PDA

View Full Version : Attn: ALL WEB DESIGNERS

Mr_John
09-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm currently studying CNT at sait and do not like it at all. It's not that the course is hard or anything, its just I dont think this is something I'd like to do as my future. Whenever I'm finished my work early or if I'm on a break, I find myself usually doodling around with my Adobe. I enjoy it, so I'm thinking about doing designing instead of CNT. BUT I'm still unsure soo......

I was hoping to get some answers from you designers.
1. Did you go to school to learn adobe, coral, flash, html, java, etc?
If so, where? If not, how did you learn all the stuff?

2. After graduation, how did you manage to find customers OR was it hard to find a job?

3. In 3-4 years, how hard will it be to become successful as a Web Designer?

The way i look at it is.....
I'm only 18 (turning 19 next month) and I'd like to get ahead in life by doing something I like doing. I can always go back to school if this fails out to work. What do you think, am I being stupid? I really want out of CNT. haha

roopi
09-16-2003, 10:35 PM
You will not find it easy to find a job/position at a company as a web designer.

Just learn all the shit yourself and stay with your CNT program. It's nice to have and easier to find work with. You can design on the side and slowly build a nice portfolio over the next 1-2 years.

Then from there just start with contract work until things start rolling.

Davetronz
09-16-2003, 11:14 PM
What semester are you in for CNT?

I am in second.

But I do agree with what Roopi says, stay in the program.

As far as the CNT program goes it offers one of the largest bases for computer employment as you learn electrical, programming, hardware, software, communications, which can be transfered to much in the industry.

Mr_John
09-17-2003, 01:38 AM
how did you all land a job with companies and how long did it take?
Well I would stick to CNT but i hate it. I rather go into marketing or something.
My friend's sister graduated from SAIT 2years ago and is still unemployed. she had taken CNT also. I heard its sorta tough to get a job as an engineer now-a-days also so.... I dont know.
I would really like to take the Beginners class and Intensive class of Web Design and programming at UBC though.
Any other opinions?

Thanks roopi and dak for the help so far.

roopi
09-17-2003, 01:48 AM
i still haven't landed a job. i graduated with my CS degree in April. I'll admit that I haven't really looked very hard up until a few weeks ago. I've had a few interviews so far.

I pretty much just do contract work. It pays the bills.

Unemployed for 2 years doesn't sound to good. Doesn't sound like she had alot of incetive to find a job or gain experience. There is always internships and volunteering that look good on the resume and help get your foot in the door. You can't expect to get the perfect job. Everyone (well almost everyone) has to work a shit job first.

Davetronz
09-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Unemployed for 2 years doesn't sound to good. Doesn't sound like she had alot of incetive to find a job or gain experience. There is always internships and volunteering that look good on the resume and help get your foot in the door. You can't expect to get the perfect job. Everyone (well almost everyone) has to work a shit job first.
Exactly my thoughts.

After finishing a program with around 100-150 graduates a year, you cant just EXPECT to be handed a job....

I still hold my opinion that the SAIT CNT course gives you one of the broadest knowledge bases for entry level positions.

MrJohn, what semester are you in???

Dave

Superesc
09-17-2003, 01:06 PM
if you are thinking of self employ "web designer" then I guess anything goes...
If you are looking at bigger design firms, its usually seperated. We have design dept. that's focus on design (most are graduate out of ACAD with Visual Commuication degree... they don't all have a lot of "computer" knowledge). Then there's the Web Dev. dept, which mainly deals with HTML/Coding etc (Backend / database / web apps are seperate dept.)

So I guess depends on which area you are in to.

Mr_John
09-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Roopi: Good luck with your interviews man

FastDak: finished first semester already... taking a break because I'm not sure if CNT is what I want to do. So basically I should be in second semester too. I heard it doesnt get anymore fun then that either so... this is why I'm rethinking my options. I have a couple of friends in third and fourth semester CNT right now and they dont like it either. How are you liking it? It's not too bad of a course but its not something I wanna do all my life.

Superesc : I was hoping to do more of the Web development. I've always wanted to make pages with Flash... and I want to learn more about Photoshop.
I wouldnt mind doing html/java and that stuff either... its hard stuff but I'd be willing to do it all.
was it hard for you to find a job and hows the salary, is it decent at least?

VWbloke
09-17-2003, 02:29 PM
You should look into the Electronic Publishing program at Mount Royal.

It's a four-year, B.A. of Communications degree program and you learn web development stuff as well as print design stuff.

The program includes two paid work-terms, so it's not too hard to find a placement once you're graduated. I'm in my final year and am finishing my second work term for a web development company right now.

I'll finish my last semester of classes in January and then probably go back to work for the company I'm at now once I'm completely done.

Superesc
09-17-2003, 02:32 PM
again depending on company, some of what you want to do is only for certain position, with Flash and such, we have Rich media group that usually do them. Within the Rich media dept there's 2 group, one is more toward design/motion graphic/intermediate scripting; some of us designer also do this part, and the other is coding dept.(advanced actionscriptings/etc). Web Dev. dept is strictly html/xml/js/etc. we do not let them touch design :D

One important thing is, knowing how to use a tool such as PS does not make a designer. :) Many of our designer starts here with very very minimal online knowledge or even computer knowledge.

you can have a look at here for all the different position/dept in our company:
http://www.criticalmass.com/medium/hr/future_0.html

Mr_John
09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
VWbloke: how much are you paying for tuition and books a year?
hmmm I might be interested in that one, it sounds really good.

Superesc: where did you go to school and what exactly are you at critical mass (which department)?

Weapon_R
09-17-2003, 04:49 PM
I'd get out of CNT if I were you. There is simply not enough work for graduates from this discipline. I know two people (you can add that to your list) who graduated about a year ago who have still had difficulty landing good jobs. The best that one of them did was land a job at Royal bank, making 10/hr in a totally unrelated field.

Mr_John
09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up Weapon_R.
i've pretty much decided to get out of CNT and go into Web Designing. Just need to decide where. haha
Thanks for the help you guys!!

Superesc
09-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John Superesc: where did you go to school and what exactly are you at critical mass (which department)?

I am a sr. designer there. Was at UofM before I came, didn't graduate, just got the job and came. Been here for 5 years now. Show them my portfolio site and that was it. I think I got it easy since I don't have a print portfolio, guess it was the right timing.

eur0
09-17-2003, 07:22 PM
I have been doing graphic/web design on and off for 7 years lol, im 18 and havnt really found enough work to take it seriously. Right now im taking computer science at uofc so I gotta see how that goes, just playing it all by ear. Oh super, how long were u designing before cm? were you solo?

Davetronz
09-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Mr_John:
I love it, no problems at all. The only problem is that my math is very weak and second semester gets really math heavy so I have been working overtime. I just really like being at SAIT, I was at U of C before this and I hated it.

Moonracer
09-17-2003, 11:07 PM
:clap: I guess I'm not doing too bad, just did my second website to which I actually got paid $200 bucks. :nut: I'm a total rookie......lol

eur0
09-17-2003, 11:30 PM
what site?

RiCE-DaDDy
09-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by VWbloke
You should look into the Electronic Publishing program at Mount Royal.

It's a four-year, B.A. of Communications degree program and you learn web development stuff as well as print design stuff.

The program includes two paid work-terms, so it's not too hard to find a placement once you're graduated. I'm in my final year and am finishing my second work term for a web development company right now.

I'll finish my last semester of classes in January and then probably go back to work for the company I'm at now once I'm completely done.

MRC is able to give out degrees??:confused:

Oh yea, market is still kinda bad for IT stuff. At my summer job, there was a ComSCi grad that we hired for a day from a temp agency, a TEMP agency!!! Also my friend just got a smal contract job and he gradutated last year, my other friend got laid off, now hes on contract. But its NOT like horrible. Sorry if I kinda worried you guys, im in the same boat too, so its all good :)

Superesc
09-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by tbk49
Oh super, how long were u designing before cm? were you solo?

not long, probably 2 years... not professional, just for fun and personal sites/portfolio...

Moonracer
09-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by tbk49
what site?

Well try not to laugh...lol It's very basic and simple but easy to use and they are selling their dogs like crazy so that's the main thing. Here is the link, it's a dog breeder site whom we got our dog from as well. :D

Ta daaa this is the link...click here...lol (http://www.mountainrosekennel.com/)

RiCE-DaDDy
09-18-2003, 10:45 PM
nice site, does the job, but there are girls on CP with better pages :D

Moonracer
09-18-2003, 10:52 PM
lol I wouldn't doubt it but they probly used some sort of easy pagemaker or something maybe :dunno: I used frontpage and I could do better but I had to do it up fast so that's what worked.

tt398
09-21-2003, 10:31 AM
The telecomm and networking sector is very DEAD right now..
Just another example of a "boom and bust" cycle..

wontonton_65
09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Id say it really depends on timing. Dont expect to make 60G a year right after school try 24G maybe less. intership and juinor doesnt make much at all. Also Make sure your work is solid. because the market is PACKED with designers... many people hire you based on B-Arts. not sait. remeber you have to compete against the market.

1. Did you go to school to learn adobe, coral, flash, html, java, etc? Yes most school will show you the tools. but design is for you to study.

2. After graduation, how did you manage to find customers OR was it hard to find a job? I was offered 2 postions right of out school other in my class didnt have any or interviews. I even passed on refrels to employers. because i had a job.

3. In 3-4 years, how hard will it be to become successful as a Web Designer? Im been a Designer for 5 years, ive worked with 3 companys already and worked with animation studio and game studio also. You will learn the industry is not a freedom 55 set be prepare to jump studios. Also the industry is based upon who you know. But if your portfolio is SOLID then you will have no problem finding a job. or generating a job of your own.

LEARN MORE THAN JUST WEB OR ELSE YOU WILL NOT SURVIE!
programming helps alot also.

thats my 2 cents