure that they make sure the settings are still sound so that you wont lose a gem.

a lot of jewelry stores wont size anything that they didnt sell... (i work at one)

benyl
10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
its hard to have it re-sized because it changes the tension on the stones from what they were originally meant to be... i would take it in to the place you got it and make sure that they make sure the settings are still sound so that you wont lose a gem.

a lot of jewelry stores wont size anything that they didnt sell... (i work at one)

Reading > you.

Originally posted by autumnrain
She can't bring it back to the place she brought it to get it resized as it is half way around the world.
Thanks

Take it to the place near Sunterra in the SW.

That is where I took mine. The dude that works there is too proud to steal the rock.

benyl
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by autumnrain
whats the cost usually associated with resizing?

Haha, in China town you can get it done for $25.

I paid $150 at the guy by Sunterra. What is brutal is that the band was only worth $200 (18K white gold in a tiffany setting).