PDA

View Full Version : Gnc machine

civic_rida
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Has anyone tried the machine outside of gnc at chinook?
It measures your height, weight, bmi, body fat, and heat rate.
How accurate is this machine?

semograd
10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis not very accurate for measuring body fat

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Funny thing... when I bought my scale the sales person said weigh yourself after a shower...

So curiousity got the best of me... weigh before, get bf%.... shower, weigh again.. bf% drops 2% from a shower... woohoo get me an infomercial, do I have something to sell the masses...

My scale has hydration on it as well... although I am not sure how accurate it is I know that if I am low the bf% shoots up, and if I have drank a ton, bf% goes down. Assuming that this has something to due with the ease of the current passing through your body :dunno:

I have the hand model as well and it is more accurate than the scale, but still not as good as the calipers (either electronic or mechanical), but still not that far off.

BMI is a ridiculas measurment... even my GP says so, which amazed me.

kerry
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Best way to find out your BF is go get a pinch test done. Don't know who does em in Calgary, but it's one of the more accurate ways of testing.

kutt3r
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by kerry
Best way to find out your BF is go get a pinch test done. Don't know who does em in Calgary, but it's one of the more accurate ways of testing.

As long as the person doing it knows what they are doing it...and preferably not using plastic calipers.....and there are three different versions, 3 point 7 point and 9 or 11 point.. something like that.. it has been a while.. I use a 3 point as it is close enough as I am no athelete.

I would reccomend the University or Talisman Centre.. I know there are credible people there, some gyms might have people that can do it.

Buffalo Soldier
10-08-2008, 03:01 PM
you can buy a body fat caliper for like 10 bucks at gnc. Its the plastic one but it works great. The more points you take the more accurate it is.